Some years ago, I was a user somewhat noted for discussing guns on these forums at just about every given opportunity. Well, most of the threads I've ever made to this day are buried somewhere in the deep past of TBCF, so I figure it's time to dig out some old discussion for a new generation.

---

Today, I decided, is a day to talk about guns. I realize many of the members here aren't old enough to purchase a firearm on their own, or perhaps live in a location where they're prohibited, but that doesn't mean you can't discuss them anyways. If you like guns, this is probably going to be the thread for you. It doesn't matter if it's an airgun or a firearm; they're all equals here. My only beef is that it can't be a toy, so please do not include airsoft or Nerf stuff (Nerf is the bomb, though. I might make a thread for that too).

As you have probably figured by the title of the thread and the preface, I love guns. However, this thread is not my biography. I'll start by posting a recent aquisition of mine.

This is a Colt Trooper Mk. III with a six inch barrel, chambered in .357 Magnum. It is one hell of a pretty gun. This example was manufactured in 1977, and I'm certain it'll be around for a long time coming.

post-1712-0-11301500-1388874682_thumb.jpg

So, yeah, tell us if you like guns, have guns, want to have guns, like to shoot, have shot, or anything like that.

I love the Sharpie!

And I know nothing about guns, but I have shot some before with my father-in-law and that was fun... All my shots pull down and to the left.

Milk, your Texas is showing

I can't help it, Zane. It's just one of those things.

I love the Sharpie!

And I know nothing about guns, but I have shot some before with my father-in-law and that was fun... All my shots pull down and to the left.

You're probably anticipating muzzle flash or recoil and flinching before you shoot. I used to do that a lot when I was a new shooter.  I fixed it by working on follow through and shooting a lot of small bore stuff and airguns. Starting with bigger guns isn't the greatest thing, as it can form some unhelpful habits.

I've wanted a sidearm for a long while now.  I don't live in a bad area, but it's always nice to know you'll be safe in case something does happen.  If I could, I would own some type of revolver, but those aren't exactly practical for concealed carry.  As it stands, until I get a place of my own, I won't have a gun.  Mom doesn't like them, and I don't trust the people in my house to not grab it with bad intentions while I'm asleep or something.  Mainly one person, who suffers from pretty bad PTSD, and wouldn't want near any firearms.

But yeah, one day I hope to own a gun. 

I've wanted a sidearm for a long while now.  I don't live in a bad area, but it's always nice to know you'll be safe in case something does happen.  If I could, I would own some type of revolver, but those aren't exactly practical for concealed carry.  As it stands, until I get a place of my own, I won't have a gun.  Mom doesn't like them, and I don't trust the people in my house to not grab it with bad intentions while I'm asleep or something.  Mainly one person, who suffers from pretty bad PTSD, and wouldn't want near any firearms.

But yeah, one day I hope to own a gun. 

Hey, glad to hear it. I dunno how much you've read into concealed carry, but revolvers aren't a terrible pocket carry option, given you either bob the hammer or get a shrouded hammer. A double-action revolver with a swing-out cylinder is probably the simplest firearm to operate I can think of, aside of a break-action gun. Not much can go wrong, unless you neglect the thing for years on end.

Glad to hear you're fine with guns. I can understand your situation, and it sounds like the best thing to do really would be to wait.

I don't have a gun, but I'm allowed to use my dad's Remington and A-R . He also has a few pistols, but I don't know the names. I don't really care for guns, not that I'm against them, its just I don't find shooting targets interesting. I probably will only use them for self-defense when I get older. Plus ammo prices are ridiculously high, so if I was interested I probably will go broke. I can go into stupid political stuff about the ammo, but that's unrelated. Also, Texas is my favorite state.

I don't have a gun, but I'm allowed to use my dad's Remington and A-R . He also has a few pistols, but I don't know the names. I don't really care for guns, not that I'm against them, its just I don't find shooting targets interesting. I probably will only use them for self-defense when I get older. Plus ammo prices are ridiculously high, so if I was interested I probably will go broke. I can go into stupid political stuff about the ammo, but that's unrelated.

Honestly, I don't find shooting paper targets terribly interesting. Some people shoot for groups and try to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of their firearm, which is fine enough for them. I do own some target type guns, but I really use them for reactive shooting or firing upon reactive targets, like steel plates. The ring of steel when you slap it with a 147 grain projectile from a handgun is a fantastic sound. You're pretty right about ammo being expensive as can be nowadays. I plan to start reloading my major handgun chamberings before too long to cut expenses in the long run, and also to have more control over what ammo I feed my gun.

To keep the post from being too long, I appreciate that you think self-defense is a valid purpose for firearm ownership. Just remember to practice, maintain your weapon, and be proficient, so if you actually do need your gun, you can operate it in a defensive scenario.

