Hazard

Hazard's Castle Crashers Animal Orb Guide

Hazard's Castle Crashers Animal Orb Guide

I have been making many guides as of late to help new players get ready for the re-master.  This guide will focus on the locations of (in order of availability), the effects, and what are the best animal orbs in the game [Covered in posts 7-9] .

Note - When playing in multiplayer, most animal orbs will not appear if another player has it following them (Ex - If Player B has Scratchpaw with them and Player A goes to the level where it  is hidden to find it, it won't be there).

1/29 - Sherbert

2whmbzn.jpg

Effect - Gives you a higher jump

Location - This is the first pet in the game.  After you finish Home Castle and Castle Keep, go to the Blacksmith level.  Enter the Animal Ark and go all the way to the left of the screen (to the locked door).  If you look at the top left of your screen, you can see it hiding on the ceiling.  Jump and combo the X and Y buttons.  Alternatively, you can use the Magic Jump [RT+A] (20 points in magic required) and simply jump from the ground to it.

2/29 - Owlet

14b21qr.jpg

Effect - Finds hidden food in trees

Location - At the very end of the Forest Entrance, right before entering the Thieves' Forest, look for musical notes coming from behind the plants (near the top of the screen). Walk past/behind the plants to find the hidden Owlet.

3/29 - Seahorse

aw2g0h.jpg

Effect - Move at normal speed through areas with water

Location - In the Thieves' Forest, it is sitting in plain sight.  Right after the cutscene with Poop Deer, there is a wave of enemies at the shallow river. Seahorse is sitting at the top of the screen, on the right side of the river.

4/29 - Troll

2e2jyvr.jpg

Effect - Restores 1% of your HP every 8 seconds

Location - Return to the Thieves' Forest after you purchase Bombs. Right before the wall that you have to destroy in the ruins-esque area, you can see it through a cracked wall at the top of the screen. Use 3 Bombs on the cracked wall to open a passageway to the Troll.

5/29 - Rammy

fm57om.jpg

Effect - Knocks over enemies (or friends in PvP)  It can do either a charge up attack, or be dragged through the enemy

Location - You will see Rammy following the Bear Boss in Tall Grass Field. Once you defeat the boss, you can pick up Rammy as your own animal orb.

• Upvote 1

6/29 - Bitey Bat

2d1lkxg.jpg

Effect - Holds a single enemy in place and does a little damage to it

Location - In Pipistrello's Cave, you will fight the big bat, Pipistrello at the end.  After you kill Pipistrello, it deflates and turns into Bitey Bat.

7/29 - Meowburt

2rcllkz.jpg

Effect - +3 Agility

Location - After killing the Conehead Groom in wedding crash, you will automatically enter the Parade level.  Beat this level and enter the next level, Cyclops' Cave. Immediately after entering the cave, exit out of it to the left, the way you came in. Meowburt will be waiting for you in plain sight.

8/29 - Snoot

fmp17r.jpg

Effect - +2 Strength

Location - In the Cyclops' Fortress, there are a few enclaves on the wall. One of these enclaves (near the Cyclops portrait) has a crack on it.  Use 2 Bombs on the crack to open the platform where Snoot is waiting.

9/29 - Monkeyface

2195448.jpg

Effect - Increases enemies chance to drop food and *bugged* weapons

Location - In the Church Store, buy it for 750 coins.

10/29 - Spiny

20z7b7k.jpg

Effect - +2 Defense

Location - In the Volcano Store, but it for 680 coins. 

Edited by Hazard

11/29 - Cardinal

2mzc09.jpg

Effect - Brings you the Boomerang and 3 Weapons ; Pointy Sword in the Industrial Castle, Fishing Rod in the Marsh, and the Key Sword in Full Moon

Location - At the very end of Industrial Castle, you will fight a Beefy Brute mini-boss. The Cardinal is following it, and becomes available to pick up after you kill the Beefy Brute.

12/29 - Burly Bear

2957sc4.jpg

Effect - +2 Strength

Location - Return to Tall Grass Field after you have Bombs and Sandwiches. Right before you climb up the cliff, use a sandwich to throw the huge boulder out of the way.  Go inside the hidden cave that is revealed.  There is a smaller, cracked boulder on the northern wall.  Blow up this boulder with bombs and go inside the gap.  Walk to the right in this gap to pick up Burly Bear.

13/29 - Giraffey

11uj02c.jpg

Effect - x1.1 EXP Boost

Location - In the Desert, there are many dig spots.  In one of the dig spots near the end of the level, it is buried underground.  Unbury it with the shovel to make it yours.

14/29 - InstallBall

5u2z6d.jpg

Effect - Occasionally shoots enemies with a plasma ball

Location - On the Alien Ship, there is a gap in the wall after the toilet but before the smoke pillars.  Enter this gap and walk to the right to pick up InstallBall.

