Mr. Hatty

Gameinformer Gets Hands-On With Game 4

Hands-On With The Behemoth’s Time And Dimension Shifting New Game

Lots of cool information in here

In my demo, my hero is a father with a wife and child in front of their house when a group of cannibals come by saying they want to eat them. The child and mother run inside and combat begins. It’s a simple matter of placing your hero where they will be most effective. Starting out, I had a shield and a sword. The shield is great for blocking arrows, meaning I am safe from the archers. I focus my attention on those without long-range weaponry. I place my hero in front of them and let the combat happen. In Game 4, you don’t select from a series of attacks, or even select who you want to fight. It’s all about making sure everyone is placed appropriately. If there are two enemies connected to your grid space for example, you don’t pick which one to attack. Your hero just attacks maybe one of them, maybe both. It’s random.

As I made my way along the open map, obscured by the fog of war, I found a button that let me poop. Paladin said the pooping is so you can prevent yourself from getting lost and mark previously visited positions. Paladin said they considered bread crumbs, but that wouldn’t make sense because they would get eaten by wildlife. Plus, wouldn’t you want to follow in the footsteps of someone who is clearly eating well and having regular bowel movements?

More good stuff in the link above

Game4_ArenaBattle.jpg

cupcake-01.jpeg

Game4_HoratioPipistrellaYosef_BattleAtBu

• Upvote 6

This sounds like a very neat concept for a game, and I'm glad to hear it has the good old Behemoth charm we all love. The only thing that worries me...

"If there are two enemies connected to your grid space for example, you don’t pick which one to attack. Your hero just attacks maybe one of them, maybe both. It’s random."

So... hypothetically, you could plan all of your moves perfectly and get cheated out of every encounter... I'm skeptical, but I know the Behemoth will make this a fair and awesome strategy game. I can't wait, I'll definitely keep a close eye on this one!

Paladin said the pooping is so you can prevent yourself from getting lost and mark previously visited positions. Paladin said they considered bread crumbs, but that wouldn’t make sense because they would get eaten by wildlife. Plus, wouldn’t you want to follow in the footsteps of someone who is clearly eating well and having regular bowel movements?

Brilliance^

Anyway, the randomness in attacking might add an unexpected element to a fight you would otherwise be certain to win...or lose. It works both ways, I guess. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out for myself, eventually.

• Upvote 1

My one concern would probably be prioritizing targets.

In normal TRPGs you would definitely be able to pick which target you'd want to hit.

In this one you can't.

Now I'm intrigued as to how long ranged combatants work in this.

Given that they probably have the ability to shoot long distances in all 6 directions, would they immediately start shooting at whoever comes within their range?

In normal TRPGs you would definitely be able to pick which target you'd want to hit.

In this one you can't.

Given that they probably have the ability to shoot long distances in all 6 directions, would they immediately start shooting at whoever comes within their range?

I got a chance to play the demo and the long distance characters seemed to attack everyone in their range.  Now, it may be that they have a certain limit of attacks and then spread them out randomly, or it could have been that everyone in range gets attacked.

Called it, tactics game it is indeed.  Seems like a very neat concept, similar to The Banner Saga and whatnot.  Very interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it eventually.

*heavy breathing*

EDIT: Oh, and guys, there's a cyclops in the arena's crowd. The Behemoth seems to like cyclops as much as Bethesda likes prisoners.

EDIT2: *heavy breathing stops when looks at first two platforms it is coming to*

Edited by MeltedCow

In this one you can't.

I got a chance to play the demo and the long distance characters seemed to attack everyone in their range.  Now, it may be that they have a certain limit of attacks and then spread them out randomly, or it could have been that everyone in range gets attacked.

I guess that's good.

Although I do still have some concerns, being a massive fan of the tactics genre.

I'm still REALLY excited for Game 4.

Called it, tactics game it is indeed.  Seems like a very neat concept, similar to The Banner Saga and whatnot.  Very interesting, I'm looking forward to hearing more about it eventually.

They said that "Castle Carters" didn't make the cut when I asked why they didn't go with a racing game.

You got the joke wrong... IT WAS TITLED ''Behemoth Kart''

Dangit... I wanted Dan and Tom Racing... remember that joke?

I still really want to play game 4 though

Im sorry... :cry:

Shame. Dan could really show his artistic talents with a text-based adventure game. I guess a turn based tactic game will suffice.

