Mr. Hatty

E3 2015 Hype & Discussion Thread: Dev Stories And A Room Full Of Videogames

Bethesda announced a lot of cool things:

DOOM - Spring 2016

Elder Scrolls Legends - March 11th 2014

Dishonored 2 - Spring 2016

Fallout 4 - NOVEMBER 10th 2015 if this gets delayed I won't be surprised

I wasn't really hyped for Fallout 4 but once I found out you can make your character into a monster and basically design your own house/town thing I was sold. Dishonored 2 also looks really cool, I remember thinking it would be interesting to be able to play as Emily and now you can and that's neat.

Tomorrow is where E3 really starts though.

• Upvote 2

Just spent the last couple hours catching up on Bethesda's conference from last night (because the Nintendo World Championships dragged on until 2AM) and I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed at what they had to show off:

There's a lot to look forward to from them. I haven't played a Fallout game in years (I totally skipped New Vegas), but they even managed to get me excited for Fallout 4. Wow, just wow. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft can top this with their conference later today. :-)

Edited by Chris

Watched the Xbox E3 presentation. The Recore game looks kinda interesting, and Sea of Thieves has a cool art style to it.

But I'm a little less than excited about the "Rare Collection" that they showed off. I'd rather much have a new Banjo game or something new to a forgotten classic series.

• Upvote 1

Bethesda did not fail to impress, I'm glad to see that Dishonored 2 is announced, and it looked like more work will be put in to it, and much better graphics. What did you guys like from E3?

Bethesda did not fail to impress, I'm glad to see that Dishonored 2 is announced, and it looked like more work will be put in to it, and much better graphics. What did you guys like from E3?

Gotta' say my highlight so far has been Fallout4. The Nintendo World Championships were cheesy, silly fun also.

Microsoft's conference was hit and miss for me. After their conference last year I thought they were starting to get the hang of this, but there were a lot of segments this year that seemed to drag on too long (*cough* boring Gears4 gameplay *cough*). There were also segments I felt should have gotten more time. That Hololens Minecraft gameplay was pretty interesting and I definitely want to see more. I'm not the biggest Minecraft fan these days, but that technology has real potential (*cough* irl YuGiOh holograms plz *cough*). 

• Upvote 1

Microsoft was alright.

Backwards compatibility is cool and so is mods for Fallout 4.

Rare's new game looks interesting and it'll be nice to see how it will turn out.

EA's conference is still ongoing as I type this but they unveiled a new game called Unraveled, it reminds me of something like Limbo but with yarn. So far that is the best thing they've announced.

Edited by Ultanoka

Guys they just announced The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Shenmue III at Sony's conference.

Not a Sony fan but this was the best conference of the last decade

EDIT:

7fbbe1dd5d.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hatty
  • Upvote 2

I'll be interested to see what they do with Final Fantasy VII's battle system and world map and such. I'd imagine there's probably going to be something similar to XIII for battles, but I have no clue what they plan on doing for world navigation. I'm also curious as to how much they're going to alter the story for it to work as a modern game. 

Guys they just announced The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Shenmue III at Sony's conference.

EDIT:

7fbbe1dd5d.jpg

Oh my, Sony acually didn't dissapoint!

THANK FOR THE MEMES, MEME MAN!

Let's not jump right to conclusions, gentlemen. We still have one of the big three contenders left tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Let's not jump right to conclusions, gentlemen. We still have one of the big three contenders left tomorrow.

Nintendo would have to unveil a Mother 3 localization, announce Mother 4, release a full new F-Zero game available for download right after the conference, confirm face-rubbing and sex dungeons for US Fire Emblem If, and open an online amiibo store with infinite stock in order to win E3 at this point

• Upvote 1

Nintendo would have to unveil a Mother 3 localization, announce Mother 4, release a full new F-Zero game available for download right after the conference, confirm face-rubbing and sex dungeons for US Fire Emblem If, and open an online amiibo store with infinite stock in order to win E3 at this point

I think we both know that's a little too much from Nintendo.

I could be confident agreeing with bringing Mother 3 to virtual console, but Itoi himself said he'd rather play the fanmade Mother 4 than develop it himself.

As for F-Zero, it's pretty much dead at this point. Two Mario Kart 8 tracks from the F-Zero series, a Captain Falcon Mii suit, etc.

For IF, I think it's safe to assume they aren't going to do that. Maybe the face rubbing if people are really attached to it from the Japanese release, but it's safe to say that NoA's censorship will interfere, like with Bravely Default's localization, etc.

Plus we both know that infinite stock is not realistic, but maybe monthly restocking or something like that for an amiibo online service would be pretty cool.

Personally I just want a release date for Super Mario Maker and maybe an eshop demo. Maybe progression of the Smash Ballot.

I think we both know that's a little too much from Nintendo.

I could be confident agreeing with bringing Mother 3 to virtual console, but Itoi himself said he'd rather play the fanmade Mother 4 than develop it himself.

