I can't play Mother 3

Sega Fires 300 Employees And Changes Focus To Pc And Mobile

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will this be a huge failure?

• lol yes
    • I dunno
    • "Oh No"

http://www.gameinformer.com/themes/blogs/generic/post.aspx?WeblogApp=news&y=2015&m=01&d=30&WeblogPostName=sega-to-cut-jobs-as-it-restructures-to-put-more-attention-on-pc-and-mobile&GroupKeys=

After reading this I'm now quite curious on where they're going with their current actions, I mean, putting 300 employees into a forced retirement, Moving their company's location from San Francisco to a more southern location in California, and then changing their focus from console games to PC and Mobile? So I wanted to know what you guys think about Sega's decision to "restructure" their business.

Sega owns Atlus. Atlus makes Persona. This better not interfere with Persona 5...

...or else I'll have to 'meet' with Sega  8-)

I don't care what Sega does as long as they bring at least one Sonic game to Xbox One. The main reason I got Xbox One was because there has to be a Sonic game releasing on that system eventually. If Sonic is going to become a PC and smartphone only series, I am going to be very upset.

I don't care what Sega does as long as they bring at least one Sonic game to Xbox One. The main reason I got Xbox One was because there has to be a Sonic game releasing on that system eventually. If Sonic is going to become a PC and smartphone only series, I am going to be very upset.

Well, they said they're shifting their focus from console games to PC and Mobile games, so there's a high chance Sonic will be PC/Mobile only for a long time.

From what I've heard this is just Sega of America, not Japan or any other places. If that's the case then I don't think this will be too bad.

*joke about sonic boom goes here*

• Upvote 1

Ever heard of Rareware and the Banjo-Kazooie series? You may want to prepare to be let down...

• Upvote 1

I rarely support the 'going mobile' initiative in developers that has started trending in recent years, but this is quite a special case. Sega has proven time and time again that in the console market they can't sell a thing that doesn't have Sonic slapped on it and the things that would sell they'll never localize (Shenmue/Phantasy Star whyyyy)

Whereas on the flipside, Sega has grown quite a bit through recent mobile ventures and by porting their games to PC, I mean really, since becoming an active contributor to Steam Sega has seen quite the boost in sales (Please add the Sega published Platinum games to Steam, hombres).

Anyway yeah, the way I see it we'll keep getting Sonic on everything under the sun, and we'll keep getting PC ports of classic titles with the occasional experiment, and then Sega Sammy will keep themselves from going under with mobile titles. Sounds alright by me.

And it's fair to assume this decision will not affect Atlus in the slightest, so that's also a plus.... In general I'd say this may be a smart move for them, my condolences to those losing their jobs though.

While we're talking about Sega though, can they fix how screwed up the relations between their departments are? Sega of Japan basically does whatever it wants while Sega of Europe feeds off the leftovers and Sega of America watches from the otherside of a window... It's kinda messed up.

• Upvote 2

Sega of America always f*** everything. Streets of Rage 3 for Genesis was awful because it was censored (The Japanese is the full and real version a.k.a. Bare Knuckle 3), Streets of Rage 4 for example wasn't developed for Dreamcast because a guy didn't know it was a big hit for Sega in the past. Because of Sega Toejam & Earl 3 turnt into a Donkey Kong 64 clone basicly (that's what people say, I didn't play it 'cause I don't have an Xbox classic). Vectorman for PS2 was also cancelled because of them, for unknow reasons. Sega of America was also the reason they spent money with 32X, right? Look the mess they did!

The only things that they really did right was the aggressive marketing versus nintendo in the past and if I remember they were the guys behind Sonic 2 (Sonic CD was being developed at the same time by the same Sonic 1 team from Japan).