Dropped Your Pocket

Hearthstone

Welcome to my brand new thread of totally epic proportions.  As a few of you may know, recently, Blizzard (the creators of Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.) decided to drop their WoW trading card game in favor of a new, entirely digital, trading card game.  Well, it's not TECHNICALLY a trading car game, since, as far as I know, you can't actually trade cards with people, but everything is very much the same.  You buy packs, play against other peoples, get new cards, and just have a ton of fun.

The way the game is set up, you choose from one of nine main classes, and each class has a specific "Hero Ability" and also some class-exclusive cards.  Then you just go at it with another opponent, trying to outwit and outplay your opponent.  Your heroes have a certain amount of HP, and when yours or your opponents drops to zero, the other layer wins.  There's more to it, but if you want, you can look up a tutorial video that can explain more in-depth than I am willing to type out, since that'd take damn near forever.

Currently, Hearthstone is in closed Beta, and the only way to get access is to be one of the lucky people to receive a Beta key by having a Battle.net account with Blizzard.

So, onto the purpose of this thread: Anyone else here play it?  Heard of it?  Want to play it but haven't gotten into it yet?  Do tell, as this game will only get better and better.  I do plan on making a YouTube video series out of it as well, since it is (in my opinion after watching Northernlion play it) quite exciting to watch.  So if you follow me, then look forward to me yelling at people for being overpowered and cheap the second I start losing.

I made myself a promise after the great Yu Gi Oh downfall of 2003 that I would never get sucked into a CCG again, electronic or physical.

Stuff is like crack to me, pretty sure I'd do unspeakable things for rare cards, I should steer clear.  However, sounds like fun for sure.

Is it anything like Magic: The Gathering?

It's a trading card game, so that's a pretty good comparison there.  To be honest, I never played Magic, but I do believe they are similar in some aspects.

Do I need to buy anything?

Need?  No.  But it's pretty bland without it, since there's a mode called Arena mode where pretty much all of the hardcore players play, and if you don't have enough in-game currency (you almost never will), then you have to pay two bucks to get into the Arena.  Without going too into detail, the plus side is if you win enough games in Arena mode, then you will earn enough in-game currency back to earn a "free" play in Arena again.

You can also buy packs of cards, which just like with physical trading card games, the packs are damned expensive.  The best value is the fifty bucks for forty packs. with each pack having five cards, with at least one guaranteed rare card in each pack.  You can also earn packs through other methods such as daily quests and whatnot.

Is it anything like Magic: The Gathering?

It's a trading card game, so that's a pretty good comparison there.  To be honest, I never played Magic, but I do believe they are similar in some aspects.

>>>>>>>>>Do I need to buy anything?

Need?  No.  But it's pretty bland without it, since there's a mode called Arena mode where pretty much all of the hardcore players play, and if you don't have enough in-game currency (you almost never will), then you have to pay two bucks to get into the Arena.  Without going too into detail, the plus side is if you win enough games in Arena mode, then you will earn enough in-game currency back to earn a "free" play in Arena again.

You can also buy packs of cards, which just like with physical trading card games, the packs are damned expensive.  The best value is the fifty bucks for forty packs. with each pack having five cards, with at least one guaranteed rare card in each pack.  You can also earn packs through other methods such as daily quests and whatnot.

nope.

nopenopenopenopenope. I'm sorry but I don't do microtransactions--I'm not into that kind of stuff

neeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

trading card games are for nerds

like you

Edited by SpoonArtist
  • Upvote 1

Since I don't feel like quoting and editing the quote and blah blah blah, Spoon, would you buy a pack of cards for a trading card game and pay an entry fee for a tournament for said trading card game?  Because that's what it is, in a nutshell.  IF you wouldn't do that, then it's understandable that you wouldn't do this either.  If you would buy a pack of cards but wouldn't buy a digital pack of cards, then I think you're crazy.

This is all Beta, still, remember that.  The prices on things may vary in the final version of the game, and there may be better ways to earn in-game currency to avoid using real money as much.  Which I really hope for, since it can get quite expensive buying so many cards and entering the Arena so often.

Since I don't feel like quoting and editing the quote and blah blah blah, Spoon, would you buy a pack of cards for a trading card game and pay an entry fee for a tournament for said trading card game?  Because that's what it is, in a nutshell.  IF you wouldn't do that, then it's understandable that you wouldn't do this either.  If you would buy a pack of cards but wouldn't buy a digital pack of cards, then I think you're crazy.

This is all Beta, still, remember that.  The prices on things may vary in the final version of the game, and there may be better ways to earn in-game currency to avoid using real money as much.  Which I really hope for, since it can get quite expensive buying so many cards and entering the Arena so often.

