Mr. Hatty

Do You Consider Gaming A Sport?

League of Legends and Football one in the same?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Are eSports really sports?

sport

spôrt/
noun
plural noun: sports
  1. 1
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    "team sports such as baseball and soccer"
    synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise, athletics
    "we did a lot of sports"
    •  

•  

2. 2
    informal
    a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation.
    "go on, be a sport!"

Well, Roy-G-Biv already said that dictionary apparently means nothing, but I really had to show you this. (Source: Google)

A sport is a competition. But not just any competition, one that's physical. Chess isn't a sport, it's a game. Golf is a sport. Not everyone can hit a golf ball that far. It is a physical game.

FNAF is not a sport. Me and my friends may do challenges and tournaments, but we don't consider it a "sport."

Not saying eSports is a stupid idea, though. It's a great idea for gamers to be considered "athletes." But, it's not considered a sport.

Edited by U-Knighted

I believe certain games that are really crucial to timing/moving your hands fast enough to beat your opponent an eSport. Like smash and street fighter. I wouldn't say whatever game they were playing exactly an eSport due to them not having to really move their hands as quickly, there is a strategy component however. 

TL;DR 

Basically what most people said, LoL or Dota isn't really an eSport.

The only reason I consider competitive gaming (Smash, Dota, LoL, Street Fighter) is because archery is an Olympic sport. I used to do archery every month, you don't need to be strong to pull the string back and you can pull it slower than Brawl (OH SNAP).

Also, shooting is a sport. What the hell.

• Upvote 1

The only reason I consider competitive gaming (Smash, Dota, LoL, Street Fighter) is because archery is an Olympic sport. I used to do archery every month, you don't need to be strong to pull the string back and you can pull it slower than Brawl (OH SNAP).

Also, shooting is a sport. What the hell.

Also a sport people forget is Poker! Sure you have to keep your face still but there's not much physical activity!

• Upvote 1

I think the big problem is that what most people see as sports is very physical.

But things like chess can become sports which aren't physical, but more knowledge based.

eSports is some mix between the two, and its not sitting well for some people. Honestly though I think people who complain that eSports aren't a real sport would also complain that chess isn't a real sport as well.

Thought it was an interesting point of view. He points out some of the arguments that were made on this forum. Half way through he does go off topic but does get back on topic like 50 seconds later.

I think they count as sport. I mean they involve the same competitiveness as sport and who says sports has to be on a grass field. Then again, I think eating cereal is sport so not the best source