Sign in to follow this  
vpustote

Hoaxus Poaxus

So... as we all know now, the boss was a hoax. As much as I would love to take the credit for it, I can not.  

The most amazing hoax of the year goes to... Backup Sidekick!! Thank you, Backup, for letting Undead Ninya and myself be your inside guys.  It was his idea that sparked this whole thing. And thanks to SWag Bbq/Hazard for becoming our outsider to help push the rumor further. What started out as fun in the forums turned into a really big positive.  Everyone started looking for insane co op partners and enjoying the game again.  Some of you are now higher in achievements or A++ ratings. Congrats to you! 

The thread blew up faster than I could possibly imagine. In ONLY 2 days we blew up any other hoax imaginable, and people were so unsure what to think that confirmation had to be asked from DanP himself.  I had big plans for Honey Hug and a nice ending that everyone would have loved, but I just couldn't keep up.

Thanks to everyone who joined in and made it what it was.  

Chris, nice with pointing out my background in design. I didn't go to school for video editing, but I guess I should add it to my resume... and maybe actually update it.   

Mr. Hatty, I was impressed when you found the cat guard faces. I purposely used video instead of images to make it less likely to be discovered.  Nice!  

Ultanoka, your Chocozuma's Revenge (as Derekis put it) was hilarious! hahaha

To everyone else, I was happy to see people doubt and question or have fun.  We were all saddened when the thread took a bad turn.  That's not what we intended at all.  If anything, I was motivated to see more people play the game again and actually work on their insane level.  We did connect with a few of you and built the bridge from forum friends to xbox live friends.  So for the few of you that added us, thank you! We hope to see you online.  

And also, sometimes people do things for the lulz. I did not join this hoax for the laughs... I did it because both the forums and Battleblock was starting to feel dead to me.  I had achieved everything I ever wanted in the game, but I didn't want to be known as the top leaderboarder... I wanted to become a legend.  

To show no hard feelings... here is a video I put together to show how it was done.

Edited by vpustote
  • Upvote 7

When Ultonoka posted this:

236787.jpg

I started to get a little worried, and confused as to how he knew.

This was seriously a lot more fun than I could have ever imagined!   Hopefully what everyone got out of this was to have fun exploring and meet new friends and play the game for more than just the star heads.

Vpustote did a lot of hard work on this thread, and I was glad he was a part of this because he was able to fully implement some ideas I had but could never see come true.

Hopefully anyone who felt attacked can now see that it was not serious or personal.

Maybe eventually we will all learn to take more time trying to find that secret boss in Chapter 8!

Edited by Backup sidekick

Ah, but you didn't fool me, you see! Ha! Haha! Haha. Hahahaha....ha...

I'm sure this was a slap in the face for some (Superbrady I'm looking at you).

Well played though, I'm impressed with the work you put into this, and it's nice to know you never forgot about us, though I guess a true legend wouldn't dare do such a thing.

At least you've sort of achieved what you set out to do, after all, you're a legends in my books.

also that honeyhug is frickin scary

• Upvote 4

I got the Honey Hug head.... MWAWRS!  No, I kid, I kid... haha

And in honor of Memor's comment, "also that honeyhug is frickin scary"... I made a scary Honey Hug profile pic.  

• Upvote 1

I got the Honey Hug head.... MWAWRS!  No, I kid, I kid... haha

And in honor of Memor's comment, "also that honeyhug is frickin scary"... I made a scary Honey Hug profile pic.  

Eurgh, love you too.  :oops:

• Upvote 1

I loved the entirety of the hoax, thanks for involving me in it Vpustote, Ninya, and Backup, my coop partner.  No hard feeling to anyone, but seriously, what starhead did you get lanog :) xD

• Upvote 3

I knew it was fake all along. I will admit, towards the end I started to believe a little, but I knew it was fake just from the lazy designed walk cycle and boss appearance. Also, making up a hoax is wrong; and I'm pretty disappointed in you. There is enough things in Battle Block Theater to keep people playing, you don't have to put everyone on a wild goose chase. Now because of this, people won't believe you when you discover something, which I hope your aware of. Oh well, you are your own person so I will not try to correct you.

So basically he had a lighthearted reveal saying that it was just a joke, and you just come up and start being an as*hole after saying you were leaving because of 1 post.  Saying that you are not trying to correct him after just correcting him completely contradicts yourself.  People also never played the coop campaigns, and that was a great way to get people to play it.  It was always lighthearted and mostly a friendly debate and all people with half a brain cell knew that it was fake but they wanted to keep it alive.  Good day sir.

Gman, very good point.  But we would like to say that we did plan to reveal all along.  

As for the lazy walk-cycle... it wasn't lazy, it was a lot of work.  

• I had to design a quick looking cat that wasn't easily detectable
  • Animate part of him (his arms move and he made faces)
  • Then move him across the screen frame by frame

There was roughly 4 seconds of him appearing which is 120 frames with the screen moving up and down too.

It was actually fun to see an idea become real.  And I will admit, I would have loved to see Cat Guard or Honey Hug in a level.  

people won't believe you ...

No one believed me before this.

