How did you come up with your playlist name, level names, level direction, puzzles, obstacles, and color scheme? Where does your inspiration come from? Thank you for helping everyone out and posting your secrets, I feel sharing is caring and that we can all learn from one another and create better playlists because of it. Here are the questions to answer:

1. Playlist name:

I like to combine two different things to make one word. Sometimes I will combine movies, TV shows, video games, books, ect. My playlist called Zaplosion is a combination of the word "zap" and "explosion". Also I really like the Pokémon "Typhlosion" which is another big influence on my name choice, and you can see they combined names to create that one also.

Typhlosion_by_Xous54.png

2. Levels names:

I used to do "level 1-15" and so on but then I started being more creative. My friend GT fishysock gave me a cool idea, since my title was Zaplosion and it has 9 letters he said to name 1-9 each letter of my playlist name. Because before I had my first level as "Z   Z   Z   Z" so it continues and the rest level 2-14. This was a joke to suggest there was zapping happening in my first level. So in the end I can do level Z, or a continued Z which is what I'm doing. These are juicy secrets people!!!

What I'm doing, don't copy be original:)

Z   Z   Z   Z

A   A   A   A

P   P   P   P

3. Level direction:

My levels go from left to right which feel smooth and straight to the point and the further you go in the playlist the more complex it gets. I'm trying to make something like "Weloveyou" in a way but that playlist is pretty hard to duplicate. And I much rather stick to my own style and technique. This way I combine everything I know with what I can do to make something unique.

4. Puzzles:

I like what CMoNeYno23 said and I quote "Take any object in the game and use it unconventionally. Find out what interactions blocks have between each other". I like to combine things together that nobody has thought of to make cooler things so I like what he said. GT MisterrQuentin and I think very similar too when it comes to puzzles, and his new playlist "Zombie Unicorns" is a neat example of what CMoNeyno23 said. So that is my thought process on puzzles, combine things together that nobody has seen. I usually see a empty space and come up with ways to fill it, but its not always easy so I have to really break it down into sections because I get overwhelmed easily.

5. Obstacles:

This is very simple, its the filler of the level. I place objects in the space I have left in order to continue the flow of the level. Its usually something basic like a saw or spike obstacle. But I really try to make sections that are unique.

6. Color Schemes:

I really like light blocks on dark blocks to set a path. And my background usually makes my blocks pop. But sometimes I am picky and I stick with a certain look to set the mood of my playlist. I tried changing my color scheme for my first set of levels but I am just set in stone on how it looks in my mind even if someone says different. I am all about the mood of the playlist and the feel of it. That's how I made my first set of levels for my playlist Zaplosion. So if anything, color inspires me to create puzzles and obstacles because I am such a visual person. So I try to make a color scheme that inspires me to say "what should go here?"

7. Inspiration:

I play other peoples playlist all the time when I can't think of anything new. I usually get great ideas from seeing a inspiring playlist.

Questions:

1. Playlist Name:

2. Level Names:

3. Level Direction:

4. Puzzles:

5. Obstacles:

6. Color Scheme:

7. Inspiration:

Edited by Swik
  • Upvote 4

1. Playlist Name:

How I come up with a playlist name lies mainly in finding a descriptive word for the playlist I'm making, from there I think of a word to either add to the title, or to blend the first word with. In my first playlist "The Grimporeum" the name stems from the words "Grim" (pertaining to the level's dull color schemes) and "Emporium" (An area of commerce or attention). However as an alternate example, the playlist I'm currently working on is called "Suicidal Circus", "Suicidal" (pertaining to the difficulty of the levels) and "Circus" because of their bright color schemes and sporadic atmospheres.
The name of your playlist will be the deciding factor of whether people play it, so make sure it's good!

2. Level Names:

There's a lot of room to get creative here. In naming your levels you can title them according to how the level plays, it's key traps, or even according to their color. If you can't think of anything, or want a more polished naming system, you can always resort to the typical "Act 2 Scene 1" set up.

3. Level Direction:

I rarely plan out how my levels will go (which I really should get into the habit of doing), and the real flow of my levels stem out of the flow of how I design, essentially, whatever area I choose to start in dictates the rest of the level.

4. Puzzles:

I like to figure out creative ways to stump a player and momentarily halt their progress. For puzzles, duck sharks and rocks are indispensable. I just try to come up with cool ways to use them. Though honestly I'm more of an obstacle guy.

5. Obstacles:

Now this is where the fun really starts for me... If you've played either of my playlists, you might have noticed I'm a little bit on the sadistic side... So obstacles are really where I blossom. I like combining two or more traps into creative obstacles that will challenge (and most likely kill) the player if they're not careful about their movements. Grenade Cats are my trap of choice when it comes to making creative obstacles, because their interactions with fans are nothing short of delightful. Obstacles are also what will separate an easy playlist from a hard one, think carefully as to what difficulty you're looking for, and build your obstacles accordingly. (Protip: Laser traps are boring on their own, and NEVER use more than one in a puzzle unless it changes the dynamic in a creative way, ceilings and walls of laser traps are an easy way to ruin a playlist)

6. Color Scheme:

I like contrasting colors, or at least colors with clear differences in their shade. In the case of "The Grandporeum" I based the color schemes off of background colors in the game. I just like to try different combinations until something catches my eye.

7. Inspiration:
I like really difficult platforming games... I've also always liked designing challenging levels in other editors I've used. I think that Super Meat Boy is my biggest inspiration though, mainly because of how brilliantly those levels flowed.

