Sign in to follow this  
U-Knighted

Editing/directing Frustration

So, this story isn't to serious or anything, so I'm just going to put it here.

I'm a really frustrated young director.

I make many videos with my friends, and I've come to a point where we want to make some real legit videos and release them on the internet, because it'd be fun for our stuff to be watched.

But we've got three problems.

Quality: Now it
doesn't matter if you have to funniest video in the world, if someone
see's a video with awful quality, they'll click away. (With exception
of a few.)

Cameras: We've been using many different
cameras. When we started we had this awesome picture/video camera. But
that's when we had little knowledge about editing/movies. Those videos
weren't good editing or story wise.

Then one day, I had an actually good idea for a new video, but when I turned on the camera, it just said "error."

So that camera was broken, and we needed a new one.

For the next 2 months me and my two friends would make stupid but funny videos using the webcam. We even got a green screen. (Using a sheet.)

But we really wanted to get out off our chairs and makes something outside or something.

So
one of my new friends said he had a really cheap video camera, and we
used it. Him and I made 3 videos with that thing, and we brought it
home to edit. The video quality stunk.That's just one reason I'm frustrated.

Sound: No
matter what camera we use (with the exception of the webcam) I can
barely hear my friends when they're speaking. I made HUGE mistake
giving this really quiet kid the main role. (He was supposed to show
the main plot, but you couldn't hear him at all.)

Also, whenever you move the camera, you'll hear a weird sound.

With this new camera we're using as of now, there's a constant "tap tap tap" in the back round.

I've actually considered getting a microphone, but I don't really have the money for it.

Editing: A good movie needs good editing -- and I'm the editor.

The frustration here are the editing programs. Not my skills.

months before I got that cheap camera I just made stupid random crap
using my webcam in bed, but it sharpened my editing skills.

I have three possible programs: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, Final Cut Pro, and iMovie HD (an older, better version of iMovie).
I started with iMovie HD, and I'm now really good with it. But that kind of lacks in quality. (Hence the name, iMovie HD)

But one day my dad brought home a computer that his work didn't want anymore, and it had two professional editing programs, Premiere and Final Cut.

I
started with Premiere, and was super hyped. But when I tried to edit
some footage I had with the super cheap camera, the importing process
was slow. The playback speed was even slower. Doing the most simple
things on iMovie takes five minutes or more on Premiere. Everything is
overly complicated. Hence it being a "professional" editing program, I
could only make super basic stuff.

I didn't even want to start with final cut after that.

But I didn't want to go back to iMovie, as it lacks quality.

Help?

Directing: Yep, I'm the director too. But since I'm running out of time, I'll sum this up pretty quick.

Whenever I have an awesome vision, it goes wrong.

My friends aren't really the greatest actors, and of course as the camera helps us by lacking in quality, you may be able to see how bad these videos might be.

All the jokes I add in, are never funny because you barely hear my friends or they just don't deliver them right.

I can't kick them out, they're my close friends.

Plus all the action/dramatic scenes turn out to be stupid or pathetic.

My friends dying of laughter behind the camera doesn't help, either.

If every movie I make turned out how I originally wanted it to be, I'd be top director.

I JUST DON'T HAVE THE RESOURCES.

Possible Solutions:

Don't have the money to buy an HD camera or a high sound mic.

My idear is that I could possibly find some good deals online for some HD mics/cams and just help my friends develop a character a little bit more. (But there bad acting is fantastic in comedy videos.)

And possibly I could find a good editing program, or just give premiere/final cut another chance.

So this is where you guys come in, any ideas?

Im not really an authoritative source for this, but my dad used to do photography and Mo-cap and things, and I'm fairly sure to get even adequate quality for your videos is gonna cost hundreds of pounds. Not just for an HD camera, but for all the pivots, lenses, tripods and everything to keep it stable while filming.

It all depends on what you're doing. If you wanna be Famous Youtuber level, it'l be about £400 total, maybe less. If you wanna be Michael Bay, its gonna be a little bit more. :P

As for sound, you may not need to buy a standalone mic; you could try artificially boosting voices with a sound editing software... but I'm not too sure on that. You'l have to look into it.

Im sure someone on this forum has more info though. Especially those Creationism guys... :D

As for your friends acting, sometimes films are so unbelievably horrific they turn out good... try telling them to act even worse as a test, and see if it works out. You never know. If it doesn't work, I guess you could try and convince them into acting lessons or something...

Hope this was of some use to you,

J

Edited by Jamma003

Whenever I'm lacking in acting/editing/directing resources and quality, I usually write a script that matches the lack in quality (usually tongue-in-cheek). My last film project was a mock-umentary because I didn't want to worry about lighting or perfect focus or anything like that. I was the only actor who frequently appeared on screen, and the other lead character was the cameraman, so only his voice was heard. We also included little interviews in-between scenes to help with the transitions, and because they weren't necessary to the story, I could simply remove them if they weren't very good. If any of the extras were too quiet, we just added a subtitle, and since it was documentary-styled it didn't look off at all.

In another one of my videos, I found that bad acting could be sort of cancelled out with a lot of noise and interruptions (as long as that's an atmosphere you're going to have in your videos). If you have characters interrupting each other or talking over each other, it's a bit harder to catch bad acting. You can see that video here. All we needed for this video was a bunch of pens and a group of people, and it turned out really well.

One more project that didn't really come to fruition, we were going to sprinkle the video with local TV network-styled commercials. They were going to be really bad, really cheesy, and super simple to make.

Just find a film concept that's perfect for your current resources.

Also, Adobe Premeir Pro will pretty much match all your video editing needs (even though it's a little bit of a pain to learn), but you will have trouble finding a good free video editing program. Whoever is in charge of pricing these things is insane.

• Upvote 1

Well I have this awesome new resource that fixes a lot of things:

The iPhone 6.

No really, the camera on this thing is fantastic. (Or ad least better then what I have.)

It also has a ton of space. I also have this attachable microphone that will up the sound quality.

Using all your input, I know what to do with my friends -- tell them to almost yell so we can hear them better, and help them with their acting.

I think mainly typing out all these problems helped my wrap my head around it, so I may be able to get somewhere.

Wish me luck,

UK.

EDIT: I'm from the USA, anyone know what 400 Euros is going to USD?

Edited by U-Knighted

The iPhone 6.

No really, the camera on this thing is fantastic. (Or ad least better then what I have.)

It also has a ton of space. I also have this attachable microphone that will up the sound quality.

Using all your input, I know what to do with my friends -- tell them to almost yell so we can hear them better, and help them with their acting.

I think mainly typing out all these problems helped my wrap my head around it, so I may be able to get somewhere.

Wish me luck,

UK.

Advertising!!! JK

Yeah, I think a lot of phone cameras are actually pretty decent for low budget / no budget shoots. Just get a sizeable mini sd card and you're good to go. 

Where do you usually shoot? It might be good to just film in a super quite space or do voice over? 

The iPhone 6.

Wish me luck,

UK.

Advertising!!! JK

Yeah, I think a lot of phone cameras are actually pretty decent for low budget / no budget shoots. Just get a sizeable mini sd card and you're good to go. 

Where do you usually shoot? It might be good to just film in a super quite space or do voice over? 

We shoot pretty much anywhere.

The thing about voice over is that it's hard to match their lips, but it's an idea.