15/29 - Zebra  

fc5fsx.jpg

Effect - Finds hidden food in the grass

Location - After the Alien Ship, you enter the Desert Chase stage.  Once you get to the cutscene where you see a Saracen running away on a camel, you can see the Zebra following it.  Chase after the Saracen [ON FOOT!] and kill it to make the Zebra available to pick up.

Edited by Hazard

16/29 - Scratchpaw

1z4hnhd.jpg

Effect - +1 Strength, +2 Agility

Location - In the Sand Castle Interior, there is a very obvious crack on the wall.  Use two bombs on it and go through the passageway to pick up Scratchpaw.

17/29 - Mr. Buddy

2lau2as.jpg

Effect - Lets you dig faster...

Location - Return to the Home Castle, after you get the shovel.  Once you start the level, head left to return to the Barracks.  Go all the way to the left in the barracks, and there is a dig spot on the hay bale. 

18/29 - Frogglet

311uhb5.jpg

Effect - Picks up items on the ground with its tongue and brings them to you

Location - In the first area of the Marsh, there is a dig spot in front of a house.

19/29 - Snailburt

2m43nkl.jpg

Effect - +5 Defense, -5 Agility

Location - In the Marsh, right before the Peasants and Civilians help you with the Snakeys, Snailburt is in plain sight waiting for you.

20/29 - Piggy

mmzs5z.jpg

Effect - Doubles the effect of food [1.5x for Turkies]

Location - In the Swamp Village Store, purchase Piggy for 585 coins.

Edited by Hazard

21/29 - Hawkster

1zwgk21.jpg

Effect - Bring you food from every single enemy's corpse.

Location - Return to Tall Grass Field once again after getting the Horn.  One of the huts has a horn sign next to it.  Use the horn there, and Hawkster will come out and be available to pick up

22/29 - Chicken

n3revs.jpg

Effect - +1 Strength, +1 Defense, +1 Agility

Location - At the very start of Medusa's Lair, it is hidden under a dig spot.

23/29 - Beholder

2uytag3.jpg

Effect - +2 Magic

Location - Bring the Cardinal to Full Moon.  Near the end of the level, it will bring you a weapon bag that contains the Key Sword.  Holding the Key Sword, go to the Animal Ark at the Blacksmith.  Attacking the locked door with the Key Sword will open the door.  Beholder is waiting inside for you.

24/29 - Yeti

2llya69.jpg

Effect - Grants immunity to freezing

Location - At the end of Snow World,  go to the house on the far right.  The Yeti is hiding behind the house.

25/29 - BiPolar Bear

5v9ov7.jpg

Effect - Murders anything with 11% or less HP

Location - Use the Horn on the entrance to the Ice Castle at the end of Snow World. BiPolar Bear will come out of the entrance and be available to pick up.

Edited by Hazard

26/29 - Pazzo

29eljev.jpg

Effect - Finds hidden dig spots/show you where dig spots are

Location - In the Snow Store, buy Pazzo for 750 coins.

If you are playing on Xbox, Animal Handler will unlock after getting Pazzo.

27/29 - Pelter

aum9f.jpg

Effect - Occasionally shoots Ice Balls at enemies

Location - On Xbox, buy the King Pack.  On Playstation, buy it in the Insane Store for 5500 coins.

28/29 - Dragonhead

2d83z10.jpg

Effect - Occasionally shoots Fire Balls at enemies

Location - On Xbox, but the Necromantic Pack. On Playstation, but it in the Insane Store for 5500 coins.

If you are playing on Playstation, Animal Handler will unlock after getting these two.

29/29 - Golden Whale

2qduefb.jpg

Effect - Poops out 1 coin every 30 seconds

Location - Buy the Can't Stop Crying DLC.

Edited by Hazard

Hazard's Pet Tiers

Amazing (S - Tier)

1. Scratchpaw - Scratchpaw increases the two most important stats for Insane Mode, and it should definitely be used after reaching Level 99 (Or any other desired level). On top of that, when combining this and the Snakey Mace, the stat bonuses equate to +6 Strength, +5 Magic, and +5 Agility; all it sacrifices is 3 Defense. 

AND

Hawkster - Hawkster is one of the most used pets in the game.  It is very good and is easily one of the best pets; it gives a exp boost similar to Giraffey. The extra food it gives makes surviving much easier if you get hit constantly.

3. Piggy - Piggy is very similar to Hawkster, but it typically overshadowed.  It is only the very best pet for the Necrosane fight, but it is a valuable part for any 4 or 2 player team.

4. Monkeyface - Monkeyface combined with Piggy and Hawkster makes a 3-Headed monster for any group.  It makes food drops very common, and with the second food from Hawkster, all of the players would have trouble dying.