Edited by 8Bitten
  • Upvote 4

I go on iTunes, buy music of the bands I like, and put together in the playlist, then I name the playlist "Summer Tunes" or something appropriate for when I would want to listen to those songs

• Upvote 6

I go on iTunes, buy music of the bands I like, and put together in the playlist, then I name the playlist "Summer Tunes" or something appropriate for when I would want to listen to those songs

It literally took me 10 minutes of staring at this to understand it.

Bravo, my little naked friend.

• Upvote 1

Well, I make really crappy levels with really crappy names, throw them in a really crappy playlist with a really crappy name, and the final product is a semi-decent, but really crappy experience to be had.

My method may be flawed a bit.

1. Playlist Name: I try to go with original ideas like naming my levels based on other platforming games that everyone knows, or throwing the word hatty, gems, or easy in the title.

2. Level Names: generally the numbers 1 - 15, or poop/fart jokes.

3. Level Direction: The wrong way and backwards mostly

4. Puzzles: I try to make my levels impossible to beat by surrounding the entrance with normal blocks and the exit on the other side taunting the player so they rage quit.  Either that or just the opposite, a long hall with all the gems and then the exit.

5. Obstacles: I spam lazers as much as possible.  I've found that to be the secret to success.

6. Color Scheme:  I found that color scheme is impracticle so instead I just put the blocks up with whatever colors get randomly pulled and don't bother with changing anything to meet any specific pattern.

7. Inspiration: I listen to 90's screamo and stomp around, like a dinosaur, in my room in my underwear for at least 15 minutes and then in a blind rage I start creating.

• Upvote 2

I find my playlist I am almost finished with quite delightful to all players testing it.  I will start this off.

1: Playlist name:  Tombroka.  I got the name from thinking about a shadowy adventure which I am not ready to tell yet, but yet very interesting to me.

2: Level names:  I easily got level names by ordering the names of the levels as the next part of the Tombroka story.  Example is the first level is called Dawn, yet level 7, which is far away from level 1, is located in an old ocean.  There is more to know than what you now know.

3: Level Direction:  I focus on a totally weird level direction.  The paths are made first from my level idea that comes to my mind.  When I know that, I arrange and fix the paths a bit to look like it is correct.  I finally test the path to see if I like it, then I make a new path to test, I compare both.  I do this repetitively to ensure good paths are made. 

4: The puzzles:  Puzzles I create tend to confuse a player for a bit of time in a fun and good way.  They also may require using knowledge, like seeing a pattern, then solve.  The puzzles can lead you to the exit, to goodies, or to outrageous cats who want goodies.  Either way, my puzzles are used to confuse the player and create a fun way to solve them.

5: Obstacles:  My obstacles are unique to others.  While it may be difficult or easy, they are really fun.  Along the way of these are goodies the player may mostly want to collect.  The obstacles are not always one direction, sometimes it is the players choice to pick a certain obstacle, such as in the playlist I am making called Tombroka.

6:Color Scheme:  Made from my mind and the areas the player is in during my story.  Each level is designed to have a few differences in color, well, most levels.  An example would be trees, they could be changed in colors.  Every level I make is designed to look nice.

7: Inspiration:  I was inspired by my thoughts of making a story, a story created by me.  While it is the creativity of my mind that inspires me, it is also the fact of having fun thoughts or stories. Now you understand how I create my levels.  Also I love to add fun checkpoint locations.

THIS IS FOR ARENAS.

1. Playlist Name: I just try something that sound cool or simple. I get inspirations of normal stuff. Like the Seasons of the year in my case.

2. Level Names: I just look at it and put the name compared to the level. Example: if it has cold color and ice block I would called it "Frozen Something" or some fancy words.

3. Level Direction: I try to make it as different as possible, but based on the Playlist name. I use block that trigger other block or block you have to trigger yourself.

4. Puzzles: A nice entrance with fan that take you to the level's center is nice, I guess.

5. Obstacles: Normal Blocks or something that kills you?

6. Color Scheme: Depends on the theme and the name of the playlist/level itself.

7. Inspiration: Not play for long periods, play something else or play other playlist made by the community.

1. Playlist Name: I try to go with original ideas like naming my levels based on other platforming games that everyone knows, or throwing the word hatty, gems, or easy in the title.

2. Level Names: generally the numbers 1 - 15, or poop/fart jokes.

3. Level Direction: The wrong way and backwards mostly

4. Puzzles: I try to make my levels impossible to beat by surrounding the entrance with normal blocks and the exit on the other side taunting the player so they rage quit. Either that or just the opposite, a long hall with all the gems and then the exit.

5. Obstacles: I spam lazers as much as possible. I've found that to be the secret to success.

6. Color Scheme: I found that color scheme is impracticle so instead I just put the blocks up with whatever colors get randomly pulled and don't bother with changing anything to meet any specific pattern.

7. Inspiration: I listen to 90's screamo and stomp around, like a dinosaur, in my room in my underwear for at least 15 minutes and then in a blind rage I start creating.

Hahaha that was pretty funny.

1. Playlist name: 2. Level names: Since i'm really bad naming things i usually just name it something really random.

3. Level Direction: I used to just make a puzzle or obstacle and then build another one off of that. but lately i have been looking ahead more for a cleaner path.

4. Puzzles: I just look at all the blocks in the editor in till i come up with something or the idea will just come to me.

5. Obstacles: I do the Same thing as "Puzzles" but i am a big fan of spikes

6. Color Scheme: Whatever looks nice

7. Inspiration: Ever since i play halo 3 i have been a fan of making my own levels, and i have also always liked platformers.

Edited by MisterrQuentin