Sign in to follow this  
8Bitten

Falsely Reporting Playlists

False Reports  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many incorrect times should someone be allowed to falsely report a playlist.

• 0 Times, They shouldn't be allowed to ever falsely report a playlist.
    • Once, They probably reported it by accident.
    • Twice, They deserve the benefit of the doubt atleast twice.
    • They should always be allowed to report a playlist, regardless of past false reports.

Hey everyone! Today was the second day of my playlist being released. 6 weeks of designing compiled into one playable adventure for all to enjoy, that is, if it was still in the community levels section.

Where is it? Gone. Why? Someone reported it. Was there anything wrong, explicit in the playlist? Nope.

I want to protect lil' Johnny's and lil' Susie's innoncence just as much as anybody else, but false reports are still an issue.

I also know this has happened to several other people, and false reports on playlists are aggravating to say the least. Whether it be because the person playing it rage-quit, or simply because they didn't like the creator, someone deciding to falsely report a playlist isn't right. And I think it raises the question: What should be done?

If someone simply decided to flag several playlists, they'd be gone, atleast until behemoth clears them. But what happens if the person continues to falsely report more playlists? I think a warning system should be set in place.

My personal opinion:
If someone falsely reports a playlist once, fine, it could have been an accidental button press on the rating screen, but I think they deserve a warning. However, if someone falsely reports a playlist twice, I think their ability to report playlists should be revoked.

Not to mention checking through reported playlists when there's nothing wrong with them has to be annoying for the people working at the behemoth too.

I'm not mad at the person who reported my playlist, assuming it wasn't intentional. But I'd certainly like a solution to this issue to be instituted in the future.

Edit 6/11/13:

Luckily, since I've posted this, my playlist has been restored, showing the behemoth are still very diligent about checking through reported playlists. Regardless, I still feel the system is being abused by players, and that's not excusable.

Edited by 8Bitten

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how exactly do you expect the system to determine what's a false report and what isn't?

I think a change to the reporting system (assuming the coding of the game allows for that to happen) would be a more realistic goal in my opinion.

Edited by T Diamond

I'm not disagreeing with you, but how exactly do you expect the system to determine what's a false report and what isn't?

Well determining what's a false report and what isn't is up to the behemoth (after all they do check all reported playlists), but once they've cleared a falsely reported playlist I think they should issue a warning to the person who reported it.

If a report was legitimate after the behemoth has reviewed a playlist, by all means the reporter was justified and the playlist should stay removed.

Edited by 8Bitten
  • Upvote 1

Can you re-upload it? I know you worked hard.. it had a Cut scene! D:

There's no need to re-upload it, assuming someone at behemoth gets around to approving it and re-adding it to the community theater. But it's still frustrating to have it be taken off of the community levels for whatever time it takes them to do so... It's just disappointing, especially because I'd asked several of my friends to try it out today, and when they opened up BattleBlock it was gone.

Another frustrating aspect, as selfish as this may be, is when your level is reported and removed from community levels, however short or long a period of time that may be, you're losing potential plays. And as a designer you want the largest possible audience to see your work, and when it's removed, that isn't happening.

Having your playlist falsely reported (whether it be by accident or not) by another player is just frustrating as a whole. I certainly understand the behemoth's "immediate removal" system they have in place to preserve innocence or filter explicit things, but if there's no way to prevent future false reports from the same people, the system is really broken.

Edited by 8Bitten
  • Upvote 1

When a certain number of users do this, the playlist is placed in a hold where they are inaccessible to the community for safety's sake. We don't want to sear any little kiddos' eyeballs with naughty, naughty words.

Our moderators endeavor to review any playlists placed on hold within 24 hours on business days. If the moderators find that there is no infringing content during their review, they will restore the playlist.

In any community, some folks are going to report levels that don't actually have anything wrong with them. There are consequences to doing this, though -- reporting something inaccurately can eventually draw Microsoft's attention to your LIVE account. Then, they may take action on the account.

All would-be false reporters: take a minute to think about how scary that sounds. 

MICROSOFT MAY TAKE ACTION ON YOUR ACCOUNT. O_o;;; 

TL;DR -- 

If your playlist is missing, a decent number of users may have reported it.  Maybe due to infringing content, maybe jealousy -- who knows?

