Mr. Hatty

Evolve: A Sci-Fi Shooter From The Creators Of L4D

A few years ago, Turtle Rock studios, known for the creation of the spectacular game Left 4 Dead, went independent from Valve and signed up to get their next game published by THQ, a new IP running on the newest CryEngine.
After THQ went under, Take-Two acquired the publishing rights and the game switched to being a Next-Gen (XB1/PS4/Steam, so says the website) exclusive. 

cov_250_lsmall.jpg

The sci-fi multiplayer-focused shooter pits a four-player crew of alien hunters against a separate player-controlled monster that grows larger and more powerful over the course of matches. Each hunter features its own unique items and abilities, and while the monster may be outnumbered, its size and an assortment of devastating attacks make it a more than formidable foe. Like Turtle Rock's previous titles, Evolve is being built with variety and replayabilty in mind; the result is a novel mix of cooperative and competitive multiplayer elements that's unlike anything we've played before. Our exclusive hands-on time with the game's four-versus-one hunt mode left us with plenty to be excited about, and you can get all the details in this month's issue.

It sounds a lot like Left 4 Dead, but with a single person controlling the Alien threat that the team of 4 is fighting against. Very intriguing, and quite frankly I couldn't be more excited...... thoughts?

*Will Update OP As More Info Becomes Available*

Box Art:

x2zyjVO.jpg

Announced Platforms:

Xbox One

Playstation 4

Steam

Release Date:

Fall 2014

Gameplay info:

1 vs 4 Monster vs Hunters gameplay

"Hunted" is core mode, others yet to be revealed

Class system with unique weapons/equips per character

Multiple Monsters based on Stealth, Brawler, etc

Hunters in 1st Person, Monster in 3rd

Monster starts off small and weak, gets stronger over time with food

Hunters eventually become the hunted

Blends survival horror with action shooters

Plays "Like a fighting game" according to devs

Not simply "Left 4 Aliens"

Single player capabilites

Can play with 1-5 people at any time

More Information:

Evolve Official Website

Game Informer's Month Long Evolve Coverage

Evolve Concept Art From Early 2013

Edited by Mr. Hatty
  • Upvote 1

What I got from this...

1) A new game that features one player being the boss of the whole entire game, and 4 other players having to beat the boss.

2) Now I know I need 60$ for fall 2014.

3) I just realized that Dropped your Pocket's avatar pic has a cigarette in his mouth. I never noticed that before.

That is what I learned today...

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

• Upvote 1

As with all games that have aliens in them, I really hope it doesn't suck.

Aliens: Colonial Marines didnt suck... Oh... Nevermind.

But Im confused. So the people who made L4D and L4D2 wont be working on Left 4 Dead 3 now? The game looks cool but I thought the L4D series was a Valve thing.

As with all games that have aliens in them, I really hope it doesn't suck.

Aliens: Colonial Marines didnt suck... Oh... Nevermind.

But Im confused. So the people who made L4D and L4D2 wont be working on Left 4 Dead 3 now? The game looks cool but I thought the L4D series was a Valve thing.

Turtle Rock Studios was founded in 2002, they were purchased by Valve while making Left 4 Dead in 2008. Later in 2008, Valve shut down Turtle Rock and merged the staff with Valve's in-house development. In 2009, all former Turtle Rock members left and re-opened the studio as an indie developer, later getting THQ to sign them on for publishing. 

So basically,

Left 4 Dead was made by Turtle Rock Studios with some minor input from Valve

Left 4 Dead 2 was made completely by Valve's in-house development while using Turtle Rock assets

Left 4 Dead 3 is being worked on solely by Valve in-house

Evolve is being made solely by Turtle Rock Studios.

Oh ok. It sounds cool though. Is there a trailer out for it yet?

Nope, everything we know is in the OP, Gameinformer will be updating with new information and videos throughout January, so I'd check back there if you're interested, alternatively I'll be updating the OP whenever they provide new information as well, so you could just check back here.

It's not Half-Life 3.  The hell.

Turtle rock is not in charge of the L4D ip anymore, and with the success of valve's L4D2, the franchise would not have done much but hold back turtle rock. Take your L4D3 hype to Chet Faliszek from valve, I think he's the leader of the L4D dev team nowadays.

With that said I'm looking forward to see what a 4v1 multiplayer shooter has to offer, I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than novelty. I'll be sure to check this one out by the time it comes out.

Oh ok. It sounds cool though. Is there a trailer out for it yet?

Nope, everything we know is in the OP, Gameinformer will be updating with new information and videos throughout January, so I'd check back there if you're interested, alternatively I'll be updating the OP whenever they provide new information as well, so you could just check back here.

Sounds good. I wonder how the gameplay will actually play.

Honestly, I'm not excited because of the developers (although its a nice touch), but I'm honestly excited for this game and I don't get excited about games all that easily. Evolve is just the time of game I want to play, if the right balance can be found out (everyone only building one monster build or doing the same thing as the survivors) then this will be extremely fun. I'm imagining it being hide and seek, where the hunters are searching for this monster and he's trying to stay away, not to be found and slowly collect enough energy. Then suddenly one of your fellow hunters finds the monster, except this time he's not running away. Getting killed everyone tries to recollect and fight off the monster. At the end of the day, it just sounds like a damn good time.

Also, anyone interested should watch this video: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/08/what-is-evolve.aspx

• Upvote 1

I like how in the video, they guy says that if the monster finds enough food and survives, then he becomes the hunter. So it sounds like the monster at the start will be pretty weak and he must find some kind of food source in order to build up strength to attack the hunters. Seems like a really neat game.

L4D is the only valve game (besides Half-Life which is something i need to play again eventually) i gave a damn about. So i trust these guys not to mess up.

L4D is the only valve game (besides Half-Life which is something i need to play again eventually) i gave a damn about. So i trust these guys not to mess up.

Bro do you even Portal?

• Upvote 2

Bro do you even Portal?

Yeah man, try Portal, it's great.

As was TF2 before it became HatCraft simulator 2014 Edition..... Console version is still fun if you can get into a game... and if you aren't playing the botched PS3 port.

Ooh yeah, Counter-Strike is killer too, if you're into those kinda games

Bro do you even Portal?

Yeah man, try Portal, it's great.

As was TF2 before it became HatCraft simulator 2014 Edition..... Console version is still fun if you can get into a game... and if you aren't playing the botched PS3 port.

Ooh yeah, Counter-Strike is killer too, if you're into those kinda games

I agree, Portal is still my favourite Valve game. Its one of the the only games I can literally recommend to anyone; gamer or not.

And I still enjoy TF2 on occasion. But to be fair, I only ever really play 2Fort anyways.

Getting back on topic, Evolve sounds awesome. When I first heard of it, my initial thought was 'Oh, its just going to be L4D with Aliens'. After reading up on the game a little, it sounds much different. It has a really awesome concept. Hopefully the final product delivers  :-D 

Also, I agree with Zane:

It's better than Half Life 3 ever will be

I've never been a huge fan of the Half Life series. They're brilliant games, but I can think of plenty of other games I'd rather play instead  :-P

EDIT

Wow, that second quote^ really messed up

Edited by Chris

I can understand disliking most Valve games, but what about Ricochet?

The first trailer for the game. Think I would have liked actual voices and such instead of music but still fairly nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlaPT08Tmxc

A good breakdown of the trailer

And last but not least, 6 minutes of actual game play, and oh my jesus I can't wait.

Edit: For some reason the game play video wont load but the game play looks mighty fine. Edited by Scaler193
  • Upvote 1