Behemoth_Erin

[14-June-13] Furbottom's Feature: The Blubber Breakfast Battle

And this week's Furbottom's Feature are....!

Solo Playlist: WaffleLand
Designer: I kill all 888

Coop Playlist: The Adventure
Designer: Blubber Sammich

So yeah, this weeks Solo Feature was created by a designer known as "I kill all 888".

Blubber1.jpg

Look, I know how that sounds, but trust me, there's nothing to worry about. With BattleBlock Theater players now numbering in the 250,000's, your chances of being one of these so-called "888" is, like, slim to none. Statistically speaking, we're talking a .3, .4 percent chance of being killed by this week's Feature designer, and them's good odds no matter how you slice it. Or he slices it.

Blubber2.jpg

Thankfully, "I kill all 888"'s WaffleLand is just as advertised: full of delicious nooks and crannies just waiting to be discovered. They reminded us of the later levels of Story mode where the focus is on finding and creating unexpected pathways, but like the most freshly buttered of waffles, this batch is satisfying without being too difficult to chew.

Blubber3.jpg

Man, all this waffle-talk is making me hungry-- it's a good thing I also have this Blubber Sammich on hand.

Waffle1.jpg

Not to say this week's Coop Feature designer makes them outta real Blubber (cuz whaling is illegal, yo), but these levels do demonstrate a mastery over things all things large and heavy, whether we're talking whales or BattleBlock Theater Boulders. Personal favorites include coop-enforcing boulders that create one-way doors and a boulder that kept telling me, "Hey, I'm blocking a laser but now I'm not and your dead."

Waffle2.jpg

Just be careful about how you place the one at the beginning of level 7... depending on where you place him, he'll seem like your best friend, but then SPOILERS: he's actually a total jerk. It's all about the Monkey-bar mastery. You'll see what I mean.

Waffle3.jpg

And speaking of awesome segues about mastering monkeys, this week's prisoner is Tiny Monkey.

FeaturePost_TinyMonkey.jpg

He is a monkey with a tiny head. Complete either of this week's Furbottom's Features to release him into your heart!

Featured Furbottom's Feature [14 June 13] - [28 June 13]

Just traded the head for Furbottom then got it again on another account. Best. Head. Ever.

I have to say I didn't like the solo feature of this week, It was overly dispersive, vanishing blocks everywhere that you couldn't spot (because they were just of the same color, in some levels there were spikes hidden in those blocks, also), and I didn't even like the aesthetics.

I didn't spot any interesting puzzle or sequence, it was all the same already seen spit.

I'm sorry If the creator feels offended by those words, but I just didn't have fun :(

Ps.

The head is SO small, ARGH, my eyes!!

And cute someway!

I'm not the biggest fan of the head this week... But moreover I felt both the solo and coop playlists were the worst yet.

To fully understand my complaint, you really would have had to have watched the last design with the devs, but I'll do my best to sum up my grievances...

What was wrong with the solo playlist:
1. As said in the original design with the devs, "If your level could easily be broken, that wasn't a good thing" despite this, there were multiple levels in the playlist where if you accidentally tossed a rock the wrong way off of a ledge, the level would then be unbeatable.

2. Laser traps on their own are cool, but when they're spammed or arranged in certain ways they can making passing an obstacle a matter of luck or freak timing. One of the levels in this playlist (Blueberry), had a sequence of lasers that were unpredictable due to the alternating switch blocks, and were even more tedious to get past if you were aiming to get the gem hidden in a block near to them.

3. The level simply titled "maze", had to be one of the worst and most unfair levels I've seen to date. As said in the original design with the devs they discussed the use of false blocks (blocks that appear to be there but actually aren't there), they had some interesting suggestion to designers using them "warning against having false blocks without indication". They urged designers to hint where false blocks were through color differentiation or through signs. The level "maze" had no indications as to where the false blocks were which resulted in very random deaths to say the least.
4.Levels had gems that were almost impossible to reach without dying, A lot of gems had more luck involved in reaching them than skill, making insane mode A++ an unrealistic goal.

What was wrong with the coop playlist:

1. Some levels could be broken easily (especially the ones with teleporters).

2. Traps were uncreative.

3. Levels were bland and layouts were boring.

4. Some gems and traps were hidden behind false blocks with no indication or warning (resulting in unfair deaths, or extremely hard to find gems).

Overall both playlists seemed to go entirely against what was discussed in the last design with the devs where they talked about what they looked for in a featured playlist. I still recognize that the designers probably put alot of effort into designing their playlists, and they're decent on their own, but I don't think they were feature material. As such, I'm a bit disappointed.

