Sign in to follow this  
jprjr

[Mac Os X] Castle Crashers Gamepad Support

Hi there -

I have a Mac running OS X Yosemite, and a MayFlash PlayStation 2 to USB adapter. (this model http://www.mayflash.com/Products/PLAYSTATION/PC006.html)

I'd really like to use my controllers with Castle Crashers. I've gone ahead and setup my controller in Steam's Big Picture mode, but when I launch Castle Crashers it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Is there anything I can do to get my controllers working?

Hi there -

I have a Mac running OS X Yosemite, and a MayFlash PlayStation 2 to USB adapter. (this model http://www.mayflash.com/Products/PLAYSTATION/PC006.html)

I'd really like to use my controllers with Castle Crashers. I've gone ahead and setup my controller in Steam's Big Picture mode, but when I launch Castle Crashers it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Hi there! Simple answer -- there are a couple of compatibility issues with your set-up. 

First off, the PlayStation 2 controller is not natively supported by Castle Crashers. We only support DirectInput and XInput API controllers. 

Secondly, your adapter is not natively supported for MAC OS -- looks like it only provides PC driver support:

Compatible with Win 98, Win98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 or Win XP, and Direct-X 7.0a or above. Support 4 types of vibration: Constant Force, Sine Force, Spring Force, Ramp Force. By pushing "start+select+up" for 3 seconds, you can switch to PS/PS2 Dancing Pad mode.

With that said, you may be able to get it running with a third party driver or controller emulator -- we actually don't recommend this at The Behemoth, though, because third party drivers can cause big issues with your game and your controller. There is no one third party driver that we officially support for our games, so you might have to ask around to find one that will work. 

We do support keyboard play and the Xbox 360 controller, or any USB controller that uses DirectInput or XInput! 

Best of luck -- hope you enjoy Castle Crashers!

Hi there -

Hi there! Simple answer -- there are a couple of compatibility issues with your set-up. 

First off, the PlayStation 2 controller is not natively supported by Castle Crashers. We only support DirectInput and XInput API controllers. 

Secondly, your adapter is not natively supported for MAC OS -- looks like it only provides PC driver support:

Compatible with Win 98, Win98SE, Win ME, Win 2000 or Win XP, and Direct-X 7.0a or above. Support 4 types of vibration: Constant Force, Sine Force, Spring Force, Ramp Force. By pushing "start+select+up" for 3 seconds, you can switch to PS/PS2 Dancing Pad mode.

With that said, you may be able to get it running with a third party driver or controller emulator -- we actually don't recommend this at The Behemoth, though, because third party drivers can cause big issues with your game and your controller. There is no one third party driver that we officially support for our games, so you might have to ask around to find one that will work. 

We do support keyboard play and the Xbox 360 controller, or any USB controller that uses DirectInput or XInput! 

Best of luck -- hope you enjoy Castle Crashers!

I think the MayFlash driver on Windows is just for force feedback support. The controller registers as a standard USB HID when plugged into my Mac - I'm able to use it with other games without any problems.

Also, I don't think Mac OS has DirectInput or XInput, those are Windows APIs. The Mac OS equivalent is the HID Manager. I think OS X 10.9 has some new game controller library as well, but like I said - Mac OS uses HID, not DirectInput or XInput.