GoldenGhost

The October 2015 Smash Bros Tricks & Treats Doubles Tournament

The October 2015 Smash Bros "Tricks & Treats" Tournament
Thought about calling this one the "2spooky" Doubles Tournament, cuz doubles is 2, ya know? But anyways I couldn't bring myself to do it

Date & Time: October 25th (Sunday) at 6PM EST / 3PM PST

-Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS (you can use either! or both!)
-2v2 Team matches (No friendly fire)
-2 stocks per player per match (Sharing stocks is permitted)
-Rounds will be best of 3, except for finals and grand finals which will be ???????
-Double Elimination
-No items
-Stages will be randomly-picked based on nominations from participants (Pretty much just like last time but with restrictions)
-No custom moves or equipment
-All characters are permitted, including Mii fighters
-No jons, they are strictly prohibited and offenders will be punished with death... death by exile!!
-This is very much a "For Glory"-inspired tournament... but don't drop your guard, there will be tricks that are yet to be revealed!

Prizes:
Grand Winner gets the next Super Smash Bros DLC Bundle for free! That includes all of the characters/stages/Mii costumes they include in that bundle, and for both consoles! Totally free!
(You can swap this prize for signature swag if you want to though)

Awards will be dealt out to deserving participants after the tournament as well!

- - - - - Special Rules for this Tournament - - - - -
I recommend looking through these to avoid confusion later on; I've kept them pretty brief since people have complained about my tendency to write huge chunks of text here (you're welcome A C Cret). If you want further clarification on anything, check the FAQ's to see if I answered it and then ask me in a PM or in the thread if you're still confused.

- - - - - Illegal stages - - - - -

You have to nominate a stage that'll be used in the tournament when you sign up. Here's a general list of stages you CANNOT nominate:

- Stages that scroll
    - Pac Land
    - Dream Land
    - Mushroomy Kingdom
   - (Just an FYI, I don't consider Pirate Ship to be a scrolling stage)
- Stages with recruitable fighters
    - Magicant
    - Pyrosphere
- Stages with excessive amounts of obstacles
    - 75m
    - Balloon Fighter
- Stages that are extremely large
    - The Great Cave Offensive
- Stages that don't work online
    - Miiverse
- Other stages
    - Battlefield
    - Final Destination
    - Omega versions of stages
    - Custom stages

Any stage not explicitly mentioned on this list should be legal, but if I decide to add or remove stages from the ban list then I'll make sure everyone knows. Feel free to ask if you're unsure about whether certain stages are legal or not.

DLC stages are permitted! However, if you do not own DLC stages, you won't be forced to buy them!
(But really though, why don't you own them?)

- - - - - 2v2 Matches - - - - -

Standard stuff, we've done this before.
You sign up as a team with one other person. Each match will be a 2-on-2 battle with 2 stocks per person, and rounds will be the best of 3 matches. During matches, you can share stocks between you and your teammate. Please make sure friendly fire is off though; you and your teammate should not be able to hurt each other.

Make sure you and your partner have compatible versions of Smash Bros; it wouldn't be very handy to sign up with someone who only has the 3DS version when you only have the Wii U version.

No changes can be made to teams once the tournament has begun.
- If your partner drops out before the tournament or doesn't show up, your team will not be allowed to compete unless a replacement is found.
- If your partner drops out in the middle of the tournament, you must continue on your own.
- Additionally, you may not replace your partner with a computer fighter.

- - - - - Double Elimination - - - - -

Double elimination rules are pretty simple; basically if you lose one round, you still have another chance to keep playing and win the grand prize.

There will be a Winner's Bracket (WB) and a Loser's Bracket (LB); everyone starts in the WB. Obviously, if you win, you advance in your bracket. Losing in the WB drops you to the LB, and losing in the LB eliminates you from the tournament. The winning team of the WB (Winner's finals) is named the "Winner", and the winner of the LB (Loser's finals) will face off against the Winner to determine the Grand Champion (Grand Finals).