As for F-Zero, it's pretty much dead at this point. Two Mario Kart 8 tracks from the F-Zero series, a Captain Falcon Mii suit, etc.

For IF, I think it's safe to assume they aren't going to do that. Maybe the face rubbing if people are really attached to it from the Japanese release, but it's safe to say that NoA's censorship will interfere, like with Bravely Default's localization, etc.

Plus we both know that infinite stock is not realistic, but maybe monthly restocking or something like that for an amiibo online service would be pretty cool.

Personally I just want a release date for Super Mario Maker and maybe an eshop demo. Maybe progression of the Smash Ballot.

I was mostly joking with those, although I do feel confident Mother 3 will be released on VC worldwide eventually and I think, considering Nintendo's response to the recent cry for Mother attention, an official Mother 4 at some point in time is not outside the realm of possibilities

Anyways I think that if Nintendo was to mimic their presentation last year, they would not be able to pull a "win" for this E3. They showed a lot last year and they have to lot to prove this year, even after new Smash characters and Earthbound Beginnings. I've already made my wild predictions but I expect lots of attention for the Wii U with Star Fox, Yoshi's Woolly World, and SMTxFE. Sony really raised the bar though, so Nintendo is gonna need some kind of huge surprise if they wanna keep up. Considering they have a full 90 minutes allotted, they might be doing something big.

Potentially spoilery spoiler:

There's a fishy Nintendo XDS video floating around which I'm not buying into right now, but announcing new hardware would certainly get the hype flowing. Other than the quality of this video, the only reason I would find this somewhat convincing is that I don't see why someone would put so much effort into a leak of this quality so close to the Digital Event. I'm remaining skeptical for now though.

There's also been some rumors floating around about HL3 and a Chrono Trigger remake being revealed tomorrow. Honestly I'm in the crowd that wouldn't care if HL3 ever did come out, but if these rumors are true then this would be an absolutely insane E3.

Not-so-spoilery spoiler:

EDIT:

7fbbe1dd5d.jpg

Dd8JODs.png

• Upvote 1

So the Nintendo Direct for E3 was a little disappointing. No Mother 3 VC or F-Zero.

We did find out that you can use amiibo to unlock more characters for Super Mario Maker, and that an 8-bit Mario amiibo will let you use a Mega Mushroom (and give Goombas mustaches I guess? idk)

Some more gameplay for the Star Fox game (now named Star Fox Zero) and it looks like it's going to be a fusion of 64 and Assault. I really like where it's going.

And possibly the biggest news there was the fact that Blast Ball was not actually an indie game like we thought it would be, but a minigame for a brand new Metroid game with 4-player support. I think it's awesome that Metroid is getting some love again, I really wanna try it out.

Turns out

Grant's supposed XDS reveal got turned down, and it's kind of a shame. Would have loved to see that in action, but they promised next year we'll get some info on the new NX project.

We also got more footage of FE if (now named Fire Emblem Fates) and it looks pretty rad.

On top of this, we got a new Zelda game inspired by A Link Between Worlds and Four Swords Adventures, named Triforce Heroes. It looks really fun and it has a focus on co-op, rather than Four Sword's competitive aspects.

And finally, biggest news of all...

Mario Maker is coming out September 11th.

No I'm not making that up.

Never forget.

• Upvote 1

The new Mario & Luigi looks cool I guess...

Everything else was either old or a bit disappointing.

Also when the Wii U Animal Crossing game popped up I freaked out, literally my one wish for this E3 was Animal Crossing U but they looked at me in the eyes and spat in my mouth. I'll be getting the game regardless but that was still a huge disappointment.

Triforce Heroes is cool but I have no friends so I don't think I'll be buying it.

Edited by Ultanoka
  • Upvote 2

And finally, biggest news of all...

Mario Maker is coming out September 11th.

No I'm not making that up.

Never forget.

b5pukp.jpg

A lot of people are saying Nintendo was terrible this year and that kinda upsets me. Was their Digital Event bad compared to last year? Definitely, but they had an incredible year last year with Smash hype and new IPs all over the place. This year, they took too much time talking about Mario's 30th anniversary to really get everyone excited about the other great things they've got coming out. Zane made a comment that this probably would've been an amazing Nintendo Direct and I totally agree, but Sony raised the bar extremely high and a lot of people expected too much of Nintendo at E3.

