Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Monster Hunter General

monster-hunter-logo-.jpg

We didn't have a Monster Hunter thread and there's only 2 days left until the release of MH4:Ultimate in the west, so I made a Monster Hunter thread. I did search for older Monster Hunter threads but they were all about MHTri for the Wii. Instead this thread is all about discussing the Monster Hunter series in general.

So, uhh, is anybody here thinking of picking up MH4:Ultimate on Friday? Maybe you played the demo and want to share your thoughts (which you totally should do if you haven't already because the demo is free and has online multiplayer) about it? Or, if you are already getting the game, what are you most excited for/looking forward to in MH4?

HUNTER LIST:

Chris - 3DS: 0946-2724-5736

daikonboy101 - 3DS: 1220-7285-8257

Edited by Chris

HHHHHHHNNNNNNGGGGG! I want it so MH4U bad, but I don't have a circle pad pro, and without it Monster Hunter is a giant, near unplayable mess. Well, not really but it feels terrible. Ugh...

I was even thinking of buying the MH4U New 3DS XL, for nearly no reason.

HHHHHHHNNNNNNGGGGG! I want it so MH4U bad, but I don't have a circle pad pro, and without it Monster Hunter is a giant, near unplayable mess. Well, not really but it feels terrible. Ugh...

I've played a good chunk of the MH4U beta and Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate without the circle pad pro and I haven't had any difficulties. Just spam that lock on and you're fine.

I've played a good chunk of the MH4U beta and Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate without the circle pad pro and I haven't had any difficulties. Just spam that lock on and you're fine.

I wouldn't call it an unplayable mess without one, but I definitely prefer having an analogue stick for camera control. I can think of much worse alternatives to an analogue than the lock-on mechanic and virtual d-pad though.

For me having to use the lock-on/v-d-pad all the time is a slightly irritating, but not enough to make me stop playing the game.  :-)

Monster Hunter is best hunter.  I got the CE pre-ordered for pickup Friday, but probably won't be playing it until I get my beautiful Majora's Mask Limited Edition n3DSXL, so I can have the advantage of extra buttons and actual camera control.

Monster Hunter is best hunter.  I got the CE pre-ordered for pickup Friday, but probably won't be playing it until I get my beautiful Majora's Mask Limited Edition n3DSXL, so I can have the advantage of extra buttons and actual camera control.

I'm jealous because we didn't get the collectors edition over here in the EU...which sucks because the CE contains a lot of swag for just $60 and I probably would have bought it.

Nevermind. Also I'm holding out hope that my copy arrives a day early in the mail today. GAME have a bad habit of shipping pre-orders early so I'm hoping I get lucky.

EDIT

Mail just arrived. No Monster Hunter today. :c

Edited by Chris

I bought a digital version of MH3U using my Wii U's Digital Deluxe Program points, played it for maybe 2 minutes and stopped for whatever reason.

I'd really like to get into these games but I hear it's such a timesink and I already have enough games to finish (plus Rocksmith and Hyrule Warriors taking up all of my gaming time).

If I ever get an external hard drive for my Wii U I'll redownload it and give it another shot

I bought a digital version of MH3U using my Wii U's Digital Deluxe Program points, played it for maybe 2 minutes and stopped for whatever reason.

I'd really like to get into these games but I hear it's such a timesink and I already have enough games to finish (plus Rocksmith and Hyrule Warriors taking up all of my gaming time).

If I ever get an external hard drive for my Wii U I'll redownload it and give it another shot

The problem is that they're just hard for new players to get into.

I'm sure if maybe I played my copy of MH3U for a little bit longer, I'd get into it.

I just need a motivation lol

The problem is that they're just hard for new players to get into.

I'm sure if maybe I played my copy of MH3U for a little bit longer, I'd get into it.

I just need a motivation lol

I definitely agree. Before MH3U the only MH game I'd played was MHFreedom2 on my brother's PSP...and I never got very far.

When MH3U came out I pretty much threw myself in at the deep-end and started playing the game as much as possible to see how much I could learn on my own...which in the end wasn't a lot, but the game kept me interested anyway. Internet forums and the MH Wiki did the rest of the work, but I kind of wished I'd had someone more experienced to walk me through the first few hunter ranks instead of having to rely on other people's GameFAQs topics.

Which is where ProJared's useful videos come in (which I wish I had found much sooner than I did):

Apparently MH4U does a better job at explaining the game for newbies, but I won't know until I've tried it out for myself (just 12 hours to go...hopefully!). 

So this game has been out for almost a week now and this thread hasn't seen even one reply...so I'm bumping it up because I wanna' talk about this game even if there's nobody else to talk about it to/with.

I want to start out by saying that this is the best Monster Hunter game I've played to date. There's so much content packed into one game I don't think I'll ever get to see everything it has to offer. I won't go into massive detail about every new update/addition that I like (because there are reviewers out there who do it much better than I), but I am going to give this game my recommendation. This game does a brilliant job of lowering the MH difficulty bar for newer players whilst also providing veteran players with a fresh, challenging experience. If you were ever thinking of getting into Monster Hunter, now is the perfect time to do it.

My only complaint so far would be that finding a random hunting party online for any quest past 3* can be tough. It's not for lack of players though, in fact the abundance of newer players is part of the issue; there are so many newbies it's tough to find hunters that won't fail some of the quests, especially when there are players just trying to boost their way up the ranks. I had one Bow user join a game earlier who wanted to take on the 2x Khezu quest wearing Leather Armor using a Hunters Bow III.
Although I do find that helping out new players who actually want to play the game properly is kinda' fun.   :-)

Also the free starter pack (including Mario/Luigi Palico outfits) you can download right now is a nice bonus:

6dd1fc3d649e906de1835a8e52b7b460.jpg?v=2

I don't know much about Monster Hunter, but it's apparently huge. I might get into it once I can put down Project M and Smash 4.

