Mr. Hatty

Mario Kart General Dicussion

I grew tired of spamming the RPF with Mario Kart things, so here's a thread to post Mario Kart TV and such.

First bits of news to get the discussion started:

Mario Kart 8 has managed to sell 1.2mil+ units within its first weekend on the market

UK Wii U sales were boosted by 666% within the three days the game has been out

In the UK, Mario Kart is #2 on the All Platforms chart, not counting digital sales (Only beaten out by the massively hyped and successful Watch_Dogs)

So Pretty much this:

ieWvNy6maDnBU.gif

(From NeoGAF user -Horizon-, in case anyone is wondering)

• Upvote 3

I literally just set up my Wii-U yesterday. I think I'm in love. Best console I've ever owned (I'm actually using it to browse the forums right now).  :arrow:

It came with Mario Kart 8, but I think I'm going to hold off playing that until I get back home so I can use my monitor to play it instead of the gamepad. Until then, my free copy of Sonic Lost World should keep me busy.

It's no surprise that Mario Kart 8 has managed to shift Wii-U units in the UK, either. The advertisement campaign for the game over here has been pretty great.

• Upvote 1

I'm loving my MK8 bundle as well. I'm having way more fun with this than I was with the PS4 launch.

I love Mario Kart, even though I've only played 3 of the MK games. But now that I'm moving away from Nintendo and going to the dark side (literally, have seen how dark-colored the PS4 is?), I no longer really like it. Is it just me, or should all consoles, not including PC, have a decent family friendly racing game? From what I know, not many racing series compete with Mario Kart.

I love Mario Kart, even though I've only played 3 of the MK games. But now that I'm moving away from Nintendo and going to the dark side (literally, have seen how dark-colored the PS4 is?), I no longer really like it. Is it just me, or should all consoles, not including PC, have a decent family friendly racing game? From what I know, not many racing series compete with Mario Kart.

Why is it that you're moving away from Nintendo anyway?

I'd really appreciate an honest answer.

And if you REALLY want a Mario Kart alternative, then might I recommend Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which is, in my opinion, right up there with the better Mario Kart games and is available on nearly all platforms and handhelds (360/PS3/Wii/3DS/Vita/WiiU/PC/iOS/Android), though funnily enough if you're counting out the PC, then the Wii U version is still superior

(Really guys, it's Mario Kart, just buy a Wii U)

On that note though, I'm super excited at how many people got the Wii U for this game

• Upvote 2

And if you REALLY want a Mario Kart alternative, then might I recommend Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which is, in my opinion, right up there with the better Mario Kart games and is available on nearly all platforms and handhelds (360/PS3/Wii/3DS/Vita/WiiU/PC/iOS/Android), though funnily enough if you're counting out the PC, then the Wii U version is still superior

On that note though, I'm super excited at how many people got the Wii U for this game

Meh, guess I'm just... I don't know, really. I suppose I want something newer? Maybe because I have a PS4? And on sonic, no. I can't like much things Sonic-related. I have my reasons. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific, sorry. Now if there was a ModNation Racers PS4 game, then I suppose my thirts will be quenched. And all that racing-for-every-console thing will be erased. I've rethought that.

As a Gamestop employee, I can affirm to this being one of the best selling games this year so far.  Only beaten so far by Watch_Dogs in store sales, this game is selling like hot cakes.  We had 80+ copies available on launch day, 60 or so were preorders.  Today, literally a few days later, I sold our last copy, and had like four people ask if we had any in stock.  I might also add that we are considered a smaller store and lower volume than an average Gamestop location.  I truly believe this game is going to really help out the Wii U as a console, and I'm extremely happy to say that.

• Upvote 5

I'm still holding out on buying a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 almost sold me. Almost.

I mean, I really wanna play it 'cause it looks gorgeous and because Luigi Death Stare, but I don't know what other games I'd get besides Mario Kart. I know there's Smash Bros down the line, but... eh.

I hardly even play console stuff anymore 'cause I'm always fighting with my mom for the TV, but you can play games on the gamepad so.... HM.

I'm still holding out on buying a Wii U, but Mario Kart 8 almost sold me. Almost.

I mean, I really wanna play it 'cause it looks gorgeous and because Luigi Death Stare, but I don't know what other games I'd get besides Mario Kart. I know there's Smash Bros down the line, but... eh.

I hardly even play console stuff anymore 'cause I'm always fighting with my mom for the TV, but you can play games on the gamepad so.... HM.

I can attest to Off-TV play being a 100% viable option, there are so many games that support it.

-Pikmin 3

-Mario Kart 8

-Rayman Legends

-New Super Mario Bros. U

-New Super Luigi U

-Super Mario 3D World

-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

-Call of Duty: Black Ops II

-Call of Duty: Ghosts

-The Wonderful 101

-All Wii games

-Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate

-Resident Evil: Revelations

-Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed

-Parts of Nintendo Land and Game & Wario

-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

All of those work in Off-TV play, among others

I'm actually too far away from my router for my Wii U to have WiFi, so I plug it into the wall in another room, put my GamePad on a stand in my room, and play the game using my Wii Remote/Steering Wheel from the GamePad screen when I want to play with GoldenGhost and Dropped Your Pocket.

