Mr. Hatty

E3 2015 Hype & Discussion Thread: Dev Stories And A Room Full Of Videogames

I stayed up all night for Nintendo and Square-Enix's conferences. I was pretty disappointed. Like Mr. Hatty said, almost everything at Nintendo's conference had been shown several times before between last E3 and today. I get that Mario is their big seller, but I don't need ~45 minutes to show Super Mario Maker when they've shown it several times before. Fire Emblem only received a single minute of English, but Star Fox was interesting. Nothing Smash related, though I didn't think they would anyway. As for Square, their big unveil was FFVIIHD, which was shown at Sony's conference for whatever reason, making their conference pretty lackluster as well minus the quick KH3 video.

Edited by Revon

I stayed up all night for Nintendo and Square-Enix's conferences. I was pretty disappointed. Like Mr. Hatty said, almost everything at Nintendo's conference had been shown several times before between last E3 and today. I get that Mario is their big seller, but I don't need ~45 minutes to show Super Mario Maker when they've shown it several times before. Fire Emblem only received a single minute of English, but Star Fox was interesting. Nothing Smash related, though I didn't think they would anyway. As for Square, their big unveil was FFVIIHD, which was shown at Sony's conference for whatever reason, making their conference pretty lackluster as well minus the quick KH3 video.

A sequel to NieR developed by Platinum Games is a pretty big deal, but yeah, most of the games they showed had already been announced 

Their main issue was execution. Retro didn't show anything new, personally I take this as an indicator that they are working on something, what I can only assume is a new Metroid, for the NX launch, and Next Level's Galactic Federation game is just a spin-off to bridge the gap. Had Nintendo straight up said "We're excited for a big new console Metroid to be announced soon, but until then please take a look" in a similar manner as they did back when they announced Wind Waker HD, I don't think anyone would've been angry. At worst, people would dismiss the game and look forward to proper Metroid, but without that clarification (again, on the assumption that Retro is hopefully making Prime 4) the game is the first and only sign of a new Metroid in 5 years, and it looks bad. When I say it looks bad, that isn't me being salty about non-traditional Metroid, I mean the art style is generic and off-putting, the mission structure seems largely uninteresting, and in general the gameplay isn't what a fan of the Metroid series would look for. I am not opposed to this game conceptually, but from what I have seen the execution is shoddy.

This all is doubly disappointing because this game is from Next Level Games. Little Mac as a character is more popular than ever, many, including myself thought that they would be working on a brand new Punch-Out!! for Wii U to capitalize, or if not that, they just made Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. While I personally vastly prefer the original, the game was very well received and a follow-up would've been very welcome in the Wii U's library. From these two games we can tell that NLG is a talented studio that can make good looking games. Metroid Prime: Galactic Federation does not live up to their pedigree, at the very least not artistically.

My theory on Metroid Prime: Federation Force is that it didn't start off as a Metroid game at all. There are lots of similar shooter games on the 3DS and some are really popular in Japan, so I feel like Nintendo decided to make one themselves and then at some point in development someone said "hey, people really want a new Metroid game, why don't we just call this a Metroid game and let the fans have some fun with it until we unveil the next main Metroid title?" I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to do that, maybe their original concept didn't work out like they planned, but I get a strong feeling it was made into a Metroid title as an afterthought and that's why it looks so lackluster as one.

Honestly the gameplay looks pretty fun, I was watching them play it on the Treehouse stream and it looked like something I'd enjoy with some friends (if any of my friends had 3DS's). But as a Metroid game this is a huge disappointment. I'm pretty disgusted at how much people are overreacting about it though, 4chan launched a protest campaign to bombard the trailer video with dislikes and they're compiling a list of trashy insults to send Nintendo instead of the usual "thank you" card they write for them every year. It's just nasty that people are acting like this, especially after Iwata already apologized about it.

It was actually revealed that right before Dark Moon, Next Level Games began work on a new Metroid for 3DS. Of course it was eventually shelved, but I have to wonder if this new game has anything to do with it.

Here's some concept art that got out:

aVLMAja.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hatty

I have no idea what that Jpop mess of a game keeps calling itself SMT x FE is. Whatever it is, it makes my stomach hurt.

• Upvote 2

I have no idea what that Jpop mess of a game keeps calling itself SMT x FE is. Whatever it is, it makes my stomach hurt.