- - - - - ? ? ? - - - - -

OH NO! YOU'VE BEEN

tumblr_static_dancing_tophat_skeleton_t.

SPOOKED

- - - - - Sign-ups - - - - -
In order to sign up, please include:
- the name of your teammate
- your spooky team name
- the console(s) that you are able to use in the tournament
- the stage you would like to nominate for the tournament (nominate one stage on each console you're using please)
- your favorite horror game/movie/show/book/comic/etc.

That's it, unless you haven't given me your friend code, NNID or Skype info for another tournament, in which case please include that as well. Otherwise I'm just gonna be pulling peoples' info from past tournaments, so don't sweat getting it again.

Note: The deadline to sign up will be at 11:59PM PST of the night before the tournament, so make sure you sign up before then!

- - - - - FAQ's - - - - -

:evil: The scheduled time doesn't work for me, guess I can't participate then huh?
Not true. All you have to do is speak up and I will make an effort to reschedule. Please do this sooner rather than later though since it gets really tough to reschedule close to the scheduled date.

:twisted: Pssst... How do I share stocks with my teammate? Whisper it in my ear!
If you have 0 stocks and your partner has more than 1, you can hit A+B to take one of his/her stocks and use it on yourself. This is permitted, although you should discuss with your teammate when this is and isn't acceptable to do.

:evil: What if I'm having problems during my matches?
First of all, report it to me, no matter how small the incident. It's usually a case-by-case thing, but here are some general guidelines:
If it's something accidental like someone forgot to turn items off or picked the wrong stage, just restart that match and keep going.
If someone appears to have disconnected, redo the match once. If it happens again, the round is an automatic victory for the person that didn't disconnect.
If your match is extremely laggy, report the situation to me. We've had cases where people had to troubleshoot their internet during the tournament and that's fine, but if it takes longer than 20 or so minutes, we'll have to move on.
If someone is a L33T hacker and is playing as Shovel Knight with a rocket launcher, they will get kicked out.

:twisted: How will the bracket work? How will stages be picked? Where am I?
Depending on how many people sign up, I may do some interesting things with the bracket. For now though, I'd say don't worry about it. I'll definitely have a bracket for people to look at on the day of the tournament.
Stages will be picked on the day of the tournament and those will be made available at the start of the rounds.

:evil: Hey diggity dawg, can I link my Challonge account?
Gonna say no for now since I'm still not sure what the bracket looks like. Might turn into a yes later on though, so stay alert!

:twisted: How will we be communicating during the tournament? My carrier pidgeon is sick...
I will create a Skype chat for the tournament and we will use that. (Please do not post in the tournament Skype chat until I announce it's okay to do so!)
To communicate with your team and opponent during your matches, please use a private Skype message instead of using the main tournament group chat. It's important to communicate with everyone without filling up the main chat. Feel free to use the in-game voice chat if you want, but it's not required.

:evil: How can I prepare for this tournament? I've been lifting weights, but I still suck!
First of all, make sure you add everyone who's participating in the tournament to your Skype account and your 3DS/Wii U friends list so you don't have to do that later. Don't be shy, we're all friends here! Also, make sure your copy of Smash Bros is updated to have the latest version. Please don't wait until your matches are starting to do this.
Other than that, pick a main and train! Rip that ultra-collectible Japanese R.O.B. Amiibo out of its box and use it! Maybe practice with multiple characters so you can switch if one doesn't seem to be working out against a particular opponent. Practice with your teammate if you wanna have some sick "wombo combos", as the youngsters call them.

:twisted: Since this is a doubles tournament, will both members of the winning team get the prize of the free DLC bundle?
You're right that this is a doubles tournament... but I don't recall ever saying the grand champion would be a team, let alone there being more than one grand champion at all ;-) There will be tricks! You'll see!!!

