Sign in to follow this  
JadeFlames

[Spoilers!] Discussion: Changes From Inital Bbt Designs

I thought I'd make a discussion about one of the greatest games! BBT! A few days ago I was looking up the Steam trailer because who doesn't like that, it's awesome!...But then I found this interesting video.

Now there is a few major things to notice. Larger, yet emptier stages, cats looking generally more evil, instead of hundreds of friends in the Friend Ship, there's only you and a suitless Hatty. Greed over who gets the hat like they found it, instead of the cats forcing it on him, and by the looks of it, Hatty using the prisoners as slaves intentionally to get cash, along with stealing the one gem he has!...And even a couple cat designs!

Another interestnig video is this!

Notice once again, larger stages? More interesting things are Cat Shaped heads, which could either be used for bots or for a new style of head to the player.

Along with that are generally more players in the stages, and one of them even dropping a yellow gem! Could this have been a previous version of the Soul Game, or perhaps an initial design of the Golden Hat, worth 10 gems?

You can notice several things in this gameplay video as well, such as FOUR teams/squads. Now a team wouldn't be a team with JUST one player, right? Which re-enforces the multiple players, at least 8! Along with that is the previously mentioned bots, "Bad Guy 1/2", along with a new lobby.

The last thing we can see at the end of that is that the cat heads turned into different heads?... And instead of a cat coloring in your score, your legs randomly grow. This was probably later changed for how famous you are.

This is all of the info I've found so far, but maybe you guys have more to reveal, or maybe a dev has a little insight on what happened!

Edited by JadeFlames

Cool! You forgot to point out, you spawn in a teleporter instead of a cage and the gift shop looks different. Such as the capsules where you free the prisoners are doors instead. And different animations for the cat guard in the gift shop. Also prototype cat guards.

Along with that, one minute into the first video we can see players using ARMOR...And also I'm not sure but I think the five button puzzles are unused as well!

Edit: I have just did a bit of testing, apparently they still function in-game!...Quite a few forms! All useable in the level editor.

There is the 2x2, which works pretty well, but would take up a lot of space.

A 2x1 never works due to randomization, but a 1x1 acts as a good one use only platform!

I can see why 5x1 isn't used. It always felt I could only get a max of 4/5 matching, and I don't think it's solveable, at least without really ruining the flow of gameplay.

Same goes for 3x3, although it's even harder, due to being unable to directly use the center piece, but the four sides effect it.

Edit Again:

A nice friend has shown me these videos which explains the old story better. It's older then the first video, which shows a more evil Hatty, but this one suggests that both you and Hatty found a hat, and were playing around with it!

http://www.battleblocktheater.com/story/

Edited by JadeFlames

I like the idea that they were giving the trailers a much more "theater" feel with the music and how it was presented, it seems like they strayed from that theme a bit in the later years and more like a puppet show.

The thing that interests me the most is that the story for BBT was gonna be super different... I actually think about this a lot.

There was a Hatty Hattington Facebook page a while back, which maybe suggests that Hatty was gonna be something more than just a sack of potatoes.

As a side note, the Facebook page is where KWW and I got our inspiration from for the Hatty askblog on Tumblr.

This then leads me to thinking what the ending would have been like if these elements were part of the story instead and if the ending would have been different or not.

Would Buckle Ur Pants even have become a thing?

I don't know, do you? I don't! Do you? I don't!

Edited by pickles4nickles
  • Upvote 1