Sign in to follow this  
Jamma003

A Nintendo Ds With Broken Rng?

Hello there guys,

Im gonna cut straight to the point. I think my brothers Nintendo DS Lite is cursed with some sort of luck hex or something. Definitely witchcraft ;)

Most games use RNG (random number generation) to determine random events. For example, the odds of a Barbarian dropping his weapon in Castle Crashers is (probably) based on RNG. The game picks a number between 1 and 100 and if it chooses 42, the sword is dropped.*

Any game played in my brothers DS seems to have an IMMENSE amount of luck in its RNG decisions. Heres a few examples (all legit, no cheating or hacking here):

Pokemon Platinum:

In the last year alone, my bro has found 4 Shiny pokemon and 2 seperate strands of Pokerus. The odds for a single random shiny are 1 in about 7000. The odds for Pokerus are MUCH higher. He doesnt play the game excessively, and doesnt use any method to find these things.

Animal Crossing Wild World:

This is just unreal. I spent about a year catching the rarest fish (a coelacanth) when i was a kid. About a week ago I gave the game to him. Within one week, he has got a coelacanth, 3 golden dorado, and endless amounts more. Also, random events such as Money Rocks, presents in the sky/trees, Crowns in shops etc. are unbelievably common now.

New Super Mario Bros DS:

Pretty self explanatory. In the game there are several Green Mushroom levels. You pick random boxes and keep what you find. If you get Bowser, it ends the challenge. My bro ALWAYS gets 5 mushrooms in the first 5 boxes, then a Triple Mushroom, then a Double Score (which doubles your mushroom count). The highest score possible. Every time.

Have you ever seen this, or a similar story before? Can you explain it? Tell the world your stories here!

J

*These are NOT real values, just an example of how it works.

Maybe he is just VERY lucky?

Nope. I have tested my games in his DS and his games in mine... its not him. Its the DS.

I think I read a Creepypasta that started kinda like this once. *trembles in fear*

In regards to the money rocks in Wild World, those are a daily occurrence. You are guaranteed exactly 1 money rock every day, so he's probably just looking for it as part of his daily routine. The fish are guaranteed to appear during certain times of day and during specific times of the year (for example, coelacanths only appear during the winter). If he uses the time-travel cheat and plays the game a lot, he's bound to find a lot of rare fish.

In Platinum version, it's possible to chain for shinys using the Poke Radar. You just use the Poke Radar to make Pokemon spawn in the grass, then defeat each Pokemon you encounter with it until the shaking grass emits sparkles (which indicates the presence of a shiny Pokemon). Your brother might just be really good at hunting for shinys using that. I assume you know that Pokerus spreads among your Pokemon, but as for finding entirely new cases of it, he might just be totally lucky.

As for NSMB, I don't remember much about the green mushroom houses. I imagine there is some strategy to finding that combination every time though.

In each of these cases, your brother is bound to gain more rewards if he puts more time into those games and gives himself more chances to acquire those rewards. It's like buying 100 tickets for the lottery as opposed to one. He's probably using some hidden method to give him better chances with those, like the Poke Radar and the time-travel cheat in Wild World, but it's perfectly possible he earned those rewards through pure persistence. (He might be using an Action Replay too... I dunno where he'd get that but it's something to consider.)

• Upvote 1

In regards to the money rocks in Wild World, those are a daily occurrence. You are guaranteed exactly 1 money rock every day, so he's probably just looking for it as part of his daily routine. The fish are guaranteed to appear during certain times of day and during specific times of the year (for example, coelacanths only appear during the winter). If he uses the time-travel cheat and plays the game a lot, he's bound to find a lot of rare fish.

In Platinum version, it's possible to chain for shinys using the Poke Radar. You just use the Poke Radar to make Pokemon spawn in the grass, then defeat each Pokemon you encounter with it until the shaking grass emits sparkles (which indicates the presence of a shiny Pokemon). Your brother might just be really good at hunting for shinys using that. I assume you know that Pokerus spreads among your Pokemon, but as for finding entirely new cases of it, he might just be totally lucky.

As for NSMB, I don't remember much about the green mushroom houses. I imagine there is some strategy to finding that combination every time though.

