Mr. Hatty

Guitar Hero Live

guitar_hero_live_logo.jpg?w=660&h=371

Guitar Hero is coming back in an all new way. After roughly five years of lying dormant, the plastic guitar phenomenon returns with some dramatic changes:

guitar.0.jpg

"We always knew if we ever brought Guitar Hero back it
had to be because we came up with some great innovation and made some
big changes. The way we started it, we took it right to its core,
its base. We said, what was it about Guitar Hero that was so cool in the
first place? Why did it become the game it became?" -Jamie Jacks, studio head at FreeStyleGames (Creators of the critically acclaimed DJ Hero series)

Using this mindset, the creative minds at FreeStyleGames reinvented their guitar controller, no longer sporting the 5 colored buttons of yesteryear, but now having 2 rows of 4 buttons each, meant to better replicate that of a real guitar.

7239_0229_GHLive_Stage1.0.jpg

Along with the dramatic changes with the guitar itself, the entire game itself has changed into a different beast. The game now takes place from a first person viewpoint, and features full motion video backgrounds that are (supposedly) dynamic to your gameplay, giving the player the impression of what it's like to play on a real stage.

"Imagine someone is using the television in your house, you can take
(the game) in the other room and play on your phone screen or on your
tablet screen with the whole guitar." -Tyler Michaud, Senior Director at Activision

The game currently has no announced songs, but along with it's reveal it was said that The Black Keys, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Gary Clark, Jr., Green Day, Ed Sheeran, The War on Drugs, The Killers, Skrillex, The Rolling Stones, The Lumineers, Pierce the Veil and Blitz Kids would all have music featured in the game, with more artists to be revealed at E3.

Packaged in with Guitar Hero Live is the new Guitar Hero TV, which allows for players to play along with music videos from their "ever-expanding" catalog of songs available for the game.

*Songs and Instruments from previous Guitar Hero games will be incompatible with Guitar Hero Live*

Guitar Hero Live will release at an undisclosed date bundled with the new guitar peripheral for $99.99 on PS3, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

So yeah, Guitar Hero is back, just in time for Rock Band's revival, but it looks like they're going after different markets here, any thoughts on the dramatic changes to the core of this once beloved franchise?

EDIT:

Current Soundtrack:

Avicii
Alt-J “Left Hand Free”
Alter Bridge “Cry of Achilles”
American Authors “Best Day of My Life”
Band Of Skulls “Asleep At The Wheel”
Biffy Clyro “Sounds Like Balloons”
The Black Keys “Gold On The Ceiling”
Black Veil Brides “In The End”
Blitz Kids “Sometimes”
Broken Bells “Leave It Alone”
Carrie Underwood “Before He Cheats”
Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran “Sing”
Fall Out Boy “My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)”
Gary Clark Jr. “Don’t Owe You A Thang”
Gary Clark Jr.
The Gaslight Anthem “45”
Green Day “Oh Love”
Green Day “Nuclear Family”
Jake Bugg “What Doesn’t Kill You”
Judas Priest “Breaking The Law”
The Killers “When You Were Young”
The Lumineers “Ho Hey”
Madden Brothers
Megadeth
My Chemical Romance “Na Na Na Na”
Neon Trees
Of Monsters and Men “Little Talks”
Pantera “Cowboys From Hell”
Paramore
Pierce The Veil “King for a Day (Feat. Kellin Quinn)”
The Police “Message In A Bottle”
The Pretty Reckless “Going To Hell”
Rage Against The Machine “Guerrilla Radio”
Red Hot Chili Peppers “Higher Ground”
The Rolling Stones “Paint It, Black”
Skaters
Skrillex “Bangarang”
Sleigh Bells “Bitter Rivals”
State Champs
System Of A Down “Chop Suey”
Vampire Weekend
The War on Drugs “Under The Pressure”
Weezer
Edited by Mr. Hatty
  • Upvote 1

I love how a new Rock Band game got announced earlier this year, and quickly after, a new Guitar Hero. Classic.

In fairness, Guitar Hero Live has supposedly been in development for the last 3 years, while Rock Band 4 development started May 2014 at the very earliest, plus, to Activision's credit, they actually have shown us full gameplay footage, a trailer, there's a playable demo making its rounds to the press (which features the songs "When You Were Young" by The Killers and "The Phoenix" by Fall Out Boy), whereas all Rock Band has is a logo, concept art and a release date.

That all being said, I'm getting multiple copies of Rock Band 4 at launch and I'm unsure if I'm getting this game at all, historically Rock Band has been the superior franchise, and Guitar Hero was pretty prone to just throwing things out spontaneously to compete with Rock Band, so I can see where this idea comes from.

Luckily, with this odd new controller and dropping band support/multiplayer, they seem to be targeting an entirely different (and perhaps nonexistant?) audience with this reboot than Rock Band is. It's a weird middle ground between Rock Band and Rocksmith, I'd say, which to me doesn't sound very appealing, but I'm definitely withholding judgement until I can play this for myself.... oh man, I'm getting flashbacks to seeing a Guitar Hero or Rock Band demo at every store that sold electronics, I really hope we start to see that happen again.

I was a big fan of the DJ Hero series, so I will probably give this a shot. I dont know if I want to shell out 100 bucks for more plastic instruments, but we will see. I hope that they do what they did with DJ Hero and have some really awesome song mash ups for you to play. That element made it feel more real like and not just a 'pushing random colored buttons' game. Don't know how that would work, but I can hope. As you said Hatty, I will probably play RB4 over this, however.

Saw this in our news at Gamestop today and I got excited.  Only a hundred bucks (give or take after discount and tax) for Guitar Hero sounds good to me.  The way the game works seems a bit interesting to me, but I trust these devs to make it work, and I hope it's as good as I want it to be.

I intend to pick up both Guitar Hero and Rock Bandm so I'll see which I like more and which actually succeeds financially.  I am disappointed the GH:Live guitar won't work with Rock Band, but I do like the new look of the guitar, and am looking forward to trying it out.  Here's to hoping the used better micro switches in the strum bars so it won't fail like my GH5 guitar strum bar seems to every now and then.

Havent played a Guitar Hero since GH3; Legends Of Rock (i think it was that anyway)

This hype train was just boarded.

• Upvote 1

I was a big fan of the DJ Hero series, so I will probably give this a shot. I dont know if I want to shell out 100 bucks for more plastic instruments, but we will see. I hope that they do what they did with DJ Hero and have some really awesome song mash ups for you to play. That element made it feel more real like and not just a 'pushing random colored buttons' game. Don't know how that would work, but I can hope. As you said Hatty, I will probably play RB4 over this, however.

I never ended up getting DJ Hero, but my God those remixes were the best. The soundtrack for those games were crazy awesome and it sucks that due to licensing they'll never see an official disc release.

My personal favorites "My Name Is" by Eminem vs "Loser" by Beck and "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani vs "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz.

So dope