This. I saw it and I was like "Is this a weeaboo fanservice?"

Bouncing boobs where there shouldn't be, tight nonsensical and stereotyped clothes, school settings, concerts, cheesy japanese music...

• Upvote 1

1434482752512.png

"We take opinions of this year's Digital Event seriously and will work to better meet your expectations."

maxresdefault.jpg

it's that simple

Was Earthbound Beginnings not good enough?

We don't talk about SMTxFE... Or whatever it really is.

ngl I actually really like how it looks

So now that the E3 conferences are over, let's share our thoughts. Post your grades for each conference, your top 5 games shown at E3 (in no particular order), and your favorite E3 moment this year... or just any of those three you feel like doing

Grades for each conference:

Bethesda - 7/10 [C]

Not a bad first conference. Focused on Doom and Fallout 4 which both look pretty great, announced some neat new titles, showed off a really rad actual Pipboy that works with Fallout 4; didn't show many other games though, some of the exact same Fallout 4 footage was shown elsewhere as well

Microsoft - 6.5/10 [D+]

Started off strong with backwards compatibility added to Xbox One, also showed off the Elite Controller, Rare Replay, Dark Souls 3, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, and of course Game 4, really impressive AR demo that probably won't reflect how the actual Hololens works; other games weren't as interesting, lots of which were shown at other conferences as well, "nice new controller there... although are you sure there are supposed to be that many digits in the price tag?", PC took away Killer Instinct later during the PC Gaming conference, stop bringing your damn expensive cars in here for 30 seconds to advertise Forza

EA - 4/10 [F]

Yuck. Unravel and Star Wars Battlefront had me excited and honestly EA Access sounds pretty great, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 is apparently some good news; literally everything else was boring as heck, they really don't need to talk about their yearly sports games at E3, the CEO of EA is the bad guy in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Pelé how much did they pay-lé you to show up to this thing

Ubisoft - 2.5/10 [F-]

Somehow got me to hate them more than EA. Started off with South Park, which is honestly the best game they showed (and if your best game at E3 is a licensed game, there might be a problem), Trackmania Turbo at least had me looking at the screen for a few seconds; everything else was abysmal, shoved Tom Clancy games down our throats, AC looks generic as ever, please never let Aisha Tyler near the stage again, the meme vault is getting full

Sony - 8.5/10 [b+]

o snap, The Last Guardian

Oh snap, FFVII remake

OH SNAP, Shenmue 3

ayy why you making us fund Shenmue 3 if you're just gonna admit you were supporting it anyway

other neat stuff like Firewatch and Horizon

Dreams

VR was okay

Actual gameplay of No Man's Sky, finally

Good job Sony, you've just sold me a PS4

"What's a Vita???"

Nintendo - 7/10 [C]

Not great compared to last year. Awesome new Smash content, Earthbound Beginnings, Starfox Zero and M&L Paper Jam were all great announcements, while FE Fates, SMT x FE, Hyrule Warriors Legends, Triforce Heroes and Super Mario Maker all looked great, NWC was pretty fun to watch, Treehouse is gettin me excited about all of these neat games; they really shouldn't have made Metroid Prime FF a Metroid game, they shouldn't have spent so much time talking about Skylanders amiibos and crap, they shouldn't have ended with 20 minutes of freaking Mario Maker, and they should have had just one new IP to show off after they treated us to four of them last year. Nintendo could've given us ANYTHING regarding Zelda U and it would've made things so much better. People are abandoning the Wii U ship and those people are idiots, but damn Nintendo, you better fix this

Oh I almost forgot about those muppets, that was good stuff

Square Enix - 8/10

Great first conference with no huge complaints. Showed lots of great games like the new Nier game, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFVII remake, had a creepy guy in a mask; hearing them talk about Just Cause 3 for 15 minutes right off the bat was kinda lame, Sony swiped the big reveal of FFVII from Square Enix, showed a lot of trailers we had already seen at other conferences, didn't show FFXV

Best of the 3rd parties without a doubt unless you're James. See you at Gamescon, Square Enix

PC Gaming - 1/10 [F-]

Is this conference over yet?

