Before I begin, I'm just going to say that this has been going on for a year now, and I've kind of had it.

Also, I had no idea where to put this, the off-topic arena just fit the most.

And two other things, I have an XBOX 360, NOT an XBOX ONE.

I also have a 250 GB that I got five or six years ago.

XBOX Live is broken.

Which means I can't:

Chat, play, communicate, or even view my friends via XBOX Live.

Download or/and buy any games/demos/apps.

Play online multiplayer.

Play games that require XBOX Live.

Buy/download add-ons.

So in other words, I can only play games/add-ons that I have already downloaded, or buy them on a disc.

^That's my biggest frustration^

The second biggest is no multiplayer.

Third biggest is I downloaded the demo for CC/BBT before XBOX Live went down. When I actually wanted to buy them XBOX Live went down.

Why?

December 11, 2013.

A new update was released.

I downloaded this update, excited to see what was new.

I got some sort of message:

Error

Could not download this update

If the problem continues, please go *some sort of support website*

Error code - *forgot the error code, I'll add it later*

So I just ignored and checked who was online... Thing is I can't connect to XBOX Live until I download this update.

I was ticked, so we called xbox support, and after getting past all the automated messages we finally got a person on the phone.

He sent us to about 3 other people, until we got this guy named X. (Probably shouldn't reveal his name...)

He made us to a lot of pointless crap, and in the end the situation was worse.

He
told us to delete our main account, which has all of our families stuff
on it, and is the only XBOX Live gold account we have. He said we could
download it again once the problem is fixed, and I knew you could too,
so I did this.

After that, it turns out he had no idea how to fix it. So that account was gone until we get this thing solved.

I got this brilliant idea to buy a new 4 GB, (It was cheap, because XBOX ONE recently came out.) and just slide our current hard drive into this new 4 Gig console. The guy confirmed that this would work.

We also got other problems, but they've already been solved, so I don't think I should mention them.

We bought the new console, and tried this out. It didn't work. I couldn't download the update.

So I tricked out the system, and downloaded the update without the hard drive inside, then put in the hard drive, and it seemed to work, but it was EXTREMELY laggy.

So we returned that XBOX and are stuck with this. We've come to a conclusion that there's something wrong with the hard drive.

Any ideas?

Buy a Wii U!

Seriously though there's no point in spending more money on a new hard drive and stuff for an outdated console, I would just save up some money and upgrade.

• Upvote 2

Have you tried resetting the xbox 360 to the factory defaults? This would wipe everything, but you can recover the accounts and would have to re-download all your games and updates.

• Upvote 1

Have you tried resetting the xbox 360 to the factory defaults? This would wipe everything, but you can recover the accounts and would have to re-download all your games and updates.

If we do wipe everything, and we still don't have XBOX Live, then what do we do?

Edit: Before you factory reset, can you go into the hard drive on the system and delete the previous updates?

Truthfully, I do not know. I would assume that their was some error when downloading an update, and resetting it to the factory settings would allow you to access the downloads again without the corrupted update. If you have some way to back up everything, I would do that, but if you dont, then proceed cautiously I suppose.

Edited by Oh Butler
  • Upvote 1

As a Gamestop employee, I have seen this problem before.  Sounds like a corrupted install on said update.  Only real way to fix it would be to format (or factory reset) the drive.  Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and try it.  What have you got to lose?  You basically already can't do anything, so worst case scenario, you STILL can't do anything.  

You could always back some stuff up, like save data and whatnot, to a USB thumb drive before the reset (which I would recommend actually doing if you can).

• Upvote 2

Try and find the update on the internet, download it and burn it to a disc. Put it into your 360 and I THINK that it will know what youre doing and install it that way. You should research this before trying it, but I think Ive seen it done in the past.

Also, some files come with you when you download your profile. E.G. I have Halo Reach, and when I DL my profile, I get my XP and armor but not my custom maps. Not that helpful, I know, but you at least wouldnt lose everything.

Edited by Jamma003
  • Upvote 1

If you can't connect to Xbox Live on a stable connection it could be the same problem i have. If you have comcast then i could tell you how to fix it.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... at this point, I would say "Go see customer service" but we all know that MS Customer Service/ Forum / Helpline is like trying to get blood from a stone. Heres a few more things to try:

• Clear your system cache. Depending on how long you've had the machine, it may be full of junk files that mean it cant load anything anymore. Google how to do it, because I cant do it from memory. This will remove MOST of your updates for games, so you will have to redo them. Its a real pain for the 150MB GTA:V Update.
  • Remove your HDD and try to install it to the internal memory. Your HDD may be kaput.
  • Go into your settings, the storage, and delete all files with yellow exclamation marks. Corrupt files may be interfering with the download. Check before deleting a whole folder though, because one corrupt file will flag every other file as corrupt too. A Minecraft Skin Pack will show up as the whole Minecraft being screwed. 

If none of that works, could you please try to do the update, then screen-cap or make note of whatever error message you get? My Xbox has been through a lot, so chances are Il have been in a similar position before.

I will solve this problem.... I will stop at nothing!!!

