Sign in to follow this  
JadeFlames

Battleblock Theater Causing Pc To Crash And Have Bsod.

The first time I had this I was playing one of the near final levels around chapter six, enjoying some Battleblock, and there was a puzzle to let some cats down like a floodgate...So I let them past and die...I throw a grenade down there, and...It hit the wall, and...FROZE? Ok, just exit the...And I get a blue screen of death... Alright so I try a system repair and thankfully it works, but the next day, today, I finished BBT and decided to try the first encore, I'm running again, I jump and...ANOTHER crash, no BSoD and it straight up restarts...

After the BSoD from earlier and the restart, I had an issue where the Acer screen would appear normally, but when it said Starting Windows, it went straight back to the Acer screen, and suggested to do a system repair. I try once more to start normally...Can't do that, so I do a system repair. It fixed it fine, but by then I feared even starting up the game again!

I did a chkdsk, and it didn't mention any bad sectors from what I wrote down...

353536 file records processed
962 large file records processed
0 bad file records processed
0 EA records processed
61 repurse records processed
422890 index entries processed
34495280 USN bytes processed
353520 files processed
206327134 free clusters processed

Anyway, a few days later I looked in the options real quick to see if there were graphics to turn down...And V-Sync was there, and I looked it up and tried it off to realize my moniter doesn't even care about V-Sync...And it happened a third time...By being in the first chapter's lobby...I...

I don't know why, I just finished 1-3 for insane mode, got a donut from my dad, and turn around to see it happened a third time. It went to a black screen instead of resetting on starting windows, so I had to reset it to get to system repair, which caused another BSoD...So I let it sit on the black screen which happened when I booted Windows normally...And after a while it said it just fixed itself after a BSoD...Now I don't have the black screen issue anymore.

Anyway, I use Windows 7 and haven't had an issue like this with other tasking games. Portal 1/2, Minecraft, Roblox, Super Meat Boy, World of Goo. Nothing had this kind of issue. I'm not using any third party controller programs, so I don't know what to do now. The game ran fine for it's first few days, with the only lag I got was a very rare lag in a full multiplayer server, and I'd say that's more about my internet connection!

Hey, I'm going to throw some basic things at you first -- just to cover our bases. Before you get started, please ensure that you disable all background applications to create a clean troubleshooting canvas:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8043-EUJN-5239

First, please validate your files, by right clicking on the game title in the Library of the Steam client. Then pick: Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache. 

Please ensure that your video card drivers and DirectX are completely up-to-date. We recommend that you uninstall the drivers for your video card completely, then go to your video card manufacturer's website and manually download the latest drivers. 

Please also try using some of these troubleshooting steps. 

Can you please also post your dxdiag? 

If you're unfamiliar with this process, here are some instructions:

Hey, I'm going to throw some basic things at you first -- just to cover our bases. Before you get started, please ensure that you disable all background applications to create a clean troubleshooting canvas:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8043-EUJN-5239

First, please validate your files, by right clicking on the game title in the Library of the Steam client. Then pick: Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache. 

Please ensure that your video card drivers and DirectX are completely up-to-date. We recommend that you uninstall the drivers for your video card completely, then go to your video card manufacturer's website and manually download the latest drivers. 

Please also try using some of these troubleshooting steps. 

Can you please also post your dxdiag? 

If you're unfamiliar with this process, here are some instructions:

Alright...

I don't know how to do a few of these things saying this isn't MY PC (It's my families)...And it's rather confusing, but I'll try to do what I can.

I have done the verification only for it to say they are all validated.

00c0af15a1e587e43e572cf2bdd0e9a0.png

And I have gotten the following stats for the dxdiag

09adda2ca20af575da12940667dd1cfd.png90055909b526115d8cc43b01eafb98d0.png1212f3e023a7b377989f9fe49e8b92c9.png9ad5a56f871504b342c9535051f93e4d.png

I'm not going to quote just so the post doesn't get suuuuper long... first off, thanks for providing the info!

My first thoughts: 

1) Your video card drivers look several generations out of date. Please try downloading and installing the correct drivers from Intel. Your card drivers should be here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+G45+Express+Chipset

2) Unfortunately, it looks like you are a little bit below minspec, both for your CPU and your video card (which is integrated). Is this an older computer? You may just be running out of resources as you are playing, and crashing. :-/ 

A lot of times, though, we find people are still able to play when they are below minspec but have degraded performance, so give some of the troubleshooting things we suggested a try!

I'm not going to quote just so the post doesn't get suuuuper long... first off, thanks for providing the info!

My first thoughts: 

1) Your video card drivers look several generations out of date. Please try downloading and installing the correct drivers from Intel. Your card drivers should be here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+G45+Express+Chipset

2) Unfortunately, it looks like you are a little bit below minspec, both for your CPU and your video card (which is integrated). Is this an older computer? You may just be running out of resources as you are playing, and crashing. :-/ 

A lot of times, though, we find people are still able to play when they are below minspec but have degraded performance, so give some of the troubleshooting things we suggested a try!

Honestly I'm just surprised I got such a fast response! Rather helpful...

1. I have just updated it to the following.

354871f27e4b147bb8bddce5a673cb64.png

I now have a few questions...

1. Should I try running the game again? Before the third crash, I was actually able to play with my friend for a few hours online.

2. How do new drivers help? A lot of optimization?

3. Is the mentioned degraded performance with V-Sync off and disabled fancy backgrounds.

And for 2. Yea this PC is rather old...It was used from a family member...According to the update history, the PC dates back to at least 10/10/2007.

Some responses for you:

1. Yes, please try running the game again and let me know what happens. 

2. We've found that outdated drivers can cause conflicts that cause crashes in your game, so this will hopefully help your stability. There are some additional things we can try if this doesn't help, but they are a little more complex so I'd rather not go there if we don't have to. 

3. Yes, that's right. :) 

OK, thanks, that's good to know!

Keep us updated -- we will be out of the office for the 4th of July weekend, but hopefully we can help you get things running! Just keep in mind that since you are slightly under minspec, your computer technically does not support BattleBlock. You may seem some issues with crashes, framerate drops, or puzzles that seem more difficult/impossible due to timing problems. If this happens, try restarting your computer, which might help. 

Some responses for you:

1. Yes, please try running the game again and let me know what happens. 

2. We've found that outdated drivers can cause conflicts that cause crashes in your game, so this will hopefully help your stability. There are some additional things we can try if this doesn't help, but they are a little more complex so I'd rather not go there if we don't have to. 

3. Yes, that's right. :)

OK, thanks, that's good to know!

Keep us updated -- we will be out of the office for the 4th of July weekend, but hopefully we can help you get things running! Just keep in mind that since you are slightly under minspec, your computer technically does not support BattleBlock. You may seem some issues with crashes, framerate drops, or puzzles that seem more difficult/impossible due to timing problems. If this happens, try restarting your computer, which might help. 

Alright glad to hear, I'm going to try it out some more! Also though, there wasn't usually any slowdown or issues other then those crashes, I just love playing this game. I've already beaten it so I think everything is do-able. I'll keep you updated!

Edited by JadeFlames

Well as far as I can tell I've been having no issues related to crashing after this! Thank you! I've actually now collected at least a few more special heads and beaten solo insane mode!

• Upvote 1

Well as far as I can tell I've been having no issues related to crashing after this! Thank you! I've actually now collected at least a few more special heads and beaten solo insane mode!

Daaaang... good job! Insane can be punishing. O_O