Mini Wheat told me there would be Half Life 3

#HaveAWank

Overall - 7.5 [C+]

Pretty good year, Sony made some huge announcements and blew everyone away while Microsoft and Nintendo were both very pleasing in some aspects and embarrassing in others. Square Enix dominated the 3rd party conferences and Bethesda handled their first conference very nicely as well, while EA and Ubisoft with all of their celebrity guests got schooled by the newbies. I don't even really know how to describe the PC Gaming conference, seemed more like "the Anti-Microsoft-and-Sony Conference: Extended Version, featuring advertisements for AMD cards no one cares about".

Top 5 Games shown at E3:

Starfox Zero

Fire Emblem: Fates

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Dark Souls 3

Star Wars Battlefront

Favorite moment:

The Last Guardian gameplay trailer, no more than 5 minutes after Zane predicted the game wouldn't be shown this year

• Upvote 1

grades or something

Sony - 

LAST GUARDIAN

Before the direct I was talking to someone and jokingly said Last Guardian is dead. I was wrong. Ico and Shadow of the Collosus weren't really my types of games but I won't lie and say Last Guardian doesn't look interesting. 

HORIZON

I didn't know who Guerilla games was until I realized they made Killzone (I don't care about killzone) but once they showed off this I was really excited. I know we're past the "wow such next gen" but this looks truly next gen. It looks really cool and unique and I can't wait to see more about it.

NO MAN'S SKY

Last year when No Man's Sky was shown off I was probably the most skeptical person ever. It just looked like a game where you just... did things. Gameplay was shown but what kind of gameplay? Walking around? Space shipping? Dinosaurs? This year they made it a bit more clear what kind of game it is. Space fights planet exploring and some fighting and destruction. I'm still not sure if this is supposed to be some sort of Minecraft survival space game or what but if that's there approach it certainly does look interesting. I'm still not 100% on buying it until there's more info but it doesn't look bad.

DREAMS

Literally, what the FRICK was that. I have no idea how to feel about it. Media molecule has mostly good games like Teraway and LBP and such but I have no idea how to feel about this game. Like is it a game? What is it? I don't know. It's the same way I feel about No Man's Sky. It looks interesting it's just I need more to understand what it is. That was freaking nightmare fuel though.

FFVII REMAKE

It's a FFVII remake. What's there to say? We saw no gameplay but still, I don't think we need to.

SHENMUE 3

It's shenmue 3. Also that one guy in GoldenGhost's icon. That guy is amazing.

UNCHARTED 4

It's Uncharted 4. I know that there was that glitch and the thing messed up but that was still amazing. It shows that this is actual footage and even then after that the gameplay looked amazing and open and amazing.

NO CRASH BANDICOOT

So prior to E3 on twitter SonyAU showed an image of Crash Bandicoot saying "E3 1996 was the first time we saw this guy" or something like that. I knew it wouldn't happen but I still believed. I also said that if Crash got announced on PS4 I would buy one instantly. I'm not buying one instantly but I'll still buy one eventually.

OVERALL SCORE - 9/10 eh not bad. 

Nintendo -

EARTHBOUND BEGINNINGS

It might not be Mother 3 or anything but it's still amazing. This means we're one step closer to Mother 3. I mean, 2016 is ten years of Mother 3...

STAR FOX HORIZONS BABYYYYYY

Starfox has finally returned after many years of no games. Since I don't count 64 3D. It looks pretty good and is a reimagining or something of 64. Pretty interesting looking and I'm excited to see how it turns out as time goes on.

SKYLANDERS CAR MANIA

I love amiibo. I love them a lot. This doesn't look awful or anything but I don't care about it at all. The designs of the DK/Bowser Skylander figure doesn't look really good and while it's cool that they can be amiibo I can always just... Use an actual Bowser or DK amiibo. It's probably not a bad game. I just don't care.

ZELDA TRIFORCE HEROES

I have no friends and expirencing a game that's meant for multiplayer as a singleplayer expirence isn't as fun. Also ALBW's art style is just so unappealing to me. I know it's their 3DS Zelda but I still don't really like ALBW.

HYRULE WARRIOR LEGENDS

I might check it out but probably not. I don't understand why Nintendo would take away a Wii U exclusive put it on 3DS give it all the DLC plus more characters and stages. It just seems like a slap to the face to those that bought Hyrule Warriors on Wii U for a higher price with now less content.

