Sign in to follow this  
FredFlintstoned

Playing Co-Op Campaign On Insane

Here are some of my observations I've made after playing co-op campaign of BBT on XBLA:

I'm almost done getting all of my achievements on the XBLA version of this game.

The last achievement I need is to get a letter grade for all the levels on co-op campaign on insane.

I'm on the final boss stage of level 8 and I hope to have that done later this week.

One of the biggest problems I've had with playing co-op campaign is just finding someone playing on insane with a good connection.  There's not a whole lot of people playinig co-op campaign on insane for some reason.   

Out of those who are playing insane co-op, 90% don't have mics. 

Out of the 10% who do have mics, most of them are 7 years old or younger.  I have no problems playing this game with younger players but this game does require a certain level of discipline, skill, patience, communication and forethought to complete - which many younger players seem to lack.   No offense to our younger players who may be reading this who do have those qualities.

I was frustrated trying to find good players who have a mic to play co-op campaign on insane. So what did I do?  I just plugged in a second controller on my Xbox and played co-op campaign on insane by myself.  I've gotten to the last boss level on stage 8 this way.  The only stage that absolutely requires you to have a second player is 8-4 where you have to drop down a narrow passage by pushing red buttons for your partner while hanging on to the monkey bars to avoiid the lasers. 

But other than that stage, you can pretty much leave the 2nd player just sitting there at the start of each level.   You may occasionally need to pick up the 2nd controller and have him stand on top of a button or something.   But otherwise, you can do most of this yourself.   Since both players do not need to reach the exit in order to complete a level, this works out well.

Here are some things that really helped me get past most levels that normally would require a 2nd player to help out.

Weapons/equipment that really helped:

- Using the poison bubble to jump on top of to get past large gaps or reach a higher platform.

- Using the nerf dart to stick to walls to jump to higher levels or platforms.

- Using the frog to jump on top of to cross large water or spike gaps.

- Using the exploding paper airplane to kill enemies far away.

- Using the grenade to kill enemies in lower places.

Sometimes, there are occasions that require one player to judo throw (hold down RT - right trigger) to get one player across a chasm where a poison bubble or nerf darts simply don't work.  In that case, I simply placed my controller against the wall with my feet so that the RT trigger button is held down.  Then I used the first controller like normal to walk into that player so that he would judo throw me automatically to where I wanted to go.

On one level on stage 8 (I think it was 8-6 or 8-7), there was a tricky situation where one player has to hold down a red button to allow the 2nd player to make a wall disappear.  The 2nd player then needs to bounce off a lava block to get past that area.  But the first player has to get off the red button immediately after the 2nd player bounces off the lava block so that another wall appears right before the user hits a wall of spikes.  The 2nd player will hit the wall and they have to double jump up to get to safety, otherwise, they'll fall into another set of spikes down below.

This was a bit trick to do myself but the way I did it was I placed both players right at the end of each block.

I put player 1 on top of the red button but right at the edge so that any movement to the right would cause him to fall of the button.  Then I placed the 2nd player right next to the lava block so the any movement to the left would cause him to bounce off it. 

I actually used my foot to tap the first controller to cause the first player to fall off the button at the same time I tapped the 2nd controller (which I held in my hand) to bounce off the lava wall. 

Then I could easily double jump up to the wall to safety immediately after that. 

Generally speaking, if you are playing with another player, it seems easier to just let one player play through the game while the other one waits at a safe location.  There's less risk of death and less accidents this way.  You won't have 2 players inadvertently bumping into each other to cause an untimely death. 

I thought I would share these tips with people who couldn't find any good players to play co-op campaign with.

Edited by FredFlintstoned
  • Upvote 1

I'm grounded this week but I would be glad to help some other time. My mic broke but I can still plug it in and listen

I will be back on next monday on my xbox

Sadly this is an issue with most coop based games.

Its a very common complaint in guns of icarus which is why I'm pretty much campaigning for a lock crew feature and kick crewman feature so I will never suffer the horror of having some noob that join midgame to ruin the flow I've established with 1 or 2 decent players and AI.

I hear tf2 suffer from this as well. Where some matches everybody wants to be the power class and care about kill death ratio when it doesn't matter in tf2 games.

Lol and dota seem to suffer from the same stigma. Lots of noobs acting like know it alls and blaming their own inaneness towards competent team mates that are picking up their slack, only to have this noob complain about not getting support.

CC suffers this as well, when I ever go into a game of 3 strangers its always a fight to do anything. It is pretty much only possible via friends on steam, at least that way you can chat if mics are not available.

In anycase I've made my recommendation on how to improve these games and lessen the suffering of such frustrating gameplay.

But at the core of it, you can never truly get rid of it. Because its not really a game issue and more a player issue.

One thing I noticed with co-op campaign in general, regardless of Insane or otherwise is, whoever isn't the host can get killed instantly simply by moving around with a rock, unless they're like super careful.

Thanks for sharing that info about weapons and equipment btw, maybe it'll make Insane co-op super easy. Hopefully it won't take its toll  on my sanity like Solo Insane...

One thing I noticed with co-op campaign in general, regardless of Insane or otherwise is, whoever isn't the host can get killed instantly simply by moving around with a rock, unless they're like super careful.

Thanks for sharing that info about weapons and equipment btw, maybe it'll make Insane co-op super easy. Hopefully it won't take its toll  on my sanity like Solo Insane...

if you're anal like me and got everything at A++ on normal. its all muscle memory.

if you're anal like me and got everything at A++ on normal. its all muscle memory.

If you're like me, you'll try for it, then go 'I DONT CARE' out of unbelievable anger.

Thank you so much or your friendshippingly helpful tips. I just finished insane solo and the thought of doing that with a stranger from the internets or with a second controller seems very daunting to me; but alas, I am far too addicted to simply not try to get every single achievement.
Wish me luck! I'm going to cheat as much as possible.

Thank you so much or your friendshippingly helpful tips. I just finished insane solo and the thought of doing that with a stranger from the internets or with a second controller seems very daunting to me; but alas, I am far too addicted to simply not try to get every single achievement.

Wish me luck! I'm going to cheat as much as possible.

like castle crashers

you just need to know who to ask.

have someone from the community to regularly play with. and create a system to easily communicate, like voice chat (tho I personally hate it since I'm one of those very quiet when concentrating types).

that being said I will be free after this weekend.

so anyone wanting to do any coop action. add me on steam and send me an invite if I'm not busy or asleep. I'll help out.

With my recently acquired free time I'm active 12 hours a day (starting monday GMT).

Edited by Ceresbane