This is just my opinion though!

Edited by 8Bitten
  • Upvote 2

The solo campaign has to be the worst one yet. There are just far too many instances of random intervals to predict any consistent maneuvers. Even a few inconveniences of getting trapped occurred where I had to suicide to escape.

I'm not going to like it, but I'm going to do an A++ Insane run on WaffleLand...

By the way, I love the head. It's adorable. :-D

Edit: I just don't know how to get the gem inside the "G" at the end of End (encore 3) without dying...

Edited by RIVE
  • Upvote 1

Finished the solo adventure. Like the star head. Not planning on playing this playlist again though. It doesnt feel feature worthy. Random deaths. Random placement of hidden blocks without patterning or hints. Some of the timed levels felt like a race to barely get to the end on time.

Almost required boomerang usage to get all the gems and actually get the exit on time.

• Upvote 3

The first finale and the level Maze in Solo annoyed me.

Because Maze had no indication where to go, I was just wondering until I found the correct direction.

Also I moved the rock to the wrong spot and had to re-do the entire level.

Then the first finale the rock and the tele-porters.

You spend all the the tiny amount of time it gives you trying to get the rock to the correct area out of the 4 linked teleporters.

It was obnoxious. 

In WaffleLand Act 3 Scene 1 (forgotten what it's called). I can't find any gems so I'm forced to do the incredibly monotonous secret level. Anyone know any solutions or am I just blind?

Edited by Memor

I really like the head, but found no satisfaction in playing the levels. The coop was a boring breeze, and the solo was too random to be enjoyable. Aesthetically I do appreciate the level design and the fact that it followed a set pattern and reasoning, the syrup colored water was a nice touch. I agree with the single gem at the end of blueberry, it was not worth getting and too random. Also the first race level was way too short. I didn't get to enjoy the level at all just run fast and hope I did everything perfect with no time to look for hidden gems.

Rating for waffleland:

A sthetics: nice color design and use of shapes

B asics: level had too many lasers and random hidden blocks. Nothing really new

C ontinuity: levels had a good waffle/breakfast flow that only had a gap for "maze" that was way out of place

D ifficulty: difficult only due to randomness and too little time. Frustrating, not puzzling.

This is a good first try and could be reworked to be amazing but it feels like a first attempt not a finished product.

• Upvote 1

That BIG circle near the top left corner. 

Go into that.

That's where the secret level is. Am I still missing something? Are you talking about the right level? Act 3 Scene 1? It's called Waffles 2000.

I got around to playing the solo, I'll play co-op when I can meet up with my friend. 

I found these maps to be some of the most disappointing to be featured to date, which is disappointing because I actually quite liked the earlier levels. In general, there was some simple platforming which was let down by a few carless deathtraps and poor level choices. In particular;

1-2 Syrup: Having the toast at the end of the level with a narrow corridor can lead to a sandwiching 2 minute detour.

2-3 Maze: This was the level with the most problems. If you want to have hidden block puzzles, it's best to use colour variety in the blocks or it leads to cheep death traps you can't avoid. Added with the telport that can instant kill you because it leads you into a grinder you can't see, I found this level had many cheep ways to die. 

3-1 Waffles: Another disappointing level because gems are hidden with hidden blocks with no colour variation. I only passed this by finding the secret level. As a rule (unless it's for a encore or secret level) I like having at least 3 gems that are almost impossible to miss. That way I can get to the end with the level without backtracking, even if I get the lowest grade.

Secret Level: Too many beams for my liking. Because the maps as a whole make use of the beams, this seemed like a little overkill.

Boss 1: This level had a puzzle that required pushing a boulder though a teleport. The only trouble was there where 3 teleports opens, which allowed for random chance. Because this is a timed level, it is possible to push the boulder in the wrong direction multiple times (my play had a random 8), which can lead to a cheep way of running out of time.

Boss 2: Cats can get caught at the narrow death tunnel at the start, making insanity play troughs really hard. 

- Also, some of the puzzles seem to rely on weapons. As a rule, I think fur bottom featured levels should accommodate players that don't have all the levels. 

Sorry if this seems like a lot of constructive criticism, but I felt a little disappointed in this solo adventure. There are a lot of really good maps out there. I hope behemoth are still browsing through most of them. Looking forward to playing the co-op feature.

I don't want to sound negative, but I don't understand how the solo that got chosen is what it is.

I don't want to sound negative, but I don't understand how the solo that got chosen is what it is.

Don't worry. I think we're all wondering the same.

Just an update on my Insane A++ progress: everything is done except End (encore 3). Seriously, how do you get the gem inside the "G"?