Sign in to follow this  
pikachief

Possibility Of Level Editor Smart Phone App?

So sometimes in class I'll draw little level layouts on the margins of my papers and I was thinking to myself, "Self", I said, "You know what would be awesome?" (no response of course, I don't talk to myself that would be ridiculous) "If there was an app where I could create BBT level layouts on the go so I can have a layout all created and prepared for me to plop into the game when I get home!" You know, I could also save it and it would look neater than on a piece of paper.

So basically what I'm asking is if anyone knows if there would be a possibility of The Behemoth making a phone app that was basically the level editor so we can create map's on the go! (of course without the ability to transfer it into our xbox consoles, but transfering it manually ourselves wouldn't be too bad either) The level creator seems really simple and uses a grid so I figured making maps on a phone would be pretty simple too!

Would anyone else use a BBT Level creator app? or just me?

This would be such a time sink while my gf watched Netflix/hulu. Still waiting on clash of heroes to drop on Android, if this came out I'd never set my tablet down. (even at work)

Seems there has to be an app for everything.

I won't pretend to know the inner workings of game development, but wouldn't putting resources into creating this app take away time from future Behemoth titles? It sounds like a neat idea for the creative thinker on the go, but not many people are capable of creating a decent level.

I'd truthfully rather have The Behemoth pool their resources into their next game.

I understand that, and I totally would not want something like this take time and rescources from their next game, but they should also continue to support BBT in a variety of ways, and I know they're doing that.

Also I know their busy with a bug fix, future Furbottoms', and getting the soundtrack out also. But if it didnt take up too much time and rescources I think it would be an awesome thing to have out there.

Oh and it could help those who arent very good at maps better, and possibly ease people into making maps who mah be intimidated by the idea originally.

• Upvote 1

This would be awesome especially if they made it for both droid and apple so everyone could have it 

*Cough* Windows Phone *Cough*

*Cough* Smartglass *Cough*

It wouldn't be all that difficult to complete this sort of practice via a third party. You could create symbolic representations of each type of block and allow players to place these on a grid. Saving and loading could be accomplished within the app storage.

You could doodle these on standard graph paper, if you're looking to draw levels in your free time. You could use a variety of colored pencils or letters to represent the different blocks. For example, the slow moving block could be represented by a pink colored cell on graph paper, or by the letter 'S' for slow. When you got home, you could easily piece these symbols to create your levels.

The creation of an app would be similar to this, but could be graphically enhanced over the graph paper based equivalent. We would just need someone with app development experience (for whichever mobile platform) and the right to be able to develop an app potentially using assets from the game (which would probably force the maker to market their app for free, only).

Smartglass is a great idea, I would love messing with the blocks on my Surface Pro or desktop and then send them over to the game to be made. Complicated coding for a such a small studio though, huge undertaking which wouldn't be worth the effort.

Edited by DarkenedNight
  • Upvote 2

This is a neat idea.  Isn't testing the level as you go crucial, though?

That's what I was going to say. How can you know if the level is quality if you can't test it until it's too late?

Ah, I suppose that is very true. And a mobile version wouldn't work in my opinion as reflexes and good control seems very key to these types of games, especially for play-testing.

The only other option would be the ability to hit some sort of "Play" button so that way you could see all the parts in motion so you get an idea of how the map really acts when you'd be playing... but the app would probably forever feel like it was missing something I think.

Haha oh well! I'll stick to graph paper! :) (unless any of you forum members can think of some great solutions! :D )

Thanks for your input Danp!

Edited by pikachief

​I would enjoy something like that. I can only create absolutely horrid levels, but I can always dawdle in them while screwing around with blocks and such and remind myself of what I can't accomplish.

I still think it's key focus of graphing out an outline to what you may find as a creative or good idea for a level on the go isn't bad. It's basically like the initial design, so whenever you are able to get back on BBT you just have to pop it on over and then playtest. Make a few changes accordingly. Playtest some more. It still isn't quite there, so you just make more tweaks until it's ready. I've had plenty of nifty ideas that, without getting down on paper, seem fleeting in my mind when I don't have access to my household TV or the game. I don't think it has to be fully fleshed-out level editing experience, but more like a virtual piece of graphing paper (which is still a great solution but would cost much more time or plenty more pencils / colors) with the game's editing elements already intact. I don't know...still seems like a useful tool on my end to spur on imagination while away from the game. Also, maybe you could share your designs with others to get feedback from the community who really cares about these fanmade levels before even starting on and perhaps wasting time on something that others may not appreciate. 2 cents.

Edited by DavidB

There is a thread on here though that details jump limits and how far you can throw your team mate etc, incorporating this into the design of the app would mean you could measure out pixel perfect maps and almost eliminate the need for testing until you got home and set everything out?

I'm quite a wiz at flash and could easily design an online app - of course I shant due to copyright reasons, but... the possibility is there...

• Upvote 1

Well the whole purpose of having the app is to carefully document the concept of a level design. Someone who has become highly familiarized in the way the game has been built could easily manage the construction of a level without testing it. The idea was thought up because 'pikachief' was not able to access an Xbox at the time.

I used Google Sketchup to build maps for Halo: Reach, but was never able to test their full dimensions until I got to a console, but it allowed me to get a rough idea on how I wanted to approach the design that was bouncing around in my head at the time.

So long as the map design has been saved to the device, the user could easily look between devices to recreate their level in record time. On the development side, a Smartglass app could be developed to directly port over distinct pieces, which wouldn't be all that difficult, as you could assign a binary value using a byte for each square, giving you a possibly 255 options for each space on a grid, which would translate very easily.

Edited by DarkenedNight

This is a neat idea. Isn't testing the level as you go crucial, though?

There is a thread on here though that details jump limits and how far you can throw your team mate etc, incorporating this into the design of the app would mean you could measure out pixel perfect maps and almost eliminate the need for testing until you got home and set everything out?

I'm quite a wiz at flash and could easily design an online app - of course I shant due to copyright reasons, but... the possibility is there...

Sorry I accidentally posted this wrong on my phone.

I was trying to say that even without the ability to properly test, I feel as though the app would still be useful in gathering ideas for map layouts. Also as others said, you could use something to represent jumps and throws in the map.

A way i'd suggest is if we were able to place little jump and throw animations that are only used as a way to see how high or how far you'd be jumping/throwing someone. The animation would ghost through objects and just be for reference of course, to not interfere with the map.

Also if you could make it a smart glass map so that we actually could transfer to the game, that would be even sweeter!! If not, i'd still love it.

With the issue of play testing: it is crucial in map design, but you could play test it when you put it into the game! If it doesnt play the way you'd like it to or just doesnt work, adjustments are usually small differences, unless you went and made a bad map from the start.

But then again, being able to animate the map, and possibly even use reference animations, would definitely decrease the chance of design errors if you could see it all in motion.

Edited by pikachief

Came in to say I love this idea and if anyone decides to talk to Behemoth & gets the ok do make this. You have my money already.