Ace

Tribute Drawing For A Lost Pet

This took me a couple days of off-time in study hall, but I finally finished it. It's a cartoon of me and my deceased dog (passed away a little over a year ago). It was inspired in part by the beautiful poem Rainbow Bridge, which was a poem my mother printed out for me to read right before we went to put my dog in a better place. I've never really been so emotionally attached to a drawing I made. I'm still crying even after finishing it (I know, there's something wrong with me. I'm acting like a girl, but it's whatever). I hope this touches some of you, especially those in our community that have suffered the same type of loss as me. As I always say, "I cried more over the loss of my dog than I ever did the loss of a significant other (relationship-wise anyways).

post-19383-0-40847900-1378912584_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

I sketched this a couple years back in memory of my cat that had passed the year before. I was missing her a little

The creative medium can really help after losing a loved one

I appreciate your work sir.

Honestly I've been contemplating the idea of whether or not we have it right as society by saying we should stifle our emotions.  I think people are more broken by not having attachments to people or animals.  Honestly, if you have not felt hurt and pain, how can you truly believe you have ever felt love?  And without love how truly important is any breath we take.

I wouldn't worry so much about people calling you a girl for crying or having emotions.

"There is an appointed time for everything... A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance."

I had a deeply emotional experience while in the waiting room of Seattle's Childrens hospital.  I overheard a lady calling family members to let them know her nephew would be released shortly before Christmas because the doctor's didn't think he would make it through to the end of the year (in other words a week or less).  I talked to the lady for a while, found out the kid's name was George, and I have a drawing in my collection for him because of how hard it was on me, even though I wasn't related or even ever met the kid.  It still brings tears to my eyes because when I left the hospital I DID get to go home with my brother who was ok and I would get to spend, hopefully, the rest of my life being around.  I'm blessed, truly.

I think there is merit to controlling emotions in times of desperation where we are called to rise above what's going on, such as times of war or comforting others who are going through a tough time, but mourning a loss is healthy.  There is a difference between controlling your emotions so they don't control you, and attempting to remove them altogether.  We are emotional beings after all.

quote name="Backup sidekick" post="316891" timestamp="1378922091"]

I appreciate your work sir.

Honestly I've been contemplating the idea of whether or not we have it right as society by saying we should stifle our emotions.  I think people are more broken by not having attachments to people or animals.  Honestly, if you have not felt hurt and pain, how can you truly believe you have ever felt love?  And without love how truly important is any breath we take.

I wouldn't worry so much about people calling you a girl for crying or having emotions.

Couldn' have done it better myself.

...Well...

"There is an appointed time for everything... A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance."

I had a deeply emotional experience while in the waiting room of Seattle's Childrens hospital.  I overheard a lady calling family members to let them know her nephew would be released shortly before Christmas because the doctor's didn't think he would make it through to the end of the year (in other words a week or less).  I talked to the lady for a while, found out the kid's name was George, and I have a drawing in my collection for him because of how hard it was on me, even though I wasn't related or even ever met the kid.  It still brings tears to my eyes because when I left the hospital I DID get to go home with my brother who was ok and I would get to spend, hopefully, the rest of my life being around.  I'm blessed, truly.

I think there is merit to controlling emotions in times of desperation where we are called to rise above what's going on, such as times of war or comforting others who are going through a tough time, but mourning a loss is healthy.  There is a difference between controlling your emotions so they don't control you, and attempting to remove them altogether.  We are emotional beings after all.