In each of these cases, your brother is bound to gain more rewards if he puts more time into those games and gives himself more chances to acquire those rewards. It's like buying 100 tickets for the lottery as opposed to one. He's probably using some hidden method to give him better chances with those, like the Poke Radar and the time-travel cheat in Wild World, but it's perfectly possible he earned those rewards through pure persistence. (He might be using an Action Replay too... I dunno where he'd get that but it's something to consider.)

Sorry, I dont think I elaborated enough. Let me retry that...

In Pokemon Platinum, I know that the Poke radar can increase the odds of finding them. I can confirm that he not only doesnt know how to do it, but doesnt actually have the Radar anyway (lol what a noob :) ). These pokemons were found completely by chance while walking from route to route. For example, Pudge the Quagsire was obtained while west of the marsh town. I was there at the time, so I know that no chaining took place. It was entirely random. the Pokerus was definitely in two branches. A pokemon can only catch it once, unless you have two strains of it which means it can get it twice. The Poke-Centre lady has commented on it twice, meaning he has found 2 strains of it.

In NSMB there is no strategy at all to the Mushroom Houses. The boxes are fully randomised. I have had a go at it and can say that even hitting boxes at random yields the max score.

In ACWW however, I know he TTs for everything, so that may explain the phenomena for that. I know the money rocks appear daily, but as opposed to getting 7 or 8000 bells out of it like normal, he gets between 20 and 30000.

He has no Action Replay, but has used one before.

Also, this doesnt happen if the games are played in another DS. Only his. If I put my games in his DS, they then suddenly become luck-infested.

Hope that explained it a bit better for you!

Edited by Jamma003

In Animal Crossing, you can catch those rare fish if you spend enough time in the right situation. A Coelcanth is usually caught in the Winter, or when it's raining. You just have to be a little lucky. I wouldn't say your brother's DS is actually cursed. Can't say I'm not a bit jealous, though.

He probably prays to the RNG Goddess Anna every night.

this

• Upvote 2

Im gonna cut straight to the point. I think my brothers Nintendo DS Lite is cursed with some sort of luck hex or something. Definitely witchcraft ;)

I can say with complete certainty that the DS has nothing to do with it. The hardware doesn't have access to the software in that way.

Just had one of those perfect moments when all the pieces click together! :D

I was on Bulbapedia (the pokemon wiki) and it was explaing RNG. Heres the short, not-nerdy version of it:

The RNG mechanic in any Gen IV game (Diamond,Platinum,Soulsilver etc) is based on the time and date set on the DS, and the time it takes for the user to press Start. A fancy formula takes place, and the end result is a Seed Code. The RNG uses the seed to determine how random it is (just like seeds in Minecraft). Because of this, the RNG is never truly randomised.

However, my bros DS cant keep time. Every time it is turned on, it resets to 12:00, January 1900 . Lets say that he ALWAYS boots the game as fast as possible, and always hits Start as soon as he can. Obviously, he will be out by a few milliseconds sometimes, but he will always get a roughly similar Seed each time. Of all the seeds he might be getting, it would only take one good one to tip the odds in his favour. And if hes lucky enough to hit that seed most of the time...

Im not sure about NSMB, but il bet it works in a very similar way. We already established that AC:WW starts to trip if the DS time and game time de-synchronise. His DS doesnt keep time, so the two dates are technically 100 years apart!!

It all fits! My advice to you... if you want godlike luck in your DS games... break your DS!!!

Seriously though, the main reason I started this was to hear your stories on "OMG HE HAZ HAX" moments. I cant be the only person whose seen something like this, can I?

inb4 DK makes a joke about RNG godess Anna-

He probably prays to the RNG Goddess Anna every night.

..too late.

Am I missing an inside joke here?

Have your brother play the Shadow Dragon remake on DS, let's see if his RNG bending powers can see him through that.

Yea Fire Emblem is the ultimate RNG test since that game is hugely based on its RNG..

Finding shinies in pokemon is one thing, but let's see if he's able to hit Focus Blast or Stone Edge. If he is, then his DS is blessed for sure.