- J

As a Gamestop employee, I have seen this problem before.  Sounds like a corrupted install on said update.  Only real way to fix it would be to format (or factory reset) the drive.  Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and try it.  What have you got to lose?  You basically already can't do anything, so worst case scenario, you STILL can't do anything.

I believe that clearing the system cache will fix this without requiring a format. But hey, I dont work at Gamestop... I could be wrong.

Edited by Jamma003
  • Upvote 1

If you can't connect to Xbox Live on a stable connection it could be the same problem i have. If you have comcast then i could tell you how to fix it.

I tested my XBOX Live connect and it's perfect. It's just that I can't download this update.

Hmm... at this point, I would say "Go see customer service" but we all know that MS Customer Service/ Forum / Helpline is like trying to get blood from a stone. Heres a few more things to try:

• Clear your system cache. Depending on how long you've had the machine, it may be full of junk files that mean it cant load anything anymore. Google how to do it, because I cant do it from memory. This will remove MOST of your updates for games, so you will have to redo them. Its a real pain for the 150MB GTA:V Update.
  • Remove your HDD and try to install it to the internal memory. Your HDD may be kaput.
  • Go into your settings, the storage, and delete all files with yellow exclamation marks. Corrupt files may be interfering with the download. Check before deleting a whole folder though, because one corrupt file will flag every other file as corrupt too. A Minecraft Skin Pack will show up as the whole Minecraft being screwed. 

If none of that works, could you please try to do the update, then screen-cap or make note of whatever error message you get? My Xbox has been through a lot, so chances are Il have been in a similar position before.

I will solve this problem.... I will stop at nothing!!!

- J

I believe that clearing the system cache will fix this without requiring a format. But hey, I dont work at Gamestop... I could be wrong.

Well should I try your advice our rest the drive? Which one has a better chance of working?

It certainly sounds like a failing drive with corrupt information on it. (due to it not working even on another console) I really suggest (just what Pocket said) reformatting your hard drive back to factory setting. It'll get all the baddies out, and start all over with a new, fresh experience. Trust me, it'll be worth it, if it works. (probably will) :-)

Edited by King
  • Upvote 1

I deleted all my corrupted data, still doesn't seem to download the update. I can't get rid of all my data, as this is my family's console.

Here's the error code:

4099 - 0000 - 0080 - 0300 - 8007 - 045D

I deleted all my corrupted data, still doesn't seem to download the update. I can't get rid of all my data, as this is my family's console.

Here's the error code:

Alright. Basically, the update is trying to install to a storage device that it cant find. You must have set it to try and download to a certain device, then you removed the device, so it cant tell where to put it or something. The best way of fixing this is to:

• Remove all storage spaces in your Xbox (USBs, External Hard Drive, AND internal HDD. If you need to know how to remove them all, ask, the internal memory can be a pain)
  • Get the main storage device that you use (for example, the internal HDD), and put it back in.
  • Turn on the Xbox.
  • Try the update again.

NB: Depending on your model of Xbox, some storage spaces may not be removable. If so, leave them in as the only available option.

See how that works out, and report back if you get any more errors. But whatever you do, dont format anything, because 4099 - 0000 - 0080 - 0300 - 8007 - 045D is a memory failure, not a corrupted file issue.

Good luck!

One other thing, Kings post (above) seems to hold hope, but if you can avoid buying a new HDD, itd be nice.

EDIT AGAIN: Do you even quote? This has been through 7 revisions now, seriously bro. Play nice.

Edited by Jamma003
  • Upvote 2

Here's the error code:

Alright. Basically, the update is trying to install to a storage device that it cant find. You must have set it to try and download to a certain device, then you removed the device, so it cant tell where to put it or something. The best way of fixing this is to:

• Remove all storage spaces in your Xbox (USBs, External Hard Drive, AND internal HDD. If you need to know how to remove them all, ask, the internal memory can be a pain)
  • Get the main storage device that you use (for example, the internal HDD), and put it back in.
  • Turn on the Xbox.
  • Try the update again.

NB: Depending on your model of Xbox, some storage spaces may not be removable. If so, leave them in as the only available option.

See how that works out, and report back if you get any more errors. But whatever you do, dont format anything, because 4099 - 0000 - 0080 - 0300 - 8007 - 045D is a memory failure, not a corrupted file issue.

Good luck!

One other thing, King's post (above) seems to hold hope, but if you can avoid buying a new HDD, itd be nice.

EDIT AGAIN: Do you even quote? This has been through 7 revisions now, seriously bro. Play nice.

We've already done this.

I think according to the post King had, I should back up all the space, then format the HD.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what will.

This solution was for a XBOX 360 S, which is what I have.

Thanks to everyone who has helped, I was starting to think that I'd never be able to update!

GUESS WHAT?

AFTER A WHOLE DAY OF TRANSFERRING DATA...

IT WORKED!!

SORRY FOR CAPS BUT I AM JUST SO HAPPY!!

Thank you so much! Especially you guys, Jamma and King.

You're awesome!

• Upvote 1

GUESS WHAT?

IT WORKED!!

You're awesome!

You are welcome :-) I'm very happy for you. Xbox is so full of opportunities and is so exciting. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

• Upvote 1

GUESS WHAT?

IT WORKED!!

You're awesome!

Haha!! You're welcome!

Glad we could help!