I'm actually about to go clean my Zastava PAP. I guess I'll take pictures and edit them in after I finish.

• Upvote 1

I have a Sig Sauer 9mil short at my house that my wife got from her dad. We keep it in the house for protection. But whenever I would go shooting it was out in the back country and we would just shoot random trash and maybe a poster of Justin Bieber or something.

I have a Sig Sauer 9mil short at my house that my wife got from her dad. We keep it in the house for protection. But whenever I would go shooting it was out in the back country and we would just shoot random trash and maybe a poster of Justin Bieber or something.

Sig makes some nice guns that are definitely worth the money they cost. I'd like to see which .380 Sig you have sometime, if it's not too much of a trouble.

I figured I'd make a separate post instead of an edit to show some of you the wonders of cleaning a rifle (more accurately, just some pictures).

This is my Zastava PAP, chambered in 7.62x39. Yes, it's an AK pattern rifle. More specifically, it's based off of the Russian AKM, and most closely related to the Serbian M70. This version uses single stack magazines, but you can also get some that accept standard double stack AK magazines. I didn't buy this because my state restricts magazine capacity like others, but simply for the fact it was within my budget, and I can keep it if I decide to move to a state (or country) with more restrictive policies.

Anyways!

Here's the rifle disassembled.

post-1712-0-82959600-1388953758_thumb.jpg

You can see the major components at the right. From top to bottom, they are the bolt carrier (with gas piston), the bolt, the recoil spring, the dust cover, and the gas tube. To the left, as you can see, is the rest of the rifle. AK platform guns are very simple, which is also why I bought this rifle. It's incredibly easy to clean and maintain, and due to the nature of the parts and their large acceptable tolerance range, it functions time after time without a single hiccup. I've probably fired this rifle seven hundred times with no malfunctions, using the cheapest ammo I could find. Typically Herter's or something similar.

post-1712-0-40329300-1388953767_thumb.jpg

I took a look down the bore, and it wasn't too bad. I decided to clean it out anyways, as well as get all of the carbon deposits off of the head of the piston using a copper-bristled bore brush, followed some Hoppes No. 9 bore solvent and cotton patches.

post-1712-0-44089200-1388953773_thumb.jpg

It worked well, like it always seems to. I then cleaned out the gas tube, which gets the brunt of burned gunpowder, and therefore the most carbon deposits. I used a 20 gauge copper wire brush and put a Hoppes-soaked cotton patch on top of it and scrubbed away.

post-1712-0-76856600-1388953784_thumb.jpg

It worked great. This is about as nice as I could get it. The patches started coming out clean, but there was a bit of smeared stuff in there. I cleaned it out with some more cotton patches to prevent the gun from gumming up and the rest of the solvent evaporated off.

post-1712-0-06772700-1388953751_thumb.jpg

I put the rifle back together, wiped it down with a silcone gun cloth to put a nice protective layer on it and remove my fingerprints. Another job well-done.

Cleaning guns is sort of a zen-like experience.

Hi Da Milk Man. I don't have much experience with guns, but I really like weapons from games, especially the lancer from Gears of War. How do you feel about it?

-Bloob

Hi Da Milk Man. I don't have much experience with guns, but I really like weapons from games, especially the lancer from Gears of War. How do you feel about it?

-Bloob

Wow why you gotta do this Bloob I thought we were friends wow the lancer is so stupid I hate it so much uuuuugggghhhhh

I really don't know what to think of the lancer anymore. I've seen people try to replicate it with electric chainsaw bayonets in the past. It's pretty silly. Stupidly impractical, heavy, and ineffective, but I guess it could be a fun toy that makes tripping with a rifle just a little more dangerous.

-Bloob

Wow why you gotta do this Bloob I thought we were friends wow the lancer is so stupid I hate it so much uuuuugggghhhhh

I really don't know what to think of the lancer anymore. I've seen people try to replicate it with electric chainsaw bayonets in the past. It's pretty silly. Stupidly impractical, heavy, and ineffective, but I guess it could be a fun toy that makes tripping with a rifle just a little more dangerous.

Omg you would say its impractical. Look how realistic and legendary it is!

gears_of_war_lancer1.jpg

Lol. in all seriousness I hate when people try to recreate it. I was actually going to but a picture of someone who actually tried to recreate it but I found this and thought this was better. True, it is a fun and cool weapon in the game, but if it was in real life, it would be just heavy and pretty useless.  I don't really hate the weapon, just please leave the duct tape alone and keep the two things separate.

Speaking of ridiculousness, my uncle bought a CZ P-07 earlier this year. It's a compact handgun chambered in 9x19 Parabellum. It's a pretty nice handgun, essentially a CZ P-01 with a polymer frame and extended beavertail. Like the rest of the CZ 75 family, it has really fine ergonomics. This is a CZ P-07 (specifically my uncle's) so you can see what it looks like.

post-1712-0-65721300-1389050418_thumb.jpg

Nothing unnecessary on there. Except, in the case when my uncle purchased the pistol, was a bayonet. A bayonet for a pistol.

