Sign in to follow this  
Cat Guard

The Chuck Norris Thread

I can't believe people still think this is funny.

its an opinion. there is no right, there is no wrong. I am not dissagreeing with you because its your opinion. Just dont try to change peoples opinion.

its an opinion. there is no right, there is no wrong. I am not dissagreeing with you because its your opinion. Just dont try to change peoples opinion.

Hate to go on an off-topic tangent, but there most certainly are opinions that are wrong. 

"Well I think smoking meth is actually making me live longer"

False. That is a WRONG opinion. An opinion, yes, but methamphetamines are FACTUALLY PROVEN to lower your lifespan. The notion that it is impossible for an opinion to be right or mom is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Furthermore, telling someone to not try to change the opinions of others is straight-up negating discussion, which is the entire purpose for a forum.

Ex:

Hitler: "Well I think that the Jews are horrible people and that I should burn them all alive... hmm, I may just do that"

Random guy who overheard Hitler: "Well, I don't agree with that but hey, opinions can't be wrong, and it would be bad of me to try to do anything to change that opinion, so I guess I'll just leave him to that because I have no right to question something that is purely opinion."

Yes, I am very passionate about this, and no, Chuck Norris jokes aren't funny anymore, and neither are Shrek threads for that matter

#DealWithIt 

Hate to go on an off-topic tangent, but there most certainly are opinions that are wrong. 

False. That is a WRONG opinion. An opinion, yes, but methamphetamines are FACTUALLY PROVEN to lower your lifespan. The notion that it is impossible for an opinion to be right or mom is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. Furthermore, telling someone to not try to change the opinions of others is straight-up negating discussion, which is the entire purpose for a forum.

Ex:

Hitler: "Well I think that the Jews are horrible people and that I should burn them all alive... hmm, I may just do that"

Random guy who overheard Hitler: "Well, I don't agree with that but hey, opinions can't be wrong, and it would be bad of me to try to do anything to change that opinion, so I guess I'll just leave him to that because I have no right to question something that is purely opinion."

Yes, I am very passionate about this, and no, Chuck Norris jokes aren't funny anymore, and neither are Shrek threads for that matter

#DealWithIt 

he didnt state why he thought it was not funny. If he killed his dad than thats ok but he didnt give a reason to dissagree

Edited by Cat Guard

Chuck Norris jokes aren't funny anymore

Well we might as well move this thread over to Serioustown right on to Serious Avenue and rename it to ""Why opinions can/can't be wrong" cause this thread is going that way. 

• Upvote 2

False. That is a WRONG opinion. An opinion, yes, but methamphetamines are FACTUALLY PROVEN to lower your lifespan. The notion that it is impossible for an opinion to be right or mom is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

Well since you're getting all technical, what you gave is an example of a belief, which is different from an opinion. A belief is something you think is a fact, based on faith, morals, or evidence that isn't necessarily verifiable. Think about people who are religious: sacred texts like the Bible are taken as fact to them, but nobody can prove that they are factual. Nobody can really prove that they aren't true either, so whether you believe they're true or not depends on your faith. (And let's please not start a debate on this, I'm just giving an example.) In the situation you gave, the person thinks that smoking meth is making them live longer; they think it's a fact. We all know it's false, but they obviously don't recognize the factual evidence that proves them wrong. It's different from someone saying "'Guardians of the Galaxy' was good", because whether it's good or not is completely debatable and there is no fact to prove one way or the other. There are lots of opinions and pieces of evidence to support it being good, but nothing about the movie clearly defines it as "good".

TL;DR Beliefs are different from opinions, and if you believe that there are wrong opinions then your belief is wrong because it contradicts the definition of "opinion"

Edited by GoldenGhost
  • Upvote 1

False. That is a WRONG opinion. An opinion, yes, but methamphetamines are FACTUALLY PROVEN to lower your lifespan. The notion that it is impossible for an opinion to be right or mom is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

Well since you're getting all technical, what you gave is an example of a belief, which is different from an opinion. A belief is something you think is a fact, based on faith, morals, or evidence that isn't necessarily verifiable. Think about people who are religious: sacred texts like the Bible are taken as fact to them, but nobody can prove that they are factual. Nobody can really prove that they aren't true either, so whether you believe they're true or not depends on your faith. (And let's please not start a debate on this, I'm just giving an example.) In the situation you gave, the person thinks that smoking meth is making them live longer; they think it's a fact. We all know it's false, but they obviously don't recognize the factual evidence that proves them wrong. It's different from someone saying "'Guardians of the Galaxy' was good", because whether it's good or not is completely debatable and there is no fact to prove one way or the other. There are lots of opinions and pieces of evidence to support it being good, but nothing about the movie clearly defines it as "good".

TL;DR Beliefs are different from opinions, and if you believe that there are wrong opinions then your belief is wrong because it contradicts the definition of "opinion"

Thats kind of what I'm trying to prove so thank you Golden Ghost.

Remember when this was a Chuck Norris thread. Me Neither.

Remember when this was in the Off-Topic Zone? Me Neither.

Surprised people are seriously debating something I posted at 3:00AM in a Chuck Norris thread. Mmmkay.

(Secretly surprised/relieved none of the responses had to do with me saying Shrek jokes weren't funny)

Anyway, y'all are entitled to your Chuck Norris, I just didn't realize this was still something people actually enjoyed. My uncle works at Chuck Norris and says that he's not even that strong, so whatever.

This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere and it like it'll escalate even further if I keep it open.

If you have any issue, go PM me.