:evil: Your awards are trash and I hate them. Can I create a cooler award for your tournament?
Absolutely! If you're interested in creating an award for this tournament, let me know in a PM. Having guest awards with different styles of art would be pretty rad. I can even help you come up with a title or an accomplishment for it to be based on if you'd like.

- - - - - The Official Sign-up List - - - - -

Spooky Pocket Pickers
Dropped Your Pocket (Wii U/3DS)
  2/2 stages nominated
  NNID: DropdUrPocket
  3DS Friend Code: 2191 - 7933 - 7696
I can't play Mother 3 (Wii U)
  1/1 stages nominated
  NNID: Hyperninja

Snuggly Wifflers
Isaac (Wii U)
  1/1 stages nominated
  NNID: TurkeyScrub
Scaler193 (Wii U)
  1/1 stages nominated
  NNID: FlamingPaperCup

Totally Balanced
A C Cret (3DS)
  1/1 stages nominated
  3DS Friend Code: 2320 - 6361 - 3224
True213 (3DS)
  0/1 stage nominated
  3DS Friend Code: 2294 - 5231 - 8001

Damned Fiddles
Chris (Wii U/3DS)
  2/2 stages nominated
  NNID: ChrisTheNinjer
  3DS Friend Code: 0946 - 2724 - 5736
AdamBRT (Wii U/3DS)
  2/2 stages nominated
  NNID: ChrisTheNinjer
  3DS Friend Code: 2079 - 6290 - 4792

daikonboy101 & Shrylniuk
daikonboy101 (Wii U/3DS)
  2/2 stages nominated
  NNID: Daikatana64
  3DS Friend Code: 1220 - 7285 - 8257
Shrylniuk (3DS)
  0/1 stages nominated
  3DS Friend Code: 4485 - 0865 - 3786

- - - - - The Official Stage Pool - - - - -
Wii U:
- Town and City
- Smashville
- Kalos Pokemon League
- Dreamland 64
- Wily's Castle
- Boxing Arena
- Pilotwings
- Halberd

3DS:
- Corneria
- Mute City
- Wily's Castle
- Boxing Arena
- Prism Tower

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The current sign-up deadline is October 24th at 11:59 PM PST!

Good luck!

Update: This tournament is over! Here's the tournament bracket:

fgAqtgb.png

Congrats to our grand winner:

True213!

• Upvote 1

ICPM3 (Gareth)
Spooky Pocket Pickers
Wii U and 3DS
Town and City (Wii U), Corneria (3DS)
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie is pretty friggin sweet.

Also, more people need to sign up for this spooky tourny.  It's gonna be fun!

Teamie: Scaler

Team Name: Snuggly Wifflers

System: Wii U

Stageroo: Smashville

Movie: The Shining from Steven King. The movie still gives me chills.

Edited by Isaac

I gatta' work that weekend, so I can't join.  :-(

Looks like fun, though. Good luck, everyone!

If there's a time that works for you we can always reschedule. Its happened a lot before and we wanna have as many spooky contenders as possible

If there's a time that works for you we can always reschedule. Its happened a lot before and we wanna have as many spooky contenders as possible

Well that week I only have the 26th & 27th free. That means I could play either the Sunday or Monday night, which I realise isn't exactly ideal for most people here because of school and college and whatnot.  :oops:

Well that week I only have the 26th & 27th free. That means I could play either the Sunday or Monday night, which I realise isn't exactly ideal for most people here because of school and college and whatnot.  :oops:

I'll see what people think about bumping it to the 25th instead (same time of day, unless it's more convenient for it to be earlier) and I'll make an announcement if the date changes. Wouldn't want ya to miss out!

Sunday the 25th at 5PM CST (same time) would work fine for me, I don't know about anyone else, though.  I just want enough people to sign up for this dang tourny.  If we don't get enough teams, couldn't we always just switch it to a singles tourny, too?