9426172-new-cz-75-p-07-w-bayonet-450.jpg

This is not my uncle's gun. However, this is the same model of handgun. Apparently, they come with this ridiculous bayonet for a pistol. Aside of maybe breaking glass, this has absolutely no purpose or advantage over a regular knife. You also lose your ability to holster your pistol. Absolutely stupid. Funny, but stupid.

• Upvote 1

Guess I'll post my favorites, in no particular order.

luger-imperial1.jpg

I like the look of the luger and how it works. It has a history of being used by nazis and yakuzas and all kinds of unlikeable people, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't like one.

8707_FAMAS.jpg

I like the noise this one does when it bursts. Probably one of the only guns I've heard in real life.

benelli_m4.jpg

If I had to get one gun and only one, disregarding cost and legislation, I'd settle for a benelli M4. I like the design of this gun a lot. Apparently it's meant to be fired from the hip, but you can actually fold that little stock and hold it in over ten other unpractical ways.

benelli_m4.jpg

If I had to get one gun and only one, disregarding cost and legislation, I'd settle for a benelli M4. I like the design of this gun a lot. Apparently it's meant to be fired from the hip, but you can actually fold that little stock and hold it in over ten other unpractical ways.

I really, really like the Benelli M4. Left 4 Dead probably has my favorite video game-projected version. I definitely wouldn't mind having one, given I have no semi-automatic shotguns, but that's a niche I probably won't fill for years coming. I've had the pleasure of handling several Benelli shotguns, including the M2 Tactical and the Super Vinci. My uncle (same uncle) has that Super Vinci. It fired pretty softly, thanks to its wacky interia semi-auto system.

M2 Tactical here.

m2-tactical-shotgun-pistol-12-gauge.png?

Super Vinci here.

super-vinci-shotgun.png?itok=q_T5U1pb

Kind of ugly, the Super Vinci is, but it handled really well. I can't argue with the performance,

EDIT: I noticed Miss Pauling uses a Colt Trooper Mk. III just like mine in the Meet the Director comic.

post-1712-0-16241300-1389080834_thumb.png

benelli_m4.jpg

I really, really like the Benelli M4. Left 4 Dead probably has my favorite video game-projected version. I definitely wouldn't mind having one, given I have no semi-automatic shotguns, but that's a niche I probably won't fill for years coming. I've had the pleasure of handling several Benelli shotguns, including the M2 Tactical and the Super Vinci. My uncle (same uncle) has that Super Vinci. It fired pretty softly, thanks to its wacky interia semi-auto system.

M2 Tactical here.

m2-tactical-shotgun-pistol-12-gauge.png?

Super Vinci here.

super-vinci-shotgun.png?itok=q_T5U1pb

Kind of ugly, the Super Vinci is, but it handled really well. I can't argue with the performance,

EDIT: I noticed Miss Pauling uses a Colt Trooper Mk. III just like mine in the Meet the Director comic.

Another factor that blew my goddamn mind is the weight of those things.

Super vinci:  7.0 lbs which is about 3.15 kilogrammes

Benelli M4: 3.82 kg (8.42 lb)

Benelli M2 tactical:  6.7 lbs which is about 3 kilogrammes.

This is faily impressive, considering how long these things are. Maybe it's just me who always expects stuff to be heavier than it is, but those guns sound really, really light, which is always a pro. Are they light in shotgun standards? Might as well ask our resident weapons dude himself.

Super vinci:  7.0 lbs which is about 3.15 kilogrammes

Benelli M4: 3.82 kg (8.42 lb)

Benelli M2 tactical:  6.7 lbs which is about 3 kilogrammes.

This is faily impressive, considering how long these things are. Maybe it's just me who always expects stuff to be heavier than it is, but those guns sound really, really light, which is always a pro. Are they light in shotgun standards? Might as well ask our resident weapons dude himself.

Yes, Benelli shotguns are pretty light compared to most contemporary shotguns in a similar class, or cast in a similar role. My uncle's Super Vinci had a 28" barrel, and my Stoeger Uplander - a double-barreled shotgun with two 28" (71.1cm) barrels - weighed 7.5 lbs (3.4kg), despite having many, many fewer moving parts. A semi-automatic shotgun has more internal parts than a double-barrel by a longshot, so I find it interesting how light they can make it. My double barrel is even shorter than the Super Vinci (44"/118cm vs. 50.5"/128.3cm). It's pretty incredible. Maybe I'll get a side-by-side shot someday of the two.