AND DON'T REPORT TROLL, KIDDOES. ;)

http://forums.thebehemoth.com/index.php?/topic/14933-levels-disappear-from-community/#entry288091

;-)

While I do agree with you on falsely reporting and that it shouldn't be done, maybe creators should also make sure their levels are foolproof. The person who reported it may have done it in order to alert you to some mistake in the level creation. I know that one of the user-created levels I played had forgotten to put a "stop sign" for the bird on BOTH SIDES. I accidentally made the bird go the wrong way and i had to wait about 5 minutes waiting for the bird to walk all the way around the level. It's not such a big deal, as I could just restart the level, but it's really annoying if you keep messing up. And giving a level "one-star" doesn't really alert a creator, it more or less just tells them what players think of their level creation skills, averaged with the other players ratings.

tl;dr

Some of the reports may just be to alert the creator to some flaw in their levels. Might make it harder for Behemoth to create a basis on what is a false report or not.

While I do agree with you on falsely reporting and that it shouldn't be done, maybe creators should also make sure their levels are foolproof. The person who reported it may have done it in order to alert you to some mistake in the level creation. I know that one of the user-created levels I played had forgotten to put a "stop sign" for the bird on BOTH SIDES. I accidentally made the bird go the wrong way and i had to wait about 5 minutes waiting for the bird to walk all the way around the level. It's not such a big deal, as I could just restart the level, but it's really annoying if you keep messing up. And giving a level "one-star" doesn't really alert a creator, it more or less just tells them what players think of their level creation skills, averaged with the other players ratings.

tl;dr

Some of the reports may just be to alert the creator to some flaw in their levels. Might make it harder for Behemoth to create a basis on what is a false report or not.

My opinion:

I certainly understand how someone may think reporting a level in this situation might be a viable solution, but it's still not the way to handle the situation. A simpler solution would simply be to message the creator as to what was wrong with their playlist, as opposed to reporting it for an issue that has nothing to do with whether the playlist is broken or bugged. Hopefully they will have a back-up draft and will be able to re-upload a fixed version. I think that would be a much better course of action.

Though I totally agree with you on the "creators should make sure their levels are foolproof" point. Testing your traps and puzzles countless times to make sure your level can't be broken is essential.

Edited by 8Bitten

I spent 3 weeks on my new playlist "Hattington Bros" pulled an all nighter to finish it yesterday. I had 4 people test it and adjusted tons to make it hard but not impossible. I uploaded it today and 15 hours later its gone. This is the third time one of my playlists has been falsly reported. Its still in coop but it is gone in solo. This reporting system is being abused, there should be a 3 strike rule of the same reported issue before its taken down. I have nothing worth reporting and its frustrating to see my hardwork thrown away. This needs to be fixed!! And in my playlist the last level had 3 strawberries instead of 7 but that is all I messed up on. This was fixed in coop but not in solo do to a power outage that did not save final touches I guess or maybe i saved to my HD instead of my flashdrive. hmmm

Edited by Swik

There should also be an "exempt from report auto-removal" status that can be triggered. At least 2 catigories of exempt I can think of. Playlists that are in Furbottom's Features which have obviously already been reviewed by staff and playlists that have already been reported, removed, reviewed and reposted.

I think the exempt levels should still be put on the review list so staff can double check just in case they missed somthing and the community catches it. But no reason for auto remove when staff should have caught the obviously offensive or what ever content on the first review process.

Edit: Also note reporting is for discriminating, explicit or obscene content, foul language, license infringment, illegal advertising and illegal content. Not to "let someone know there is a bug"

Edited by KMKHunter

Please fix this?! Welcome Home is gone for about 2 days now. How is this possible when this list is furbottums featered already?

As KVKHunter explained, I totally support a report for discriminating, foul language, illegal advertising and illegal content, etc, etc.

But reporting for a bug.....come on........... and removing a chosen furbottums featered playlist for a report is a bit weird.

I think the 'Report playlist' button should be removed because it just leads to people with immature behaviour going around reporting every playlist for fun. Or Behemoth should only take into consideration a playlist being bad only if it has more than, say, 10 reports.