Sign in to follow this  
Johnny187896

Battleblock Theater Pc Beta And Twitch.tv

Hey, I'm a streamer on Twitch.tv and I'm still slightly wary of whether I'll be able to stream the Beta, even after the most recent email.

I'm not partnered so I cannot run ads to generate ad revenue, and I don't have a sub button either, so I am not earning any money by streaming.  However, Twitch run pre-roll ads on all streams apart from people who have "old school" sub buttons, where subscribers never see ads.

Does this mean that streaming via Twitch.tv wont be possible, because of the pre roll ads?  I'd love to share the game with my followers and other people on Twitch, but I definitely don't want to be breaking rules and risking DMCA suspension or anything like it.

Thanks for any answer you can provide!

Edited by Johnny187896

No.  Same as the beta on Xbox, all beta testers will be under a NDA, promising to never share any videos/pictures/knowledge of the beta.  At least, that's how I understand it to be, from what I read, it's the same as the Xbox beta.

I could always be wrong about that, though.  I know they strictly forbade us from such things the first time around.

• Upvote 1

No. Same as the beta on Xbox, all beta testers will be under a NDA, promising to never share any videos/pictures/knowledge of the beta. At least, that's how I understand it to be, from what I read, it's the same as the Xbox beta.

Yes you actually can this time around. Only beta members have this info.

Update: There is a catch to streaming it though so please read your email:)

Edited by Swik

No. Same as the beta on Xbox, all beta testers will be under a NDA, promising to never share any videos/pictures/knowledge of the beta. At least, that's how I understand it to be, from what I read, it's the same as the Xbox beta.

Yes you actually can this time around. Only beta members have this info.

Update: There is a catch to streaming it though so please read your email:)

See, this still hasn't cleared much up.  It says you're allowed to stream it and make videos as long as long as no money is earned from it, but with Twitch rolling pre-roll ads, they're earning money from every stream, even when they're not live.  Just visiting someone's channel will trigger the rolling of an ad.

I know I'd have to have a discalimer saying it's the Beta too, which is completely fine, I'm just worried about the fact that Twitch has pre-roll ads.  Seeing as they are run when a channel is even offline, do you think it'd be okay?

Edited by Johnny187896

https://twitter.com/thebehemoth/statuses/446872615844446208

The Behemoth has somewhat approved the streaming on twitch. I think the monetization is directed to personal monetary gain. Since the user gains nothing from the pre-roll ads, it should be fine.

This is what I was thinking yeah.  Do partners earn money off of pre-rolls or is it only ads that they run?

Edited by Johnny187896

We will allow any accepted Beta Tester to share unaltered images, videos, and streams of the BattleBlock Theater Steam Beta as long as they have an attached disclaimer that the media shared is from the Beta Version of the game, the media is not monetized in any way, and the Beta is not given a review. No reviews of the BattleBlock Theater Steam Beta are allowed for press and non-press alike.

This is what an email I got said soo... yes I guess?

Edited by Ultanoka

We will allow any accepted Beta Tester to share unaltered images, videos, and streams of the BattleBlock Theater Steam Beta as long as they have an attached disclaimer that the media shared is from the Beta Version of the game, the media is not monetized in any way, and the Beta is not given a review. No reviews of the BattleBlock Theater Steam Beta are allowed for press and non-press alike.

This is what an email I got said soo... yes I guess?

Same email I got, the confusion stems from the fact that pre-roll ads earn Twitch money, but not the broadcaster unless they're partnered.  It looks like it'll be okay though.

I think its super cool for them to let us do that at all! So awesome!

It's all publicity for them, free advertising isn't something to turn away.  As far as a disclaimer goes, I'll just have a chat bot post it in chat every now and then.  Look like we're all systems go!

I think the difference with this beta and the 360 beta, is most people already know about BBT now and know what the gameplay looks like. I think people can stream/record this beta in order for people to get excited for the release.