Anyways, Benelli has pretty well mastered their materials. The polymers they use in these shotguns is tons lighter than wood on many other popular shotguns. They also use a fine balance of steel and aluminum, putting the heavy steel where the forces are the greatest and it is needed the most. Benelli semi-autos are pretty well considered the top of the line for commercial guns. If you order something from their custom shop, it's a totally different matter (and that much more expensive) to get a gun custom-tailored to you.

38800-DEFAULT-L.jpg

For yet another comparison, here's the Mossberg 590A1. The barrel is 20" (50.8cm) long, compared to the 28" (71.1cm) of the other guns we've been talking about, and it weighs 7.25lbs (3.3kg) unloaded. The receiver is made entirely out of aluminum, and it STILL weighs more than the Super Vinci, and the 590A1 is 41" (104.1cm) in terms of overall length - an entire 9.5" (24.1cm) shorter than the Super Vinci. Of course, the Vinci is made to be swingable for hunting fast and low-flying waterfowl.

New content bump, just to prove we're also airgun friendly.

post-1712-0-49562700-1389391026_thumb.jpg

This is my IZH-61 Baikal. It fires .177 caliber (4.5mm for you, Chris and the rest of the world) lead airgun pellets. It was made in Russia by the Izhmash factory, the same folks who produce Saiga shotguns and rifles off of the AK platform, and modern manufacture Makarov handguns alongside the PP-19 Bizon submachine gun, among others. They produce the majority of Russia's small arms, and have been in existence since 1807.

Anyways, this is a little five-shot pellet rifle, designed for 10 meter air rifle competition. It isn't quite up to the standard of other custom air rifles, but it certainly is an excellent entry piece. It fires light pellets at a pretty low velocity, and is totally unsuitable for any pest control or hunting. However, I have found it excellent for dispatching cans and bottles of various shapes and sizes.

post-1712-0-91634400-1389391456_thumb.jpg

This is my Benjamin HB22 air pistol I got when I was ten. Probably responsible for the actual deepening of my love for shooting beyond sticks and finger guns. It fires a .22 caliber (5.5mm) lead pellet at around 425fps (nearly 130m/s), and is suitable for pest control and hunting of small game at short ranges, within 15 meters or so. I mostly use it to plink cans and shoot without having to worry too much about spending money.

I probably like shooting airguns as much as I like shooting firearms. However, they're not exactly a substitute - at least the ones I have. You can get some large-bore airguns that deliver about the kinetic energy of a medium-bore handgun, suitable for dispatching some small to medium game. However, they're about as cost-effective per shot as a firearm. That doesn't make for much cheap shooting.

I'm just here for all the pretty pictures.

That's fine. I'll add some more pretty pictures. Here's the double-barreled Stoeger I was talking about a few posts ago. I got it when I turned 16.

post-1712-0-41883800-1389475229_thumb.jpg

It has some really nice wood.

post-1712-0-33288600-1389475356_thumb.jpg

I went shooting with it recently, and tested some 00 buckshot on a recently-felled tree (the roots rotted out; I didn't cut it down). I circled the thirteen visible pellets - there were nine in each shell and my hand covered the rest. I fired both barrels at the felled tree, one after the next. The distance of firing was walked out, and approximately ten meters; probably the furthest distance you'd use this shotgun a in an indoor home defense scenario. The shotshell length is about 3 1/4" (~8.3cm), to give you an idea of the size of the spread.

post-1712-0-37122400-1389476145_thumb.jpg

It turns out that shooting is fun, no matter what you use.

Oh hey, I kinda forgot, but yeah I'll post a picture of my Sig once I have the time to get it uploaded and such. Didnt mean to leave you hanging.

I had a bit of fun in the backyard today with my Beretta Neos chambered in .22 Long Rifle. This is the gun in question.

post-1712-0-79019200-1389842063_thumb.jpg

Now, my neighbors don't take it very nicely when I shoot a firearm in my backyard, so I couldn't just shoot regular ammo in them. I had to find a solution. That solution came in the form of Aguila's Super Colibri ammo, a cartridge with a very small 20 grain bullet and no gunpowder. Instead, it propels the projectile using only the priming compound - the impact sensitive chemical explosive used normally to ignite the gunpowder. This is a box of fifty of them.

post-1712-0-70355800-1389842042_thumb.jpg

This is a size comparison of a .22 Long Rifle round (CCI Minimag) with gun powder and a 40 grain bullet, and the Aguila Super Colibri with its 20 grain conical bullet. The cases are the same length, but you can see that the two bullets are not the same length.

post-1712-0-81257500-1389842344_thumb.jpg

I made some art for you all today when shooting. I hope you enjoy it.

post-1712-0-10530700-1389842418_thumb.jpg

I'll be going shooting with some friends on Sunday out in the country again. It should be pretty fun. Maybe I'll have some more pictures for y'all.

• Upvote 1