To be honest, planning started the day we started the thread, so in two days it went from base form idea to full blown video, photos, coverup stories, interaction with other users.  I'm proud of what happened because it was fun and got people talking.

That's all it was ever intended to be, honestly it was intended to be much less than what it became.  4,200 views in 2 days, and nearly 600 views AFTER the thread was shut down?  That's pretty cool to be a part of in my opinion!

Edited by Backup sidekick
  • Upvote 2

I still want to know what star head Lanog got when he defeated the boss.

You'll never know. I found a ton of websites with info on how to defeat the boss. Just Google BattleBlock Theater secret boss chapter 8. You should find it.

Such a shame that you had it locked, probably the most enjoyable thread on this forum..

AND CHOCKOZUMO OR WHATEVER IS REAL!

eqs0lg.jpg

#CHOCKOZUMOLIVESON

• Upvote 4

Well, props for the effort I guess

"...props for the effort, I guess" he says.  

HAHA!  You probably put more effort into disproving me, as I did to make the video.  

Wanna hear something funny?  My original comment to you in your Coke Haxor thread was this:

"Looks like a 10 year old found photoshop." 

But I edited it because I didn't want to be rude... even though I knew you were lying right then and there.

Gman, very good point.  But we would like to say that we did plan to reveal all along.  

There was roughly 4 seconds of him appearing which is 120 frames with the screen moving up and down too.

It was actually fun to see an idea become real.  And I will admit, I would have loved to see Cat Guard or Honey Hug in a level.  

I will give you props for saying it was fake. That does take courage. I also figured you had to plan this out because of how cleverly you and you friends planned this out, making the hoax into a question, putting up fake evidence, etc.. was all clever and smart It would've been perfect if people didn't try to lie and say they found it (which is impossible to keep from happening) and if you made up a fake way of how to get to it and that it was so obscured that no one will attempt it, and if they do it, no one will believe them. As for the walk cycle, I do believe you put allot of time in it, and it looked legit. The only problem is that The Behemoth took months to make Battle Block Theater, and even more time adding stuff in to make it even more perfect. If the boss did exist, they would of put a more complicated walk cycle that would take more than weeks to make. You did do a good job though, its just to make it seem The Behemoth did make it you would to have to make it look like it walks and all that complicated stuff; which would be a waste of effort and time if your doing it just for a hoax. Good job over all, but making a hoax to trick people is still a pretty jerk-ish thing to do, whether effort was put into or not.

I will give you props for saying it was fake. That does take courage. I also figured you had to plan this out because of how cleverly you and you friends planned this out, making the hoax into a question, putting up fake evidence, etc.. was all clever and smart It would've been perfect if people didn't try to lie and say they found it (which is impossible to keep from happening) and if you made up a fake way of how to get to it and that it was so obscured that no one will attempt it, and if they do it, no one will believe them. As for the walk cycle, I do believe you put allot of time in it, and it looked legit. The only problem is that The Behemoth took months to make Battle Block Theater, and even more time adding stuff in to make it even more perfect. If the boss did exist, they would of put a more complicated walk cycle that would take more than weeks to make. You did do a good job though, its just to make it seem The Behemoth did make it you would to have to make it look like it walks and all that complicated stuff; which would be a waste of effort and time if your doing it just for a hoax. Good job over all, but making a hoax to trick people is still a pretty jerk-ish thing to do, whether effort was put into or not.

Thanks, Gman.  I don't think I could have spent that long creating an actual animated character.  But you are absolute right, there would have been more working parts. I just didn't have the time or skill to go that in depth.  

But as far as a plan... nope, no plan.  Backup Sidekick told me his great idea and then I just repeated it in a thread almost immediately and it went from there. I remember making the video and searching for Cat Guard images and thinking...

"dang it, why did I say it was a stupid cat guard."  

• Upvote 1

Well, props for the effort I guess

"...props for the effort, I guess" he says.  

HAHA!  You probably put more effort into disproving me, as I did to make the video.  

Wanna hear something funny?  My original comment to you in your Coke Haxor thread was this:

"Looks like a 10 year old found photoshop." 

But I edited it because I didn't want to be rude... even though I knew you were lying right then and there.

Lets not start the bickering on this thread... Things were said and we should probably just let the demons die. I enjoyed the chaos as much as the next guy, but I would also like nice discussions for a change. Its fair to say that both the 'hoaxers' and the 'dis-provers' both put in a lot of effort and through the effort, multiple insane co-op A++ partnerships were formed and lots of guests visiting the forums. Lets at least pretend to be friends.

• Upvote 6

^_~ 19 pages of pms were put into this thread, and it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable things i've been apart of on these forums.

Good job btw V, sorry I couldn't be there for the reveal or pms leading to it, but I really think you guys did a good job with it. Also, did the website ever get finished? Why did you guys reveal differently than what was planned? What is this talk of Dan? And why isn't my sig done yet? ;)answer pls

• Upvote 1

I love how I disproved it was real about page 13-14 I think, with the whole background not matching ch8 and people completely ignored me... anyway, it was pretty fun. Just to let you know, I wasnt trying to disprove it, I just noticed it while trying to see what level it could possibly be in, looking for the one that matched the color of the background. Also, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

• Upvote 1