"METROID PRIME" FEDERATION FORCE

While we haven't seen much gameplay footage or anything it just doesn't look like Metroid. It's a dumb thing for me to say and I might end up regretting it but this game doesn't look interesting at the slightest. Maybe this game will be good and if it is that's great but there's so many better ways they could of handeled this. You don't take a franchise that hasn't had a game in 5 years a spin off title. To me this doesn't seem like it is even supposed to be a Metroid. Chances are whoever developed this made some sort of co-op space shooter game and Miyamoto walked in and was like "Hrmm this looks great but those guys look like the Metroid! I bet if you make this game into a Metroid people would buy it!" or something like that. It wouldn't be the first time Miyamoto has screwed something up... I still love him though, he's so amazing.  I mean if this was a new IP it would probably sell less then it might already sell. Hopefully the game will be good but right now it looks boring and uninteresting.

FIRE EMBLEM IFATES

Probably the most disappointing part of the direct... Just kidding. It's looking really good so far, sucks that Japan gets it soon and we have to wait until 2016. Plus for some reason we had no footage of Fire Emblem-amie or My Castle. I wonder if some things are even in the American version. Probably they haven't translated that stuff yet and if so that's understandable. I'm looking forward to the game. I uh... I've never really played a Fire Emblem game so this will be my first... please don't hurt me.

SMTxFE

idc but judging how people are upset at it I'm guessing it's not doing good.

X

12/4/15 that's good.

HAPPY HOME DESIGNER

Looks better than it did a few directs ago but then again it's obviously still being worked on. I'm not sure how I feel about it costing a full 30 dollars but still. I'll buy it. I'll probably play it. It looks cool.

ANIMAL CROSSING AMIIBO FESTIVAL

While I was watching HHD I was thinking to myself please tell me HHD doesn't replace an Animal Crossing U. MY HEART STOPPED WHEN I SAW THE ISABELLE AMIIBO TAP ONTO THE GAME PAD. I turned to witter and typed THANK YOU and I began to type another sentence saying YESSSSSSSSsss but then I returned to see it was a board game and my next tweet was OH WAIT IT'S NOT ANIMAL CROSSING U IT'S A BOARD GAME. and then I swore. alot. Still, no matter how angry I am that it wasn't an Animal Crossing U I'm still some what excited for it. If it's a Mario Party styled party game then It's cool.  Also this means we get Isabelle amiibo. I am happy.

YOSHI'S WOOLY WORLD

This game is adorable and I can't wait to use the amiib- IT DOESN'T COME OUT IN THE US UNTIL OCTOBER!? EUROPE AND JAPAN ARE GETTING IT NEXT WEEK. THERE IS NO REASON IT SHOULDN'T COME HERE TOO. WHAT. I'm excited for the game but waiting until October is stupid. If they wanted to wait atleast wait until December or something. This game screams warm and happy christmas game. Ugh, oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait... :^(

MARIO & LUIGI PAPER JAM

The next thing I wanted after Animal Crossing U was Paper Mario U... I didn't get it. This however is good. It seems more like a Mario and Luigi game than a Paper Mario game but it still looks great. The writing in these games are always amazing and it'll be fun to see the characters interact with their paper selves. Especially Bowser.

MARIO MAKER

Still calling it Mario Maker by the way. It looks really good. I want it. I want to play it. Also you can be Mario inside a sexy boot inside a clown car. AMAZING.

NO NON-SPECIFIC ACTION FIGURE

OVERALL SCORE - 7.8/10 not as bad as 2008

Microsoft -

I actually don't care. Apparently there was like... Sea of Thieves? That was cool. Backwards combatibility was cool. Fallout mods was cool.

OVERALL SCORE - Don't care outta ten

Bethesda -

DOOM

my mom doesn't let me play doom games

DISHONORED 2

Dishonored was a cool game and Dishonored 2 looks cool. I thought it would be cool to play as Emily and now you can and instead of having blink she has Hermit Purple, that's cool. I'm pretty excited for it and all I hope for is an open world. Dishonored was a bit disappointing since it was a mission styled game rather than open world and I feel like it could be open world and feel good. Maybe it's just me. Oh well.

BATTLEBORN

I don't care.

HEARTHSTONE 2 - ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

I don't care.

FALLOUT 4 BABYYYYYYYY

It's good probably.

OVERALL SCORE - I CARED ABOUT TWO GAMES OUTTA TEN 7.5 OUTTA TEN.

Square -

JUST CAUSE 3

Looks fun but too bad some boring guy was trying to narrate it.

