GoldenGhost

Nintendo Nx And Mobile Development: The Future Of Nintendo

So in case you haven't heard, here's the news from a recent Nintendo press conference.

Nintendo is partnering with Japanese mobile giant DeNA and, with this partnership, plans to make games for smartphones and tablets using Nintendo IPs. To clarify, these are games made just for smartdevices, not ports of games from other consoles, and they will feature Nintendo characters and worlds. They also plan to develop a new core system that is compatible with PCs, smartphones, tablets, and Nintendo consoles. They're aiming to release a membership service that utilizes their new system by Fall 2015. Guess we'll hear more at E3.

wkR0YaV.jpg

Additionally, Nintendo has announced that they plan to show their next dedicated gaming console next year. It's currently codenamed Nintendo NX and Iwata claims it is being designed around a "brand new concept". He gave this announcement to assure everyone that Nintendo's enthusiasm for dedicated video game consoles is not hindered in any way by the decision to enter the mobile app market, but rather strengthened.

So ladies and gents, this is the future of Nintendo. What do you think?

I'm betting my money that the Nintendo NX will incorporate AR or VR and the reason they're pushing it so quickly is because, well, all of the other major console developers have shown their VR headsets and it's Nintendo's turn to step up to the plate. I think we'll be hearing about it next year and we'll see a 2017 release date, giving the Wii U a 5-year life-span just like the Wii had. As for their mobile development, I'm curious to see what kinds of franchises they send over. We'll obviously be seeing Mario on smartdevices, as well as spin-off Pokemon games similar to Pokemon Shuffle. I could also see Kirby and maybe Donkey Kong games on smartdevices, and I'd actually love to see a WarioWare game for mobile. Overall I think the decision to develop for mobile devices is a very smart one, and it was also very smart of them to announce their next console along with this so that people didn't freak out and think Nintendo is in some kind of financial trouble.

So what games do you want to see on mobile devices? What do you think the Nintendo NX will be like: a handheld? a console? both? VR or AR? something else entirely? What impact will it have on the "current gen" of consoles? Post your thoughts!

• Upvote 2

I have a windows phone and this is the worst announcement of my life. But at the same time I also wonder if they will make some kind of Nintendo phone which I will probobly eat up, but at the same time my nerd levels will skyrocket for having a Nintendo phone. I'll just have to see how this all fans out then decide whats going on when we get more information.

• Upvote 1

It's definitely one of the weirder things to come from Nintendo lately. I mean I just got my iPhone, I really would prefer to stick to it.

As long as the NX isn't a Virtual Boy 2.0, I'll want it because it's Nintendo.

As for the smartphone games, I am not against it, but I really hope Nintendo doesn't screw it up. If they make too many "Free-to-play" style games, it could drag their name through the mud. That being said, if they are quality games, nobody would mind. ;-)

Lol @ Nintendo's stock going up 32% minutes after the announcement, it may be even higher by now

Nintendos stocks are so unstable its crazy. They go up and down with every single little thing they do.

It's been confirmed that Hideki Konno will be leading mobile development at Nintendo.

For those that don't recognize the name, he's the producer of the Mario Kart and Nintedogs series, and he has been a director on multiple hit Nintendo games, like Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64 and Lugi's Mansion.