As far as other games coming out, we have

-Monolith's X

-Bayonetta 2

-Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

-Pokken Fighters (Rumored)

-Hyrule Warriors

-Watch_Dogs

-The Legend of Zelda U

-Untitled Natsume Wii U Title

-Untitled Mario Game

-Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

-Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

-Yarn Yoshi

-Project CARS

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2015

just to name a few

Meh, guess I'm just... I don't know, really. I suppose I want something newer? Maybe because I have a PS4? And on sonic, no. I can't like much things Sonic-related. I have my reasons. Perhaps I should have been a little more specific, sorry. Now if there was a ModNation Racers PS4 game, then I suppose my thirts will be quenched. And all that racing-for-every-console thing will be erased. I've rethought that.

Eh, suit yourself, but new doesn't automatically mean better, and I'm sure you'll end up perfectly content with your Playstation 4 just as I am with my Xbox One, but there is a real difference in quality when it comes to the love put into a 1st party Nintendo game, it just has the charm that is unmatched by any other company, and if you're really into the kart genre, I'm sorry to say you will find nothing that can surpass Mario Kart 8 in terms of sheer polish and quality (On that note though, I don't see how you can't play SART just because Sonic is in it, he's one of many characters in the game, and the gameplay itself, the part that really matters, is phenomenal and not even like the traditional series, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem is).

Why want something newer when you can instead want something better?

Gamepad play is pretty great. The past few days I've played Sonic Lost World on the gamepad exclusively and Im still really pleased with the system. I can even get a fair distance away from the console and not have any connection issues, too. 

And I guarantee the gamepad's TV remote function would be more than useful in your fight for the TV. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I was able to turn off the living room TV using it...my family weren't too happy though.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to play Rayman Legends for a while. I still haven't finished Origins, either. I've also heard nothing but good things about Super Mario Mario 3D World.

I almost forgot about that Pokemon game that's supposed to be on the Wii U, too. And there'll probably be some good stuff at E3.

I'll probably pick up one eventually, just waiting for the right time when I can make the most out of the purchase, I guess. Like a bundle or something. Finding time to play is also hard for me and I'm a little stingy with my money... BUT... we shall seeee.

• Upvote 1

I can attest to Off-TV play being a 100% viable option, there are so many games that support it.

-Pikmin 3

-Mario Kart 8

-Rayman Legends

-New Super Mario Bros. U

-New Super Luigi U

-Super Mario 3D World

-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

-Call of Duty: Black Ops II

-Call of Duty: Ghosts

-The Wonderful 101

-All Wii games

-Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate

-Resident Evil: Revelations

-Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed

-Parts of Nintendo Land and Game & Wario

-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

All of those work in Off-TV play, among others

I'm actually too far away from my router for my Wii U to have WiFi, so I plug it into the wall in another room, put my GamePad on a stand in my room, and play the game using my Wii Remote/Steering Wheel from the GamePad screen when I want to play with GoldenGhost and Dropped Your Pocket.

As far as other games coming out, we have

-Monolith's X

-Bayonetta 2

-Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric

-Pokken Fighters (Rumored)

-Hyrule Warriors

-Watch_Dogs

-The Legend of Zelda U

-Untitled Natsume Wii U Title

-Untitled Mario Game

-Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

-Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

-Yarn Yoshi

-Project CARS

-Sonic The Hedgehog 2015

just to name a few

Eh, suit yourself, but new doesn't automatically mean better, and I'm sure you'll end up perfectly content with your Playstation 4 just as I am with my Xbox One, but there is a real difference in quality when it comes to the love put into a 1st party Nintendo game, it just has the charm that is unmatched by any other company, and if you're really into the kart genre, I'm sorry to say you will find nothing that can surpass Mario Kart 8 in terms of sheer polish and quality (On that note though, I don't see how you can't play SART just because Sonic is in it, he's one of many characters in the game, and the gameplay itself, the part that really matters, is phenomenal and not even like the traditional series, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what the problem is).

Why want something newer when you can instead want something better?

Good point. Oh, and by Sonic I meant, well, the whole kazooie, if that makes any sense. Yeah, newer isn't always better, you're right about that. And I used to play Sonic games and Smash Bros and Mario Kart and stuff, but it just never caught on. Oh well. At least I'm getting two free games a month now for PS4. Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate and Trine 2: Complete were free and they are gorgeous, especially Trine. ... Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Just stopping by to say that Mario Kart 8 is incredible and soared above my high expectations, absolutely a must-have Wii U title.

Also gimme those Nintendo IDs, I wanna race y'all

Edited by GoldenGhost

Finally got around to playing MK8.

Seriously, everything in this game is beautiful, the soundtrack included. It's brilliant. It's amazing. If you have a Wii-U it literally is a must-own.

Speaking of owning, I'm going to need people's Nintendo IDs too. I wanna' raaaace.

(My Nintendo ID is 8bitSymphony)

So!? Who cares?

Anyway, back from this loser. Mines is Daikatana64.

Edited by daikonboy101

I think mine was TurkeyScrub. I haven't set anything up yet though, so it probably'll say I'm only on 3DS. I'll fix all that stuff once I get back from vacation.

Alright, I've added everyone who posted above.  :-) 

If anybody else wants to add me, my NNID is ChrisTheNinjer.