Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Knight

Violent Games And Killing!

My dad and I went on for hours talking about the influence of violent games on kids and teens nowadays. We can't come to an agreement, he thinks it retards people's brains and harms several other things such as social life. I find it more of a personality compatibility scheme, some gamers get extremely affected to the point of killing others and likewise actions, some enjoy themselves and have a normal healthy life at the same time.

What do you think?

Violent video game =/= mental illness.  People who think there's any tangible connection are just idiots, in my opinion.  People have been killing each other for centuries, millennia even, there's no way in hell video games in the last thirty or so years caused anything in relation to violent behavior.

• Upvote 4

I disagree. Societies that feed off of violence, the Greeks the Romans the Mayans, all showed signed of loosened morality when it came to respecting others. The media format has changed in the last couple decades from actual people suffering violent acts to electronic images of people suffering violent acts, but nothing has ever proven, through history, that people who express themselves violently are able to control their violent behavior. As a matter of fact, feeding violence has always led to a more violent society.

But to blame it all on video games isn't fair. We, as society, have lowered our standards on acceptable violence.

We have the Hunger Games as one of the most popular books/movies right now. If we honestly look at society and these movies what we are saying is "Entertain us with the thought of children killing children in the hopes of survival."

To end my stance, if society is willing to accept more violence in nearly every media outlet, we can't expect to also have a high respect for human life and hatred of violence in general. You can't choose to be impassioned about violence and attempt to control it at the same time.

And yes I know that Japan has a lot more violent games and movies than the USA, but time will tell. Society doesn't fold their values over night. It's a slow decline, just like a frog in a boiling pot of water.

But... but... I play games like that and have a social life... What does that make me?

Edited by Turkey

I did a small report project on this back in high school. Being relevant to my interests, I found myself very engrossed in the topic. My research file was very extensive, to the point I ended up having to remove a lot of sources from the final paper, because of the word count that had been set

I did not find any instance in which video-games were the sole cause of a violent crime. Not a one. There was always some underlying factor that had driven the criminal to commit their crime. Generally, in the majority of cases, the criminal was under the influence. The minority of cases were more serious crimes, committed by those with previously diagnosed/undiagnosed mental issues

Surprisingly, there were many articles I found which had attempted to shift the blame onto violent video-games alone, but this was almost always down to author bias

But, like I said, it was a small report project back I did back in high school. My research methods may not have been as thorough back then. I did get a good grade for the project, though

• Upvote 2

Violent video games aren't the problem. A lot of people who have played violent games turn out fine and have a social life. The thing about the kid murdering his grandmother after playing gta 4 was the parents because they left a loaded gun in the child's reach.

Some people who played violent games and killed after would be mentally-ill people who can be easily influenced.

We have killed for thousands of years before and also violence has been shown everywhere (books, tv, movies) and I don't see those blamed.

Also, I don't think watching "16 and pregnant" for the next 4 hours is better than playing video games. Video games actually help like this http://theweek.com/article/index/241121/7-health-benefits-of-playing-video-games.

• Upvote 3

Admittedly this isn't the first time this has been mentioned.

Nor is this even the height of it.

However what's interesting is that they'd mention video games every time a male suspect is mentioned.

It's as if females don't play video games to the media or something.

I did like a few well thought out posts on here. I do, however, feel this topic may be becoming too narrow, however. I think violence goes beyond just acts of murder.

To even go to the point of murder though, we have had kids killing other kids, shootings in malls and schools and movie theaters, and even a guy who murdered a bunch of kids in an elementary school. No, I am not going to blame video games, because they aren't the SOLE problem, they are a scapegoat. I think violent video games are a reflection of society, and right now that reflection isn't great.

What I can say about video games and video game producers is that they have the opportunity to tell a story and inspire, just like movies and books. If the story they tell and the theme they inspire is violent acts against humanity, then I think they are throwing their support towards and inspiring a more violent society.

To sum up, violent games don't cause people to be violent, but they very well do inspire violent activity as a whole, in addition to other media outlets.

• Upvote 1

However what's interesting is that they'd mention video games every time a male suspect is mentioned.

The media seems to blame everything on video games. I never understood why.

Violent video games aren't the problem. A lot of people who have played violent games turn out fine and have a social life. The thing about the kid murdering his grandmother after playing gta 4 was the parents because they left a loaded gun in the child's reach.

Some people who played violent games and killed after would be mentally-ill people who can be easily influenced.

We have killed for thousands of years before and also violence has been shown everywhere (books, tv, movies) and I don't see those blamed.