Actually Sunday would work a lot better for myself as well. As I usually work Saturdays and would have to get a morning shift to make it in time. This would save me the trouble.

Alright, since it seems to be more convenient for everyone, the date for the tournament has been changed to Sunday October 25th!

On a side note: I don't mind if people look for teammates in this thread this time around, so feel free to make a post saying you're looking for someone to compete with if you're in that situation.

• Upvote 2

- - - - - Special Rules for this Tournament - - - - -

I recommend looking through these to avoid confusion later on; I've kept them pretty brief since people have complained about my tendency to write huge chunks of text here (you're welcome A C Cret). If you want further clarification on anything, check the FAQ's to see if I answered it and then ask me in a PM or in the thread if you're still confused.

A tourney so spoopy it can bring even the dead back to life...

"Team" mate: True (I'm like 99% certain here, correct me if I'm wrong)

Team name: Totally Balanced

System: 3DS loud and proud and usually alone

Stage: Mute City

Movie: I mean, I've always loved Insidious, but I'm the person who usually doesn't flinch and just laughs at the cheap looking gore :-P

Edited by A C Cret

Since more people need to sign up so there will be at least a decent fight for second place (since there's no way me and Turkey wont win this easy mode), I'm going to opt in and offer some sweet Scaler tier signature swag awards this time around. This will be my own thing and you can still get goodies from ol GoldenGhost, but trust me. My awards are pretty sweet and getting an award from the king of the forums will look pretty good on your resume.

• Upvote 4

Since more people need to sign up so there will be at least a decent fight for second place (since there's no way me and Turkey wont win this easy mode), I'm going to opt in and offer some sweet Scaler tier signature swag awards this time around. This will be my own thing and you can still get goodies from ol GoldenGhost, but trust me. My awards are pretty sweet and getting an award from the king of the forums will look pretty good on your resume.

r u avvin a giggle m8?

Me and Adam will be joining this one too, so y'all better be ready for a thrashing.  :evil:

But it's getting late and stuff, so I'll post my sign-up details tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

If anybody wants to have a very unreliable partner who may or may not show up because they're such a cool dood, then I'll be your partner and we'll win because Scaler and Turkey and Chris and Adam all smell like poopy diarrhea.

• Upvote 2

Friendly reminder that there's a week left to sign up! I've seen a number of people say they want to participate but haven't actually signed up, so be sure to do that!

I'm with AC Cret. My 3DS just died on me so I will post info later... Or just refer to the Master ID List topic.

Skupe: smashfinale

Alright well since we're down to the last few days, I'm sending out PMs to people who have expressed interest in signing up but haven't done so. I don't care so much about team names and stuff as I do about people committing to it, so if you wanna join (regardless of whether you have a partner or not), just say "YO" and I'll get you set up

I'm most likely able to participate, but I don't have a partner. Anybody?

I'd totally do that, but I'm trying to sit out for right now so that I can jump in if someone's partner can't make it. If it comes to be Saturday and no one's signed up with you though, then I'll join ya! You can count on it!

• Upvote 2

Aight it looks like you already took care of mine and Adam's sign-ups, GoldenGhost (thank you!)

Here's the last few details:

Team name: Damned Fiddles

Stage: Wily Castle (WiiU&3DS)

And my favourite horror movie...does Cabin in the Woods count? That movie was cool...not very spoopy though.

• Upvote 2

Stage: Boxing Arena (Both Wii-U and 3DS)

Favorite horror movie: The Grudge

Edited by AdamBRT

I instituted an account simply so I could partake in this tournament. I have been quite fond of Doubles tournaments and acknowledged that this was coming in due time. 

However, there is a slight issue present. I do not possess a partner.

• Upvote 1

For the time being:

Console - 3DS.

Stage nomination - No preference.

NNID - Vetridar

Friend code: 4485-0865-3786

My Skype username quite likely should not be disclosed publicly.