I don't buy cards. Digital cards are not the same though, you can not trade or re-sell them directly, you can not keep them until they become rare, they become worthless the moment the game becomes unpopular. Now I'm not saying I don't buy that kind of stuff (map packs are a good example) but I would NEVER pay money to play ONE round in a game. What if I like it a lot? If it is as good as you make it sound then I will spend hundreds of dollars, a constant cycle of paying money. The more you pay, the better you are, no work or experience needed. I dislike microtransaction based on these reasons. I play to earn, not pay to earn.

I don't buy cards. Digital cards are not the same though, you can not trade or re-sell them directly, you can not keep them until they become rare, they become worthless the moment the game becomes unpopular. Now I'm not saying I don't buy that kind of stuff (map packs are a good example) but I would NEVER pay money to play ONE round in a game. What if I like it a lot? If it is as good as you make it sound then I will spend hundreds of dollars, a constant cycle of paying money. The more you pay, the better you are, no work or experience needed. I dislike microtransaction based on these reasons. I play to earn, not pay to earn.

Just for the record, you're paying two dollars to play three - eleven games, not one.  Depending how good you are depends how many games you play.  If you lose the first three (like me), then you're done.  If you win nine games, then you're done as well.  But you could also lose two and win nine, meaning two dollars can get you a tournament consisting of eleven heated matches with opponents of great skill, which is quite exhilarating, if I must say so.  And as I said, you can earn in-game currency to pay for both packs and Arena entries, you'll just have to play a lot of non-Arena games.  Which are much less stressful, as well.  You can also use your custom decks in regular play, rather than drafting like in Arena.

I am not a fan of micro-transactions either, and I nor do I endorse them.  If you play enough, you can get the gold to earn a few entries, but if my knowledge is correct, you'd need to win thirty games for one Arena play, since you get ten gold for winning three regular games.  I don't know if that amount ever increases or not, though.  In this case, paying just quickens the process so you don't have to play for two days to get one Arena play out of it.  I do wish that Blizzard would make it easier to earn in-game currency, as stated before, since not many people can afford to spend that kind of money all of the time.

If you want more information on the game, feel free to check out my first Hearthstone video

.  The first thirteen or so minutes is me drafting a deck for Arena and explaining the game in pretty good detail to help inform people about the game, since it's a bit difficult to explain it all in text.

Well I watched the video, and I must admit that looks pretty good for a Beta.

I think Blizzard's definition of a "Beta" is a lot different from other people's definitions.  There's not much wrong with the game except some classes still need a few cards buffed/nerfed and I ran into a weird glitch where one slot in my hand was missing a card, and two cards were stacked on each other, so I actually couldn't play the card I wanted.  That little glitch actually cost me the game I was playing, so that sucked, but it's only happened once to me so far.

I think Blizzard's definition of a "Beta" is a lot different from other people's definitions.  There's not much wrong with the game except some classes still need a few cards buffed/nerfed and I ran into a weird glitch where one slot in my hand was missing a card, and two cards were stacked on each other, so I actually couldn't play the card I wanted.  That little glitch actually cost me the game I was playing, so that sucked, but it's only happened once to me so far.

I also noticed that most Betas don't actually charge you for anything. unless this Beta actually saves your data then it doesn't make sense to have an arena fee.  

I also noticed that most Betas don't actually charge you for anything. unless this Beta actually saves your data then it doesn't make sense to have an arena fee.  

Assuming it's the same as when they did the Beta wipe, they'll just give you your money back in the form of in-game currency or something like that.  They have the Arena fees and other things to test out the system for how it'll work in the final product.

This pretty much died, but I think we need to promote this game more on the forums. Hearthstone is one of the easiest card games to get into, and is really addicting. It's by far my favorite time waster of a game if you have 10 minutes or so to kill.

Anyways, the main point of me posting was to let everyone know that Blizzard is planning another expansion. Unlike solo adventures Naxxramas this one will just be a card expansion, with over 100 new cards being added to the game.

• Upvote 2

Played this game all the time in the beta, even coughed up the money to get that beta gold card.

For some reason after I got the gold card I just stopped playing... no idea why... maybe I was just disappointed in myself for giving into microtransactions.

Thinking of getting back into this game. I'm not gonna have much else to play in class at college.

Edited by GoldenGhost

Game explain posted an entire article here for those interested in more details, but either way GET HYPED!
GVG610.jpg

New expansion is all about Goblins vs Gnomes, and for anyone who knows a bit of WoW lore this means intense mech/robot fights. And with this comes all kind of new mech cards. Most of these new cards are focused on a new type, called mech cards. They seem to have huge synergy with eachother and hvae a lot of buffing capibilities. There's also plenty of cards added that completely focus on countering a certain type of deck your opponent might be using. 120 new cards is going to take some time to get use to, but damn I can't wait for this expansion.