SCARY MOON MASK GUY

Apparently he doesn't like to show his face, respect to him for that but still it was a bit silly to wear such a thing to a press conference...

KINGDOM HEARTS 3

SPENT LIKE 30 MINUTES STALLING AND TROLLING WITH KH3. KINGDOM HEARTS MOBILE AND A MESSAGE FROM DISNEY AND SOME GUY IN THE AUDIENCE.

I don't care about Kingdom Hearts but it's coming and people care about it so I'll pretend to care too.

Neir?

I've never heard of the series before but it seems interesting.

I LEFT AFTER KINGDOM HEARTS 3 :^)

The presentation was boring and the crowd was more uninterested than me. Even the translater fell asleep at one point. There was like 12 people clapping. rip

OVERALL SCORE - 7.5 SPOOKY MASKED MEN OUTTA 10

UBISOFT -

AISHA TYLER

OVERALL SCORE - 7.0 DANK MEMES OUTTA 10

EA -

UNRAVEL

It's like some sort of Limbo Epic Yarn. Also the character Yarny is amazing.

Also the guy who presented it is amazing.

THE HOOP GAWD

DAAAAAAYUMMM THAT LOOK JUST LIKE ME!

Mirrors Edge?

I gave up and left after awhile but apparently Mirror's Edge was shown.

Starwars Battlefront

Like I said, I left but Battlefront was shown and it was probably good.

4 HIIIIIIIGHWAYYYYYYYYYY TOOO THE DANGERZONEEEE OUTTA 10

TOP 5 GAMES SHOWN AT THE E3

not in any order...

Starfox Zero

Mario & Luigi Paper Jam

Fallout 4

Mario Maker

Horizon

Favorite Moment

DAAAYUMM THAT LOOK JUST LIKE ME

Or the NWC if that counts. the NWC was awesome.

I would of freaked out if Miyamoto shook my hand. Maybe that's why I'm not the Nintendo World Champion :^(

Edited by Ultanoka
  • Upvote 1

My overall opinion is that people continue to expect too much from these conferences after several consecutive years of disappointment 

• Upvote 2

Hyped, let's hope they don't change anything besides the graphics and some side things. Now let's see how Cloud looks like crossdressing in HD!

I already put my two cents in, but something that ultimately pisses me off is how poorly people are handling the new direction of the Metroid series. The official trailer has over 33,000 dislikes and there's even a campaign to force Nintendo to cancel the game (it just passed it's 7,500 goal. It wants 10,000 people to back it now.)

Essentially, say goodbye to what could be the next big Metroid game. Sure, it LOOKS different from the usual Metroid game, and it isn't really what we expected, but I fail to understand why people won't just see what this could turn into and maybe it'll be good. I mean come on, it's 4 player Metroid. Why would you not want that?

Edited by Morg

Will probably make an impressions video at some point, so I don't want to dwell on it here. Instead, since I'm actually pretty pessimistic about the way this year went down, allow me to point out the games/things that actually really excited me:

Recore: I'm always happy when Microsoft tries branching out into genres they're unfamiliar with, and this game has some pretty big names behind it. Probably at the tail end of games that got me pumped, but it was a good reveal and I look forward to hopefully getting to know more about the game at Gamescon

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility: Holy hell this was a megaton, the most impressive part about this announcement was that as an Xbox Preview Program member, there were 360 games available THAT DAY, I've been enjoying the benefits of Viva Pinata on my Xbox One and it runs like a dream. I'll be getting a hell of a lot more use out of my One now and I'm super excited for more games to be added.

Rare Replay: Funnily enough, the only Rare games I played are all the ones that aren't in this collection (Donkey Kong Country, 007 Goldeneye, Kinect Sports) aside from Viva Pinata, so this is kinda of like a Steam Sale of a bunch of world renowned games that I've never had the pleasure of experiencing (+Grabbed By The Ghoulies). Really happy to see what all the fuss is about with Conker and Banjo.

Sea of Thieves: When this was first announced, I was actually very low-key disappointed, I was hoping for a revival of a classic franchise, but after rewatching the trailer, it's potentially the One game I'm MOST excited for, the potential this game has is amazing. I tend to hate MMOs but I can't help but smile at the prospect of all my terrible friends making me walk the plank. I had my best friend over and showed him the trailer, and immediately he began discussing which of our friends should be captain and whatnot, the excitement is real.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2: Garden Warfare: Not much to say other than the first game was dumb fun, and an example of EA making a game that is nothing but "fun" and doesn't try to gouge you with egregious microtransactions. Can't wait, I've still been playing the first Garden Warfare since its release.