5. Giraffey - Giraffey makes you level up faster.  Quite obviously, this makes it amazing.  Personally, I used this pet 100% of the time from level 1 to level 99 on every character.  However, it loses all purpose once your level is maxed.

Great (A - Tier)

6. BiPolar Bear - This popular pet is absolute garbage.  People think 'Wow it kills bosses at low health, and it prevents overkill on enemies?  That sounds great!'  In reality, it murders you on Insane Mode more often than the enemies themselves do. I remember one time was playing with a cousin using this for the Necrosane fight, and it killed us both after the 2nd wave.  Nobody should get killed by something that is supposed to help them.  However, despite all this, it does deserve to be this high. It saves at least a few minutes on every boss fight.  Don't use it outside of boss stages though.

7. Snoot & Burly Bear - These two are identical, and they are both pretty good.  +2 Strength is always helpful to have, and it will make your Insane Mode troubles much easier.

9. Meowburt - +3 Agility is helpful, plain and simple.  It helps your dodging ability and arrow damage immensely.

10. Chicken - The Chicken seems great on paper, but it would be better if it focused its bonuses into one stat.

Edited by Hazard

Good (B - Tier)

11. Spiny - +2 Defense is less helpful than Agility or Strength, but it has its niche.

12. Bitey Bat - This pet is nice for starting juggles and temporarily freezing enemies.

13. Yeti & Rammy - These are the two best arena pets (Block Blue and Red knight spammers, respectively), but the arena is only one part of the game.  They are relatively useless outside of that.

15. Beholder - Magic is the worst stat, so the magic boosting pet is the least helpful out of them.

Ok (C - Tier)

16. Troll - If you have enough patience, you can regenerate to full health after every single wave of enemies.  It just doesn't heal enough to be amazing.

17. Owlet & Zebra - It isn't often that you find trees or grass, but when you do, it's a nice health boost.

19. Pazzo & Cardinal - Use each of these two all the way through a play-through, but don't use them anymore later because they become worthless after getting everything they offer.

Edited by Hazard

Bad (D - Tier)

21. Frogglet - It picks up items when you get it lined up with the item, and it brings them to you.  However, they can be intercepted and they don't find anything extra. 

22. Seahorse - It is helpful for the River Rapids and Flooded Temple, nothing more than that.

23. Golden Whale - It's nice to be AFK having the whale aiming at you to get free money if you are away for a few hours.  It's not good though if you are actually playing.

24. Mr. Buddy - It's good in Treasure Arena, nothing else.

25. Snailburt - This is the first Animal Orb that does more harm than good.  It is above the others because it actually has a good use at one point.  It's +5 Defense is amazing when you have no points in agility. 

Horrible (F - Tier)

26. Sherbert - This one makes juggles harder to start because of the awkward high jump.  It is very hard, but it is possible to use.

27. InstallBall, Pelter & Dragonhead - These three don't attack often, but when they do, they mess something up.  Usually in your juggles, these 3 knock enemies out of your juggle.

Edited by Hazard

Hazard's Top 10 Animal Orbs

1. Scratchpaw

2. Hawkster

3. Piggy

4. Meowburt

5. Rammy

6. Meowburt

7. Snoot/Burly Bear

8. Chicken

9. Giraffey

10. Bitey Bat

Aichomancer's Top 10 Animal Orbs

1. BiPolar Bear

2. Hawkster

3. Piggy

4. Meowburt

5. Bitey Bat

6. Scratchpaw

7. Chicken

8. Rammy

9. Yeti

10. Snoot/Burly Bear

Edited by Hazard

Isn't Scatchpaw the best since it increases strength and agility? I see a lot a good players using it (including myself), so is it as good as it seems?

Just finished the guide and tiers!  Please leave your feedback, and changes that you think should be made. 

• Upvote 1

BiPolar Bear... Garbage?

Hawkster... 2ND PLACE?!?! (He deserves 1st.)

I'm sorry, but this is nothing that I would expect. For the most part, you're right, but I disagree with BiPolar Bear. He is great for boss fights, and my friend and I bring him on the Insane Frost King fight. He will maul him, getting rid of 11,000 health. He is the best for boss fights, but not really for a normal level. Thus he doesn't deserve an F. 

Also, Hawkster is much better then you'd think. He is better then Scratchpaw by a long shot. As well as having a healing ability, he pecks enemies on the ground. His pecks do 1 damage, and give you 5 XP per peck. Thus, making him much better for XP farming then Girrafey. He hits enemies 1-4 times, which gives you 20 XP at max potential. You'd have to hit someone 200 times in order to get that much XP with Girrafey. 

As a bonus, Hawkster can transfer crits and elemental effects. He is the best pet I know of.