I still think Nintendo's presence at E3 has been pretty decent, though; we can't forget that they made some huge announcements really early on and that they already promised us Zelda U and the NX wouldn't be showing up at E3 this year. Considering that we got:

-3 new smash characters

-Mother 1 finally released on VC

-a new Paper Mario game (mixed with Mario & Luigi)

-a new Metroid game at all, even if it's just a spin-off

-gameplay of Starfox Zero, which looks amazing

-new amiibos

that's still some exciting news IMO. There are some fantastic games coming out in the next year; Zelda for Wii U is absolutely something to get excited about, Fire Emblem Fates looks incredible and I can't wait to pick that up later this month, SMT x FE looks amazing, I'm still in disbelief that we're getting a new Starfox game, Xenoblade Chronicles X looks cool, Mario & Luigi Paper Jam blew me away, and the new Zelda games for 3DS are sure to be exciting new for a lot of people. Their Digital Event was not a great way to get everyone excited about these games, but that's what the Treehouse is for. (And honestly if you're whining about the new Metroid game then just screw off, we know absolutely nothing about it yet and things could be very much worse for the Metroid series after Other M)

Out of the big 3, I'd say Sony takes the win by a landslide while Microsoft is only slightly better than Nintendo. For the third party conferences, I think Square Enix's conference has been the most impressive while Bethesda's was pretty good. Ubisoft and EA were both garbage but garbage is exactly what I expected them to be, so whatever. I'm looking forward to the PC Gaming conference later this evening and I'll be tuning in to Treehouse for sure to check out Starfox Zero, Fire Emblem Fates and the new Metroid.

EDIT: Looks like Iwata knows that people are disappointed in the Digital Event

1434482752512.png

Again I can understand people being disappointed in the Digital Event, but saying it has been an awful E3 for Nintendo after some of the great things they've shown and the NWC is just not fair

They announced two new Wii U games, Mario Tennis and an Animal Crossing spin-off game that, let's face it, is nothing more than a blatant attempt to sell more amiibo.

You're right in saying it's unfair to say that they're having "an awful E3," because really they have a pretty good showing this year. HOWEVER, I personally find it 100% accurate to specifically call out the digital event as lackluster. Nintendo has an amazing line-up, but it's hard to call the NDE good when it consisted almost entirely of games we've known about since before last E3.

Their main issue was execution. Retro didn't show anything new, personally I take this as an indicator that they are working on something, what I can only assume is a new Metroid, for the NX launch, and Next Level's Galactic Federation game is just a spin-off to bridge the gap. Had Nintendo straight up said "We're excited for a big new console Metroid to be announced soon, but until then please take a look" in a similar manner as they did back when they announced Wind Waker HD, I don't think anyone would've been angry. At worst, people would dismiss the game and look forward to proper Metroid, but without that clarification (again, on the assumption that Retro is hopefully making Prime 4) the game is the first and only sign of a new Metroid in 5 years, and it looks bad. When I say it looks bad, that isn't me being salty about non-traditional Metroid, I mean the art style is generic and off-putting, the mission structure seems largely uninteresting, and in general the gameplay isn't what a fan of the Metroid series would look for. I am not opposed to this game conceptually, but from what I have seen the execution is shoddy.

This all is doubly disappointing because this game is from Next Level Games. Little Mac as a character is more popular than ever, many, including myself thought that they would be working on a brand new Punch-Out!! for Wii U to capitalize, or if not that, they just made Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. While I personally vastly prefer the original, the game was very well received and a follow-up would've been very welcome in the Wii U's library. From these two games we can tell that NLG is a talented studio that can make good looking games. Metroid Prime: Galactic Federation does not live up to their pedigree, at the very least not artistically.

Had Nintendo delayed the announcement of Earthbound Beginnings to be in their Digital Event, they would've had much less of a lukewarm reception. That would've been a great note to end the conference on. Instead, they ended on Super Mario Maker, which is an amazing looking title, however we've seen it since last E3, and we just saw it presented in a way that no E3 conference could ever accomplish via the NWC. 

In conclusion: Nintendo's Line-up was B- at WORST, they have a lot of great titles on the way

Nintendo's presentation was a C at BEST, they announced next to nothing new, and the games they did announce consisted primarily of spin-offs to beloved franchises that managed to piss off fans who wanted direct sequels.

I hope to God that the explanation here is that all of Nintendo's core teams are working on NX launch titles, amiibo Festival isn't being made by EAD so perhaps they're working on a real Animal Crossing, Retro was a no-show so maybe they have a true Metroid on the way. No new Mario Kart DLC was announced so maybe they're already hard at work on the next entry. All Nintendo's conference has bestowed upon me this year is a head full of wishful thinking that the only reason they're showing is so weak is because they're hard at work attempting to ensure the NX doesn't fall to the same fate as the Wii U did. That, and a really awesome looking new Mario RPG, hopefully it isn't like either of the last games in the Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario series, but colour me cautiously optimistic for now

EDIT: I also think it's worth clarifying, the Event would've been exponentially better if roughly 50% of it didn't consist of developer interviews. Those extra tidbits are great for the Treehouse Live stream, not so much for the digital event. An example would be mentioning the Japanese archway influence of Starfox in the Treehouse stream and saying that Platinum games was co-developing Star Fox during the event, but instead they did it the other way around. Real issue in prioritizing what information fans want to hear. Messaging is a big issue for Nintendo

Edited by Mr. Hatty