• Upvote 1

Shame. Dan could really show his artistic talents with a text-based adventure game. I guess a turn based tactic game will suffice.

I totally agree with you. Very unique view. 

Hi!

Don't be too concerned over target stuff.  You can still pick many of your targets through positioning.

If they're all wall-to-wall you will have to attack the sides to focus a single unit, but in practice if a team wants to win it is almost impossible for either team to remain in this kind of walled configuration.  There's a lot of units moving around due to necessity, so normally there are at least always 1 or 2 targets who are going to be vulnerable.

About archers;  Archers will pick their closest targets since their accuracy is based on range.  There is a chance to miss, which will pick a random hex nearby to land.  This can cause friendly fire as well, and works pretty nicely on clusters of enemies.

To draw archer fire, put a unit closest to them (as long as it isn't melee range) and the archers will have no choice but to fire on that target - unless they move.  Archers cannot move and fire on the same turn unless they are on a Spidaur's back (the Spidaur moves around, not the archer), which makes them much more effective.

Mortar users work opposite - by picking the farthest target in their range so the blast doesn't have as much of a likelihood for friendly fire.  Mortars are essentially anti-archer units, or for peppering the enemy with some shrapnel before the battle really picks up.  However, they have a much larger minimum-range than any other range attack in the game.  This means if a unit is nearby they cannot fire upon it.  Rushing a mortar user means certain doom for them, unless their friendlies can chase you off.

There are light, medium, and heavy ranged weapons in the game.  Lots of variety inside of those categories, too.  (Flamethrowers, Grenades, Throwing axes, Uzis, Mortars, Laserguns, etc etc).  The lighter the bow, the more shots it tends to fire, though each shot is less accurate and does less damage.

If a unit is carrying a gun type weapon or thrown weapon, they can move and fire on that turn.

Shields have a chance to deflect all projectiles - unicorn horns, mortars, axes, bullets, etc.

Since this game works fundamentally different than most, there are all kinds of new strategies that emerge from it.

• Upvote 2

Hi!

Don't be too concerned over target stuff.  You can still pick many of your targets through positioning.

If they're all wall-to-wall you will have to attack the sides to focus a single unit, but in practice, if a team wants to win it is almost impossible for either team to remain in this kind of configuration.  There's a lot of units moving around and being able to be targeted as you please.

About archers;  Archers will pick their closest targets since their accuracy is based on range.  To draw their fire, put a unit closest to them (as long as it isn't melee range) and they will have no choice but to fire on that target - unless they move.  Archers cannot move and fire on the same turn unless they are on a Spidaur's back.

oh crap! dan responded after months! um... hi dan. whats up?

Hi!

If they're all wall-to-wall you will have to attack the sides to focus a single unit, but in practice if a team wants to win it is almost impossible for either team to remain in this kind of walled configuration.  There's a lot of units moving around due to necessity, so normally there are at least always 1 or 2 targets who are going to be vulnerable.

About archers;  Archers will pick their closest targets since their accuracy is based on range.  There is a chance to miss, which will pick a random hex nearby to land.  This can cause friendly fire as well, and works pretty nicely on clusters of enemies.

To draw archer fire, put a unit closest to them (as long as it isn't melee range) and the archers will have no choice but to fire on that target - unless they move.  Archers cannot move and fire on the same turn unless they are on a Spidaur's back (the Spidaur moves around, not the archer), which makes them much more effective.

Mortar users work opposite - by picking the farthest target in their range so the blast doesn't have as much of a likelihood for friendly fire.  Mortars are essentially anti-archer units, or for peppering the enemy with some shrapnel before the battle really picks up.  However, they have a much larger minimum-range than any other range attack in the game.  This means if a unit is nearby they cannot fire upon it.  Rushing a mortar user means certain doom for them, unless their friendlies can chase you off.

There are light, medium, and heavy ranged weapons in the game.  Lots of variety inside of those categories, too.  (Flamethrowers, Grenades, Throwing axes, Uzis, Mortars, Laserguns, etc etc).  The lighter the bow, the more shots it tends to fire, though each shot is less accurate and does less damage.

If a unit is carrying a gun type weapon or thrown weapon, they can move and fire on that turn.

Shields have a chance to deflect all projectiles - unicorn horns, mortars, axes, bullets, etc.

Since this game works fundamentally different than most, there are all kinds of new strategies that emerge from it.

Wow, I really have to reconsider my first thoughts abut the game. It sounds brilliant!