GamerGuy09

How Do I Figure Out The Time It Takes For Me To Finish A Level?

I'm not sure how I go about figuring the best time for the A++ ranking. Should I just use my time, or do mine but minus a few seconds. Also how can I tell how long it took for me to beat the level. It seems like there is no timer.

Just keep going faster until you get it, pretty much. It's kept a secret. It's like this if you make a level too; you can set the time, but no one will know it but you.

There is no leaderboard for best time on each level, if that's what you're looking for.

EDIT: Disregard this post, I forgot what section this topic was in.

Edited by Babadingldoo

I just used a stopwatch on my phone, but you can also change the game-type to challenge and use the timer at the top of the screen. 

For the time I would say always minus a few seconds depending on the difficulty, amount of puzzles, length, etc.. 

For a challenge level with no puzzles I would say add between 5-15 seconds depending on length and difficulty.

For adventure levels with a few puzzles, you always want to make sure it is possible for the player to get the A++ time 1st time playing if they make no mistakes, but take a few seconds to figure out the puzzles, so I'd say be lenient on the times for these sorts of levels.

• Upvote 1

I think an A++ ranking should be awarded to a nearly flawless run - test it a few times using a stopwatch or by changing the game-type to challenge (be aware of the 10 seconds bonus for every checkpoint though) as suggested scottie, select the best ones (or the most frequent, using your judgement/depending on the level) and round up the average.

I think that you, the creator, should be capable of getting an A++ with a pretty good, if not perfect, run, but you can fine-tune this to your needs depending on the level of challenge you wish to provide.

A++s should always be possible though!

Just test it in challenge mode. Use the timer, though minus the extra time you get for getting checkpoints. Do it a few times, lowering the time (just remember that checkpoints in challenge mode add to your time, so don't count them!) to see if you can do it faster, and faster until you can't do it. Though it's not likely that someone will play your level a bunch of times in a row to get a really hard time, so make it fair.

Sounds like all good ideas.  The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that the Finales and Encores in an Adventure Playlist use the same time slider for their level times.  It's a good idea to not make these perfect run times; people get discouraged if they have an unreasonable low level time.  Instead, make the level times for these reasonably challenging but fair, and make the A++ difficulty come from hidden and/or side Strawberries and Pie, and more challenging sequences.  

And keep up the good work.  We're having fun playing everyone's levels!

• Upvote 2

I time myself, but I let myself die at every obstacle to compensate for the players not knowing the layout of the level. It usually makes for a decent time.

Sounds like all good ideas.  The only thing I would add is to keep in mind that the Finales and Encores in an Adventure Playlist use the same time slider for their level times.  It's a good idea to not make these perfect run times; people get discouraged if they have an unreasonable low level time.  Instead, make the level times for these reasonably challenging but fair, and make the A++ difficulty come from hidden and/or side Strawberries and Pie, and more challenging sequences.  

Fair and useful distinction! Thanks for pointing that out :)

I used to set A++ times by near-perfect, deathless runs but the I relaxed them a little bit once I thought that one could always play in insane mode for that extra thrill. They're still hard-ish though, I'll have a couple of friends test the levels with me while I don't help and take the time, that will probably make for final time sliders adjustments before uploading.

Disregard this if you're the creator of 8-E2. :roll:

• Upvote 1

I actually set my times for A++ at what it takes me to clear a level plus two inconvenient deaths plus a few seconds. I made the wretched thing, if I have a hard time clearing it in three minutes most strangers of moderate skill should probably take three and a half. Remember, ROMhacks aren't very many peoples idea of fun.

I'm not sure how I go about figuring the best time for the A++ ranking. Should I just use my time, or do mine but minus a few seconds. Also how can I tell how long it took for me to beat the level. It seems like there is no timer.

So what i do is turn on the timer by holding "LT". And proceeding to the 9th colum and changing the "Gem" to a "Clock Sign". This will put a timer above your head. I set mine to 2:00 minutes usually and then i beat the level and see how much time it took me to get to the exit after getting all strawberries and pie. Then i just tweak the time up or down depending and retest again. Once i have found a time that feels right i switch the "Clock Sign" back to the "Gem" and save. Unless of course your map is a challenge map, in which case you'd leave the Clock Sign".

Edited by Swik

Agreed, I set the game type to challange by selecting the clock, then run the level with the time I think it might need. Challange mode adds 10 seconds to the timer each time you touch a check point so make sure to add that extra time into your calculation. Or you can keep it on adventure mode and use a stop watch or some other timer.

What I do is I walk as much of the level as possible instead of jumping or taking any type of short cut. I walk the level 3 times and take the average time, then I add a few seconds if I think the level is complex or if it has a puzzle that doesn't have an immediate obvious solution.

After I'm comfortable I ask a few friends to test the level as well, either have them come over in person or goto multiplayer, furbottom features, Playlists I've created and pick my levels on the HDD. Then I invite my friend over XBL to the private lobby and I stand there and watch while they play through the level.

If friends agree the time is acceptable I move on to the next. If friends find any issues then I raise the time until we get to a concensus this is good.

Thats only for standard adventure levels. For the challange levels (Cat door and Encores) I generally take the time I think it can be compleated and then add another 30 sec or minute to the timer to compensate for lower skilled players since you "have" to make the time in the challange levels. You don't have to make the time in adventure to complete them.

hey whats up, im not sure if anyone has suggested this but what you can do is in your level editor put a checkpoint right before your exit and then do a speed run... the checkpoint should tell you how long it took you to get there

• Upvote 3

hey whats up, im not sure if anyone has suggested this but what you can do is in your level editor put a checkpoint right before your exit and then do a speed run... the checkpoint should tell you how long it took you to get there

that is a great idea i didn't really ever think of doing that thanks :D

• Upvote 1