SaltOnToast

Help With Drawing Art?

Okay so I really want to get good with drawing in general, you might look at my picture and think "What's he talking about that looks good!" but in truth I didn't draw it, it was drawn by a friend of mine for me...

I have been trying to practice (I also got myself a tablet so I can draw on my computer) but I just don't really see myself improving as much as I had hopped on my own so I was wondering if someone would be able to teach me

I'm sorry if this is a bit awkward its just as much to me to be asking the internet to give me art lessons.

Step 1. Grab a pencil.

Step 2. Draw.

Edited by HattyHattington.
  • Upvote 3

It all depends on what it is that you want to draw. I'm going to go ahead and assume it's character drawings, since they're easily the most popular internet-wise. 

First off, you should try and draw/doodle as much as possible. Keeping a notebook/small sketchbook handy helps. Draw whatever comes to mind, whenever it comes to mind. As long as you're practising, you're improving. You might really not like what you produce at first, and you'll probably come to dislike your earlier work over time, but this is just natural progression. You won't start out drawing amazing pieces (unless you're naturally talented...if so, lucky you  ;-)), but trying is the first step to success!

Second, look up some tutorials or references on deviantART. Online tutorials are a great way to better your skills if you find yourself stuck at any point. There are tutorials for pretty much all aspects of both traditional and digital art on the dA, and they can be very useful for those looking to improve.

Hope this post helped a little!  :-) 

Be like me:  Want to draw really badly.  Like, really really badly.  Come up with ideas of things to draw.  Draw them.  Realize you're terrible and cry in the corner when you don't win the 2013 Valentine's Day contest on a video game forum.

• Upvote 1

Basically just keep on drawing sketches every single day and over time improvement will show. Personally it helps when I do it on pencil first since drawing on my tablet feels wonky. (Needs a new pen nib.)

What pretty much everyone else said. Just draw every single day, or as much as you can anyways. Personally, I barely used tutorials, but instead references when I'm drawing. I find a picture with a similar pose to what I'm looking to draw, and take note on how lines are placed, how curved they are, etc. One of the biggest things I learned is that you don't use curved lines as often as you would think.

Of course if you're having problems, you can trace the picture. Get a feel down for it. Try not to get in the habit of tracing though, as its hard to get out of. Had a couple of my own problems their. But make sure to never share any work you trace. Other then that, I find tracing to be a good way to get a feel for drawing, and I would be lying if I said I didn't learn a few things from it.