Also, I don't think watching "16 and pregnant" for the next 4 hours is better than playing video games. Video games actually help like this http://theweek.com/article/index/241121/7-health-benefits-of-playing-video-games.

This made me snap when I saw parents on facebook commenting "OMG I'LL NEVER LET MY KID PLAY VIDEOGAMES AGAIN" People have really become like drones nowadays, too stupid to think of their own conclusion about things, or take the time to do some research because most news reports are pretty biased and never explain the other side to the story. 

The media seems to blame everything on video games. I never understood why.

I feel it's because since the majority of older generations can't relate, they just alienate it totally. That's why if there is ever anything "bad" about videogames it's on the news in a flash. Granted it's not healthy to sit and play videogames all day, but if the older generations are just sitting and watching TV, there isn't much difference. 

Day 10: After last week's experiment, we were able to conclude that having our test subjects play GTA IV for extended periods of time did not induce any aggression in them whatsoever. They seemed to realize that the game took place in a fictional world with outrageous situations, and even after some questioning, they showed no intent of hijacking peoples' cars or robbing banks. Many understood the consequences of such actions and had no desire to try and live them. It seemed as though our thesis about video games not causing violence was proved.

However, today's experiment yielded results that change the experiment entirely. We introduced the game Super Meat Boy to our test subjects and after only an hour of playing, the test subjects had smashed 2 controllers and beaten up another test subject who was making remarks about their sub-par gameplay. My colleague Johnson insisted we stop, but I wanted to see what would result from more hours of testing. Over the course of 2 hours, 7 controllers were thrown against the wall or the floor, 3 TV screens were smashed by thrown controllers, an Xbox 360 was slammed into the floor and shattered, and many test subjects made death threats towards other people (including my fellow colleagues). One even pulled out a knife towards someone laughing at his "terrible skills", but was immediately tackled and disarmed by two fellow researchers. Super Meat Boy sparked clear signs of violence in our test subjects, which threatens to disprove our thesis. More research will come tomorrow when we introduce them to I Wanna Be The Guy.

• Upvote 5

Lets set this straight, whoever rages over Super Meat Boy has to seek mental help... I played it millions of times and never turned into ''hulk mode.'' I'd get bored of trying and stop, but never to such extent mentioned above.

Lets set this straight, whoever rages over Super Meat Boy has to seek mental help... I played it millions of times and never turned into ''hulk mode.'' I'd get bored of trying and stop, but never to such extent mentioned above.

If you have never raged at that game, then you haven't taken the leader boards seriously. The game itself can be hard, especially trying to unlock all the characters and the bandage girl levels.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/08/28/2040235/study-suggests-violent-video-games-may-make-teens-less-violent

http://www.webpronews.com/video-games-dont-make-teens-violent-shows-study-2013-08

Well here's something new.

Study suggests that violent video games makes teens less violent.

Very simple reasoning see, we tend to take the rage out on games so we don't have enough to take it out on people.

This is why video gaming needs harder games again.

Also they ought to do some gender studies.

I've never heard of a female shooter that's played violent video games in the last months before their shooting. We need to get down further to see if this is a male trait exhibited or not.

• Upvote 1

Also, fox news made a poll asking if we thought video games made people violent as researchers say , but I guess it backfired http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/2013/09/12/do-believe-violent-video-games-are-to-blame-for-inciting-mass-murderers-as-some/

Seems people are logical and able to reason without being fed bull**** from the media. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24127999

This is the kind of stupid 'journalism' we can expect to see appearing after the GTAV launch.

The guy was just robbed and happened to be carrying GTA. By this logic, if I was walking along carrying a croissant and got mugged then the croissant would be apparently relevant or even a motive.

But croissants are awesome  :?  and pretty much, I mean it didn't even say where the guy was at the time, he was obviously in some bad area where people run rampant and the law is non existent. 

This is the kind of stupid 'journalism' we can expect to see appearing after the GTAV launch.

The guy was just robbed and happened to be carrying GTA. By this logic, if I was walking along carrying a croissant and got mugged then the croissant would be apparently relevant or even a motive.

But GTA is in high demand whereas Crossants are not.

The article itself says nothing about GTA V being the main factor, or even influencing this.

Quite frankly they could literally write a story about a man being mugged about anything.

You could replace and any references about GTA, sales or even Rockstar with some other expensive paraphernelia.

Such as the iPhone or something.

Y'know, GTA V was obviously the cause of this crime...not walking home alone at 1:20am in London...or the guy with the knife

• Upvote 1