This game is awesome. Would love to turn this into a little Behemoth clan.

It would be cool if a bunch of us could get together and hunt sometime. I'm gonna' go ahead and stick my 3DS FC in the original post if people want to add me. If other people want me to, I can add their FCs as well so people know who's available to play.

So, I love this game. I totally over exaggerated how bad the controls were, I remembered them way worse than they actually are.

Also, I'm terrible at MH, and my Hunter Rank is still only 1, but if anybody wants to hunt with me, my FC is 1220 - 7285 - 8257.

Edited by daikonboy101
  • Upvote 1

I love this game and even though I have played 30 hours of this I'm still only hunter rank 3 and not that far in the story. I have only just discovered that you can alter the appearance of the armour that you are wearing. I also keep getting distracted by the amount of different upgrade trees there are for each weapon.

However 1 problem that I have about the game and I know it's meant to teach you about gathering and how it's important to the game and upgrading your stuff but the gathering quests are annoying. Why do I need to catch 8 small goldfish for half an hour while a Tetsucabra is consistently trying to kill you to improve the street cook? Is he only going to serve 8 people who want goldfish? 

Edited by Abz2141
  • Upvote 1

Why do I need to catch 8 small goldfish for half an hour while a Tetsucabra is consistently trying to kill you to improve the street cook? Is he only going to serve 8 people who want goldfish? 

This quote is my new argument against gathering quests, 10/10.

Seriously though, I don't mind gathering quests. Instead of leaving them until the end of a rank/story section or trying to get them out of the way first, I use them to break up the longer hunts. They make a nice break. Also if monsters get in your way while you're trying to complete them, you can always just hunt them or throw dung bombs at them.

Screw the 3x Powderstone delivery quest w/ the Gravios & Iodrome though.  :oops:

Double posting because we finally have DLC info. for MH4U!

But first, how is everyone progressing through MH4 so far? Since I reached HR4 I've been grinding my way through the single-player story mode to try and craft some better armour, since the Basarios set I was using gives as much protection as a paper shield at high-rank.

Lucky for me, the first batch of MH4U DLC is here, complete with Link's armour from LoZ (providing you've reached high-rank in order to craft it)!

I sadly haven't played in awhile, but I'm going to try and get back into it soon. I left off needing to get HR3 and I just defeated the Gore in single player.

Little bump but I'm gonna post a bit and we need activity!

First off, learn about your sleep bombs!

Next, what have you guys been doing in Monster Hunter recently? Personally I've been mastering the Hunting Horn, and have finished my Kecha Mecha set. I really need to play the game more as I'm only HR4, but I plan to play a lot during this march break. No idea what set I'll decide to make next, but I don't imagine this Kecha set will last me very long. Still looks cool though!

Edited by Scaler193

Next, what have you guys been doing in Monster Hunter recently? Personally I've been mastering the Hunting Horn, and have finished my Kecha Mecha set. I really need to play the game more as I'm only HR4, but I plan to play a lot during this march break. No idea what set I'll decide to make next, but I don't imagine this Kecha set will last me very long. Still looks cool though!

I love that guy's animations. To be honest I hadn't heard of sleep bombing until that video.  :-P

And since I reached HR5 the other day I've been burning through the 5* Gathering Hall quests. I finished off the remaining 3* and 4* quests as well. Now I'm about 3 pages through the 5* quests, I'm taking a short break to try and get the hang of using the Great Sword. It seems like a very hit & run kinda' weapon, but the super-high damage seems worth it. I'll probably have some time to play this week, so if anyone wants to play just send me a PM or look out for me on Skype.  :-)

I liked the video, I saw the one for mounting but didn't realise he did more of them. 

And I'm just grinding through story with high rank armour because I have no Zennies, still using a Long Sword/Sword and Shield. I'm also trying to get to grips with the Insect Glaive.     

MY GOD, I HAVE SPENT THE LAST DAY TRYING TO GET A GUILD QUEST FOR THE RUBY BASARIOS AND IT'S JUST NOT HAPPENING.

*ahem*

Anybody here got a Ruby Basarios Guild Quest they wouldn't mind sending my way? I've run countless expeditions trying to unlock one, but I just can't seem to get it.  :-(

EDIT

Yisssss. Got one first time out after posting this. I guess complaining does help. If anyone wants a Ruby Basarios Guild Quest without having to grind for it, let me know and I'll send it over.  :-)

Edited by Chris

How do you unlock quests? I've heard people talking about this stuff before but its always gone right over my head.

Basically, you run Expeditions from the World Map to unlock Guild Quests, which feature the monsters you hunt on Expeditions. Some monsters (like the Basarios/Ruby Basarios) only appear occasionally on Expeditions, so farming them for gear is tough. Unlocking a Guild Quest for that monster makes farming it easier, as they're essentially the same as regular hunting quests in which only that monster spawns (plus you can play them online to make life easier). After you've unlocked a Guild Quest, you have to register it to your Guild Quest List by going to the Start Menu > Guild Quests. You can also level up Guild Quests which will unlock Treasure Areas and give you better rusted gear from gathering points.

More info. on Guild Quests here:-)

Edited by Chris

Double post because April's DLC pack is here!

Palico not fast enough? It's time for SONIC SPEED:

630x.jpg

But seriously, I need to hurry up and reach HR7 so I can finish off the rest of the March DLC quests before I move onto the April bunch. So much awesome stuff to craft, so little time!!

• Upvote 1