Sign in to follow this  
GoldenGhost

What Have You Been Reading?

The "To Kill a Mockingbird" thread was a cool idea, but it's a little specific, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to discuss books of all kinds.

I personally NEVER read in my spare time, but I'm taking a literature class and thus have to read. I just got done Wuthering Heights, which was nice but not really my thing (romantic tragedy set in the early 1800's) and I'm now reading Hamlet and Life of Pi simultaneously. Hamlet is awesome because it's gosh darn Shakespeare, and Life of Pi is awesome because I've seen the movie and it was fantastic and my teacher claims the book is even better. So there you go.

What have you all been reading?

Silly nerd thinks he's better than everyone else because he reads.

Boo! Who even reads anymore? LOSERS, THAT'S WHO!

Why don't you get your nerdy four-eyed face out of your book and go get laid ya NERD!

Being serious though, I'm reading My Name Is Asher Lev, though admittedly only because my English teacher is making me. I haven't read a book out of my own will in awhile now, when I think about it (excluding re-reading books I've already read, which I do pretty often).

And my personal opinion: Life of Pi is boring as sin, I honestly couldn't wait until the ending because it stopped being interesting like 50 pages in. Never saw the movie. The Alchemist is much better IMO.

And my personal opinion: Life of Pi is boring as sin, I honestly couldn't wait until the ending because it stopped being interesting like 50 pages in. Never saw the movie.

Well if you're not willing to read it then at least watch the movie, it's well worth it. I'll admit the book is taking its sweet time to get to the action, but everything in Part 1 about Pi's backstory is important. It gets really cool later on, and the ending will blow your mind.

Edited by GoldenGhost

I'm usually reading whatever textbook I have for classes. Like... I religiously read my O Chem textbook so I don't fall behind.

I guess the last "not-really-for-academics" book I read was this book about different examples of evolution and how this one guy found the missing link between amphibians and fish. Also something brief about the Sonic hedgehog gene. I forgot what it was called, though.

I should read more fiction, I guess. Maybe I'll pick something up before I go traveling this summer.

And my personal opinion: Life of Pi is boring as sin, I honestly couldn't wait until the ending because it stopped being interesting like 50 pages in. Never saw the movie.

Well if you're not willing to read it then at least watch the movie, it's well worth it. I'll admit the book is taking its sweet time to get to the action, but everything in Part 1 about Pi's backstory is important. It gets really cool later on, and the ending will blow your mind.

I guess you misunderstood what I meant (Or perhaps my wording was just really poor?), but I have read the book, I just didn't enjoy it, it was interesting for a little bit but about 50 pages in I realized I wouldn't like it, but stuck with it because I knew I'd have to read it at some point anyway (It was supposed to be required reading for my Humanities AP class later in the year, never ended up getting an assignment on it though, so I wasted my time). Thought it was too boring, my mom loves the book though, and I guess the ending was alright.

I was also supposed to read A Tale of Two Cities for English earlier in the year, I had 4 essays due on it... But I never read it... Despite this though, I got perfect scores on 3 of the essays and a solid B on the fourth. Very proud of that, I am the king of BS.... but I suppose this is hardly relevant. I just think it's funny that I got a perfect grade on an essay about what "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" was, since it was the only sentence I read from the book.

P.S. Happy Easter 420 Blaze It Weew

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. "Ten little soldier boys going to dine; one choked his little self and there were Nine."

• Upvote 1

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. "Ten little soldier boys going to dine; one choked his little self and there were Nine."

Loved that book, defined a genre.

The Great Gatsby is probably my favorite book ever.

Yuck

I don't not like reading, I just kind of prefer almost everything else.

If I start to read a book I'll get, like, a page in and then realise that I could be killing myself instead. I've never killed myself, I usually just do something else, but I could of.

Edited by daikonboy101

I'm actually an exception in my group of friends. I read a lot one teacher described me as the one who always reads. Right now I'm reading the three musketeers for French class, the kite runner for English class and Ashes for personal reading.

Edit: also, to you GoldenGhost, Life of Pi is a good read, saw both book and movie for English class and loved them. The start is slow but it gets better.

Edited by yugo657

It's been a while since I've just sat down and read a book (not counting textbooks because they're all about product sketching and design and other boring stuff).

But I still read manga quite often, if that counts. Currently, I'm reading through the Berserk novels from the beginning again.  :-)

I read A LOT. Right now i am reading The Gatekeepers book 2:Evil Star. I am always reading a book, almost always of fiction, and enjoy them too. I am also a fast reader which is why I can read a lot of books. My favorite book series is probably the Legend series. It's really good.

I read A LOT. Right now i am reading The Gatekeepers book 2:Evil Star. I am always reading a book, almost always of fiction, and enjoy them too. I am also a fast reader which is why I can read a lot of books. My favorite book series is probably the Legend series. It's really good.

Me two man, read that series in like two weeks

As a freshman in highschool (grade 9), I actually started taking school a little serious, so I read my first book I've completed since around the 2nd grade. The book was the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, I really, really enjoyed that book, and was surprised that most of my class hated it.

Those squares.

Sorry for the Necrobump but I thought this thread could come back.

I am reading Heavier Than Heaven The Life of Kurt Cobain

It is interesting and I got it at Powells, the country's biggest book store and it talks about him as a baby, too his memorial.

Edit: 900 posts!!!! Elder Chicken Level Two, ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!

Edit #2: Nope, Im still level one..... anyone else like Nirvana?

Edited by Cat Guard

Since I find the TV episodes to be too long, I've recently started reading A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm only halfway through A Game of Thrones at the minute, but I'm really enjoying it.  :-)

Since I find the TV episodes to be too long, I've recently started reading A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm only halfway through A Game of Thrones at the minute, but I'm really enjoying it.  :-)

I was thinking of getting into that series, since I don't watch TV, but I've heard it's good.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, waiting for my manga to arrive in the mail.  AoT should be here today, but I have to wait until next week for Deadman Wonderland to arrive.  Gonna be rough choosing between Smashing and reading haha.

I'm reading a book called The Crucible only because it's for English. For fun and to help me in a certain game, I read Minecraft: Combat Handbook.

Just picked up The Hobbit yesterday, only read about 30 pages seems interesting though (No I haven't watched the films yet). Don't understand how they made 3 films with only a 350 page book. 

I picked up House of Cards (which the Netflix TV show is based off of) at my college book store recently. I haven't started it yet, but I'm interested to see the parallels between this book and the TV show. It takes place in England and the main character is trying to become king instead of President, so it sounds like the two stories will be different but will still have some stuff in common.

Edited by GoldenGhost