Unraveled: Absolutely adorable, gotta pick this up if only to support more games with this art style to show up.

Star Wars Battlefront: Did any of us expect this to actually look this good? Oh my God this just went from a maybe to day one, I loved Battlefield 4, DICE knows what they're doing, and I have total faith this game is going to the best Star Wars game I've ever played*

*I haven't played a lot of good Star Wars games

South Park: The Fractured But Whole: ha, I honestly never expected to get a sequel to Stick of Truth. If Nintendo isn't going to make proper Paper Mario games than I guess Ubisoft is, albeit with the hilarity of Matt Stone and Trey Parker, which is alright by me, the first game is amazing.

Ghost Recon Wildlands: I don't know why but the prospect of playing this with my friends makes me smile, was pleasantly surprised to get hooked by a Ghost Recon game, pretty much "massive open world" + "4 player online co-op" = buy for me.

The Last Guardian: meh JUST KIDDING I HONESTLY NEVER THOUGHT THIS WAS EVER COMING OMG LEMME BUY THAT PS4

Horizon Zero Dawn: Might be my game of E3. I am incredibly intrigued, I need this game. As someone who got both the Wii U and the Xbox One at launch and didn't bother with the PS4, THIS is the game that makes me finally think that maybe I backed the wrong horse(s) in this race. I need this game, and because of it I need a PS4.

Dreams: It's Mm so in my veins.

Super Mario Maker: Wasn't impressed with this game when it was revealed at last year's E3, but due in no small part to the NWC I am not hyped out of my mind for this game's potential. Looks amazing, especially for the creative types that have been doing this sort of thing for years via ROM hacks

I think that may have actually been it as far as games I actually am excited for this E3, at least I can't think of any others. Good year for Sony, decent year for Microsoft, better luck next year Nintendo. I will however say, that the PCgamer conference was probably the most useless waste of time I have ever experienced at E3. It was E3 2008 levels of bad, and in general, I think that third party conferences at E3 (of which there were much more than usual this year) need to come to an end. Bethesda was pointless because they had nothing to announce that any of us didn't know about aside from a Hearthstone rip-off, and they reshowed off everything about Fallout 4 at Microsoft. EA was decent, but I'm getting just a bit sick of having to sit through awkward celebrity/athlete interviews and sportssportssports, Ubisoft is hit or miss every year, and this year was definitely a miss, strong open and strong end but hot damn everything in between was boring as sin. Square Enix is ridiculous because almost everything they showed had just been in the Sony conference, and between all of the conferences that new Hitman game popped up 3 times. Tis a bit ridiculous, very unnecessary. PCgamer was the dumbest thing I've seen, the most 'me too' conference that just showed things we had already seen, only real bombshell was Killer Instinct port to PC, and even Phil Spencer looked like he didn't care about the conference while he was there.

But I ramble, it was a decent E3, I guess nearly everyone had a better conference than last year except for Nintendo, but there was certainly a wow factor that was largely missing from the show aside from Sony's conference 

Edited by Mr. Hatty

1434482752512.png

"We take opinions of this year's Digital Event seriously and will work to better meet your expectations."

maxresdefault.jpg

it's that simple

Was Earthbound Beginnings not good enough?

It's fine.

But Mother 3 is what literally (almost) everyone who likes the series wanted.

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Metroid Prime series producer Kensuke Tanabe said that due to the amount of content such a game would require, it would probably take several years to develop.

"If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console," he said.

"It's a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side."

Speaking with Tanabe, it was clear he had plenty of ideas for the game, including a focus on a single planet that has a time-shifting mechanic, similar to Metroid Prime 2: Echoes' single planet with dark and light variants.

"Instead of broadening it to more planets I would have one and would focus on the timeline, and being able to change that. That's one interesting idea I have in mind... but I understand many people thought that [Echoes] was too difficult."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Yeah this is just about what I expected. The "real" Metroid game will be on NX (whether or not they have actually started on one is debatable based on the language used in the interview), and this further supports my theory that Nintendo's poor showing was due to them moving all of their "core" teams over to NX development as the Wii U dies out

EDIT: Sony's Response to Xbox BC

PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan says the backwards compatibility of Xbox One is a legitimate strategy in trying to upgrade 360 players.

