Guest_Kyle

[17-May-2013] Design With The Devs: The Pickened

Welcome Theaterettes, Theaterees, Theateroes, and Theateroines!

Yesterday, we talked about and played through three CoOp candidates for Fubottom’s Features in our Design With The Devs Twitch.TV stream. Today, we’ll reveal our FINAL CHOICE (can you feel the excitement!!) at the end of this post. You can watch the video here:

http://www.twitch.tv/thebehemoth/b/404366325

I can see your drool dripping onto your keyboards, so I’ll make this short and sweet. And tasty. Like a chocolate filled dwarf. I’d like to welcome you to this week’s features:

Solo

Playlist: Welcome Home

Creator: m4dmuffinNL

WelcomeHome.jpg

At first glance you might be thinking “Aww, look at the cute butterfly! This is going to be gentle and caring!” You would be wrong, so very wrong. Through a cipher I found on the information highway, m4d does not stand for “Money For Dough,” but instead it is code from this so called “Leet speak.” I believe it is derived from a language used by lentils that predates modern human language, hence the numbers, because, you know, that's how plants talk. 

Anyways, that would mean their name spells MAD and that’s the perfect word to describe this level scientist. This muffin has taken inspiration from in-game sequences and created never-seen-before mechanics in this MAD house. There are grenades turning off fans, horse-fridges trampling cats, and mind mashing puzzles. So come inside and kick off your shoes, because you are welcomed here. Welcome Home.

WelcomeHome3.jpg

And now, the moment you have all been waiting for! The winner of yesterday’s Design With The Devs is:

Co-Op

Playlist: CantCompareLove

Creator: Lieutenant AI

CantCompareLove2.jpg

After much debate, we, the level designers, decided this playlist had the greatest level of polish and best usage of CoOp mechanics. Lieutenant AI does a great job of teaching new mechanics and then ramping them up later in their campaign. With massive portal puzzles, shuffle blocks labyrinths, and rocketbot death-runs this playlist will keep you on the knuckles of your toes. All the playlists we played yesterday were fantastic and just because the other playlists didn’t make it this time doesn’t mean they can’t be featured in the future. You can relive our decisional experience by watching our Design With The Devs video and join us next time to win prizes, chat with us live, and have some good ol' fashion fun!

For completing either (solo or coop) Furbottom's Features this week you'll receive this little guy:

FeaturePost_CatControl.jpg

Isn't he cute!

Is the cat control head for coop or singleplayer?

Both when there is only one head to get it means both. :D

Is the cat control head for coop or singleplayer?

Both when there is only one head to get it means both. :D

Thanks

As with the last time the Solo/CoOp was updated I will be posting a video of the new playlist later today if I can get my software to stop screwing up

Hey @KMKHunter If you haven't checked out the twitch stream, we played your MindBenderPlus1 if you want to get our tips and opinions on it. That and we gave you a new nickname. So.... enjoy that..

Hey @KMKHunter If you haven't checked out the twitch stream, we played your MindBenderPlus1 if you want to get our tips and opinions on it. That and we gave you a new nickname. So.... enjoy that..

I watched the recording last night and was pleasently surprised when I saw my Playlist. I'm actually in process of applying some polish to the playlist using your suggestions during the video.

Also on the Portals level, the bottom of the set wasn't an oversight on the co-op jump. The intention was to bring one of the rocks from the bottom left corner of the level to jump off of.

I'm hoping to see more LiveStreams in the future.

Kiss My KitKats!

Edited by KMKHunter
  • Upvote 1

Oh my what a glorious Friday! A super cool new prisoner with the Solo feature I liked the most so far. I already played it before and liked it a ton and I am really happy to see it featured, I think it stands out in a lot of ways. Can't wait to try the coop too, from what I've seen in the twitch stream it will be good as well.

As always Kudos to the chosen designers and thanks for giving us cool levels to play with :)

P.S.

Solo feature's third encore has some bat-poop crazy jumps!

Thank you all so much! Thank you "The Behemoth" team! Thank you all players!

I'm really honored you picked my playlist as Furbottum's Features.

Of course I had a little bit of hope that they will pick my playlist! But it's truly amazing that they really pick my playlist. :D

Yesterday I was reading on the forum, I started to read the new Furbottum's Features when i suddenly saw it was my playlist.  :D 

It was a total surprise for me!  :o

Anyways i hope you all enjoy it! and for more information about "Welcome Home" check out the forum -> "Community

Theater - Playlist Promo" -> "Solo Adventure Playlist: Welcome Home" 

ps If anyone need some help with some parts, feel free to contact me!

Really enjoyed the solo playlist, it was much more challenging than the last and had a lot of things I hadn't seen often or even at all before. The use of alternate paths was done really well and I loved how challenging the last 2 encore levels were. Took me a few tries to finally beat the last one but it was very rewarding when I completed it.

Co-op was fun too, but I will say that the creator reused obstacles too much for my liking.  The "plinko" like obstacle with the shifting blocks and the grenades was frustrating because sometimes the shifting blocks would move in a way that prevented you from moving on in the level.  I just don't think a frustrating obstacle like that should be used in three different levels.  Another obstacle that was overused, though easy to beat, was the alternating clouds and lava blocks.  All in all I enjoyed both, but I thought the co-op could have used some more variety.

hey behometh i may have already tolled you guys this but i really think you guys should create a hall of fame for all the featured levels in the past present and future, you guys could even put it in the game itself :)

Here is this week's Furrbottom Feature Solo playlist part 1. I was feeling kinda sick at the time, so my voice is weird and quiet, I apologize. Anyway, here ya go

Part 2: 

Edited by Mr. Hatty

The solo playlist is pretty good again this week, more of a challenge than the last set of levels. It was just a shame I had already played them. Haven't been able to try the co-op levels yet though as I keep getting the Service Not Available message (since yesterday).

Edit: CatControl is the best head since Chicken, really like the design. Shame half the leaderboards are using it though.

Edited by BigSilverBear