EDIT: Here is my Steam Guide for Animal Orbs. Some of it is slightly outdated, so tell me if something is a bit off.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484753116

Edited by U-Knighted

Another great guide Hazard!

BiPolar Bear in F :cry: *snik* ... easily my favorite pet for insane! For many reasons but the main reason @U-Knighted already posted.. frost king (& corn boss).

Also, Hawkster is much better then you'd think. He is better then Scratchpaw by a long shot. As well as having a healing ability, he pecks enemies on the ground. His pecks do 1 damage, and give you 5 XP per peck. Thus, making him much better for XP farming then Girrafey. He hits enemies 1-4 times, which gives you 20 XP at max potential. You'd have to hit someone 200 times in order to get that much XP with Girrafey. 

As a bonus, Hawkster can transfer crits and elemental effects. He is the best pet I know of.

5XP per peck? Source? I think each peck just is 1XP and a total of 1-4XP. On insane this obviously doubles.

Another great guide Hazard!

BiPolar Bear in F :cry: *snik* ... easily my favorite pet for insane! For many reasons but the main reason @U-Knighted already posted.. frost king (& corn boss).

5XP per peck? Source? I think each peck just is 1XP and a total of 1-4XP. On insane this obviously doubles.

I've tested it and the wiki says it as well. He gives 4 bonus xp on his peck.

I don't see why you guys like BP Bear, but I do agree that I made a mistake with Hawkster.

Because of some of you guys disagreeing with the tiers, I'll make 2 changes.  A   ) - Put Hawkster and Scratchpaw tied at 1; neither can justifiably be put below that.  and B   ) - Bump BP Bear to A,he definitely doesn't deserve to be in the Top 5.  

Edited by Hazard

A problem I see with Hawkster and XP, is he takes a while to fly to the enemy and can often go with out even pecking the enemy, compared to giraffrey, who gives 1 xp no matter what happens. Hawkster doesn't seem to always get food, since sometimes if you juggle an enemy until they die, he doesn't take food. He is still a great animal orb, but I think he should stay at #2

• Upvote 1

A problem I see with Hawkster and XP, is he takes a while to fly to the enemy and can often go with out even pecking the enemy, compared to giraffrey, who gives 1 xp no matter what happens. Hawkster doesn't seem to always get food, since sometimes if you juggle an enemy until they die, he doesn't take food. He is still a great animal orb, but I think he should stay at #2

Well, I did a quick re-run of my tests. Hawkster DOES NOT give you bonus XP. What is up with the Steam community? There are so many rumors going around that aren't true. But he still DOES do 1 damage on his pecks, which is a tiny bit of extra XP. So Girrafey is better then hawkster for farming. 

• Upvote 4

Well, I did a quick re-run of my tests. Hawkster DOES NOT give you bonus XP. What is up with the Steam community? There are so many rumors going around that aren't true. But he still DOES do 1 damage on his pecks, which is a tiny bit of extra XP. So Girrafey is better then hawkster for farming. 

Obviously, our community is the smartest.  Steam loves using rumors as fact (it's really easy starting rumors that get tones of traction once you have enough high levels and gold skulls.  I did it for the Ninja and a few other characters, and some of the Animal Orbs 4 years ago. I never thought that they would be considered THE truth.  I've been trying to stop it recently to get things back to how they should be ; Red, Blue, Eskimo, Industrialist, and Fencer as the best characters).  Don't even get me started on CastleWiki.  For being on "official" information source, I don't know how they can be considered even close to reliable.  It's harder to find truth than it is to find random made-up facts.

I know that Hawkster does get some extra exp, but Giraffey is definitely the way to go IF you are not having trouble.

• Upvote 3

Obviously, our community is the smartest.  Steam loves using rumors as fact (it's really easy starting rumors that get tones of traction once you have enough high levels and gold skulls.  I did it for the Ninja and a few other characters, and some of the Animal Orbs 4 years ago. I never thought that they would be considered THE truth.  I've been trying to stop it recently to get things back to how they should be ; Red, Blue, Eskimo, Industrialist, and Fencer as the best characters).  Don't even get me started on CastleWiki.  For being on "official" information source, I don't know how they can be considered even close to reliable.  It's harder to find truth than it is to find random made-up facts.

I know that Hawkster does get some extra exp, but Giraffey is definitely the way to go IF you are not having trouble.

I don't really go to castlewiki; it's greatly outdated. I prefer castlecrashers.wikia.com. Fanmade, but more accurate.

I don't really go to castlewiki; it's greatly outdated. I prefer castlecrashers.wikia.com. Fanmade, but more accurate.

Get me out of the quote train!

I can't wait for the main guide, will it be like TFK's Insane Mode Guide?

Get me out of the quote train!

I can't wait for the main guide, will it be like TFK's Insane Mode Guide?

I vote for him to do a guide on.... EVERYTHING! :o