Lego announced a new series of Lego sets that will interact with a new Lego game called Lego Dimensions. From what I've seen, it's like how Amiibos work except they're Lego sets. It looks like the base of the actual figurine interacts with the game through a "portal" (a la Disney Infinity) and then it also comes with the pieces to build the figurine on top of the base. This is actually very cool since it opens up a world of possibilities for customization.

Anyways here's a trailer so you can see it for yourself (although it's mainly just awkward acting, cheesy jokes and pop culture references; if you want to see some gameplay then skip to the last minute or so):

From the trailer, it looks like the Lego series involved with Lego Dimensions so far are:

-Lord of the Rings

-DC universe

-Lego Movie

-Back to the Future

-The Wizard of Oz

-Lego Ninjago

I'm sure more will be added over time though. It looks like the game will come included in a Starter Pack priced at $100, which includes a copy of the game, the portal, and 4 figurines: Batman, Gandalf, that chick from the Lego Movie whose name is unknown to me, and the Batmobile. Beyond that, packs of figurines will add content to the game such as levels and characters, and those packs will cost about $15-$30 and include 2 to 4 figurines. The sets are up on amazon.uk, if you're curious about what they include.

So overall I think this idea is pretty neat. I'm a fan of the Lego games and I feel like the interaction between Lego sets and Lego games is something that was destined to happen. I'll definitely be checking this out again when we're closer to the release date: September 27th, 2015. I highly doubt I'll be as invested in this as I am with Amiibos, but this is still something I can see myself enjoying and getting into. It looks like Lego Dimensions will be released on all major platforms (Xbone, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U) so that's cool too. I'm not sure whether the figurines will only work with one console or if they work across all of them, but I guess that's something we'll find out.

Interesting.

Pricey, though.

I grew up with LEGOs, and I know that they attempted virtual and physical brick connections before, but it never turned out so well.

I heard that The Wizard of Oz set is going to be a Toys R Us exclusive :^)

Really though, 100 dollars for the base and game seems like a bit too much for me.

Heard rumors about this awhile ago, looks much better than the concept started. I'm a sucker for NFC figures (as some of you know from my prior Disney Infinity shenanigans), so had I not been burned by Lego games enough times to know that the gameplay doesn't do it for me I'd be all over this.

That being said, I do take some issue with this after getting past the initial 'this looks awesome' phase. This game looks to essentially be a Lego game in the same manner of Marvel or Star Wars or what have you, except now instead of having a lot of characters to unlock, now you have a lot of characters to buy at $15 a pop. Disney Infinity had the same problem (and holistically was a much worse value), but this seemed more atrocious because we have the precedent of having all these characters come with the base game before. Even more egregious is that we're still getting traditional Lego games moving forward, so this won't be a one-stop shop for Lego lovers, you've got this, plus all the expansions, and woops looks like if you want Jurassic World then you have to front $60 for a whole 'nother game that's incompatible. For anyone not understanding what I mean when I say this, here is a picture I shamelessly stole from NeoGAF that illustrates the concept quite well:

SzZLAer.jpg

Furthermore, the licenses being represented here are not a great representation of 'Lego' and is more of a mish-mash of things thrown together (which I suppose one could argue is in itself a representation of 'Lego' but that's besides the point). The real sets that would be the roots of what 'Lego' is would be like the Lego City or Lego Pirates or what have you, but at the moment it's basically just Warner Bros. licenses (Disney Infinity has a very similar issue with this where a very small portion of figures are actually 'Classic Disney' and the vast majority are either very recent characters used to promote new movies or Marvel licenses). This is further problematic by the fact that once you get into what licensed material are big names in Lego, at the forefront lies Star Wars, which is undoubtedly never going to be making an appearance in this game because Disney is gearing up to add Star Wars characters to Infinity and would be fools to allow a directly competing NFC game use their properties.

There are other additional issues such as the fact that since the 'Lego' name is on the box it costs more than it should, just like the pieces themselves always do, but generally this concept is 'neat,' and despite my qualms I will reiterate that I'd be all over this if the gameplay didn't bore me to tears.

Letting this rant come to a close, I think we're in dangerous times here, the Toys to Life marketplace may continually get new competitors, but the market surely cannot support them all. This is going to be the 'Peripheral-based Music-gaming Fallout' all over again. In general, I think the way pretty much every single one of these NFC franchises are going about this is wrong for a variety of reasons regarding how they actually function, in that respect I suppose I would call Nintendo's approach the "best" but I want to use that term lightly since we all have qualms with how their supply/demand issues are handled and the content their product promotes in the first place is starting to verge on less than great business practice territory.

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a guy talking about Lego Toys to Life shenanigans on the internet with my amiibo to the left of me and my complete set of Series 1 Disney Infinity figures to the right of me. I'm obviously mental.

that chick from the Lego Movie whose name is unknown to me

That would be Wyldstyle, mate.

• Upvote 3

Considering that there's another Lego movie in the making, they'll probably slap that into this in 2017 to revive it form the miserable faliure that this will be, and jack up prices while they're at it :roll:

All in all, I'm not sold

My 10 year old self would have loved this.

It's a shame that anything with the LEGO brand on it these days is ridiculously expensive. When I was a kid you could get at least a couple of small LEGO sets for around £10. Nowadays that probably wouldn't even cover the cost of a starter set. Anyways, Dimensions isn't in my price or age range, so I'll be giving it a miss.

Looks like it could be a lot of fun for the rich kids, though. 

• Upvote 1

"That's right, you're going to finally be able to see DC heroes interact with other characters outside of the DC universe!"

Wasn't Batman, a popular DC hero, in the LEGO movie?

Anyway, the only way I'd REALLY buy this if they had Marvel Heroes. Then I'd be sold. Looks like LEGO isn't going on that path, and is going to DC.

Of course, LEGO is going to choose their normal line up and milk the crap out of DC Heroes, Lego Movie, and Ninjago until they get every penny possible.

This whole "all the themes combined" thing has been done many times before. The LEGO movie was the best they've done with that idea.

Get rid of that annoying song, and TLM isn't bad.

Edited by U-Knighted

Walmart has accidentally revealed a few upcoming purchasables via store links that have since been taken down

There are three "fun packs" based on Lego's Legend of Chima series, two "Team Packs" one for Jurassic World and one for Scooby Doo, and two "Level Packs" one for The Simpsons and one for Portal.

Interesting stuff, The Simpsons and Portal are the most interesting IPs for this thing yet, in my eyes at least.

• Upvote 1

Walmart has accidentally revealed a few upcoming purchasables via store links that have since been taken down

There are three "fun packs" based on Lego's Legend of Chima series, two "Team Packs" one for Jurassic World and one for Scooby Doo, and two "Level Packs" one for The Simpsons and one for Portal.

Poral? Lord GabeN doesn't have enough money, does he...

EDIT: For once I didn't fix my own spelling. Well then... I'll just leave it...

Edited by A C Cret
  • Upvote 1

You've lost me. I have a wallet, and I'm going to save it. I will ignore the steam summer sales (<-- Alliteration :o) and I will ignore the overpriced next gen consoles. I will ignore this new "LEGO Dimensions" concept as it looks like total bogus. You have to buy levels, characters, AND items, and they're probably going to be 15 bucks a pop. Hide your money.

The game will probably stink, and just be built up a ton. I've played with lego a lot as a kid trust me I know.

EDIT: Lord GabeN is involved now? Nowhere is safe… 

EDIT EDIT: A C Cret, what the heck is Poral? :P

Edited by U-Knighted