But he says that Sony will not be following the same tactic, as the firm is investing in other software updates to PS4. He also adds that - based on their experience - few gamers actually make use of such functionality.

“It was quite a complicated announcement and I’m not sure I fully understand it yet. And I suspect there might be a few twists in that particular tale. But we will see,” he told MCV when discussing the Xbox One announcement.

“It is an entirely legitimate approach, and if you are seeking to upgrade 360 owners to Xbox One, it is a very logical approach to take.

“We are just taking a different path. To the extent that you are investing in software technology - which is what this is, it’s delivered through software not through hardware - we are trying to commit our resources and put our emphasis on delivering on the promises we made right at the start of this whole PS4 thing, to be the forward-looking, socially-connected console. We are placing our bets on things like SharePlay, on things like Play as you Download, and things like Suspend/Resume.

“We are just taking two different approaches. Unfortunately there are just not sufficent enough software engineers in the world for everyone to do everything. Each platform holder has to make their choices, we made one and they made another. Their choice is entirely legitimate, and I think our choice is legitimate, too. In some ways it is quite nice to have points of difference between the two platforms, and people will decide which approach suits them best.

“We have experience of backwards compatibility. The earliest PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS2, and it is a much requested feature… but actually it’s not so greatly used.

“On balance, we are happy with our approach and we don’t wish to be defensive about it at all. But as I say, both approaches are legitimate.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/playstation-on-xbox-backwards-compatibility-it-s-good-we-re-doing-different-things/0151317

Edited by Mr. Hatty

I really like that backwards compatibility is coming to xbox one, that means a lot of games I missed out on I will be able to play but on a new console, not everyone can afford a new game every month after all.

• Upvote 1

I really like that backwards compatibility is coming to xbox one, that means a lot of games I missed out on I will be able to play but on a new console, not everyone can afford a new game every month after all.

A little bit off-topic here, but this means that we can play the 360 version of Lost Planet 2 together <3

You can play on your 360 and I can play on my One, and I can use my One's headset instead of my crappy 360 one that kept breaking last time we tried to play.

Also, a heads up for the curious, Battleblock Theater and Alien Hominid HD are both already ported to Xbox One via Xbox 360 compatibility, I'm in the preview program and I've been able to play both of them and have them run like a dream. Considering Castle Crashers Remastered is coming out soon, I don't know if we should expect CC to get ported over, but who knows

A little bit off-topic here, but this means that we can play the 360 version of Lost Planet 2 together <3

Is it already ported? And how can you see what games are being ported? I heard there was a voting system for that.

Is it already ported? And how can you see what games are being ported? I heard there was a voting system for that.

Hasn't been ported yet, but it probably (hopefully) will be. Current list of games available to those of us in the preview progam:

Banjo Kazooie: N n B

Banjo-Kazooie

Banjo-Tooie

BattleBlock Theater

Defense Grid

Geometry Wars Evolved

Hexic HD

Jetpac Refuelled

Kameo

Mass Effect

Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark Zero

Small Arms

Super Meat Boy

Toy Soldiers

Toy Soldiers: Cold War

Viva Piñata

Viva Piñata: TIP

But I don't think that's super accurate, because Alien Hominid HD isn't on the list yet I've been able to download and play it, and Hexic HD is on the list but it won't show up for me

The following games have all been confirmed to be coming next:

Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Bayonetta
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Call of Juarez
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Cars 2
Child of Eden
Civilization Revolution
Clash of Heroes HD
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dead Space
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Far Cry 2
Far Cry: Blood Dragon
Forza 2
Forza 4
Forza Horizon
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Halo 3
Halo CE: Anniversary Edition
Halo Reach
Mass Effect
Ninja Gaiden 3
Pacman Championship Edition DX
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Rayman Legends
Rayman Origins
Risen 3
Sacred 2
Saint's Row: The Third
Shadow Complex
Shadowrun
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Caliber V
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Toy Story 3
Vanquish

There is a site that you can use to vote on which games Microsoft should prioritize right here

Just sign into your Live account and vote, you can vote on as many games as you want, but only one vote per game.

For those wondering what ReCore is:

Director: Keiji Inafune

Development Team: Armature Studios.

....it's non-kickstartered enabled Maverick Hunter.