Sign in to follow this  
Nonaims

Castle Crashers in OXM

I just recieved tha latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine (Oct. '08). In it we get prviews of Duke Nukem 3D Arcade, Gears of War 2, Halo Wars, and more; an article on earning 10,000 Gamerpoints in one day; an article on tha New Xbox Experience; and reviews of Star Wars: the Force Unleashed, Pure, Soulcalibur IV, and all of tha Summer of Arcade games (BC Rearmed, Braid, Geo Wars 2, ...no Galaga?) plus, you guessed it, CASTLE CRASHERS!

Tha game got a 8.5 (out of 10 -er, 11, whutever) which is considered Great (a gret game and an A-list title, but it either has niche appeal, sufers from minor technical or design issues, or has peripheral problems like a crummy interface).

For those of you not familiar with OXM's reviews, they have a verdict box after tha article with a few pros and cons. Castle Crashers got: +Exiting four-player co-op in a beatifully funky world. +Loads of collectible characters, weapons, and animal orbs. -Repetitive waves of combat and poorly balanced solo difficulty. ?Why does every animal in the game seem to be on laxatives?

Its a full page review (pg. 76 for those've you who just want to rip it out at your local newsstand -wait, did I say that?) and they seem to dig it. Defenetly worth a read.

Ever since OXM rated Fight Night Round 3 as their very first 10 out of 10, they have lost all credibility with me.

Let's just bump that number on CC up to... 9.5 out of 11. >_>

Sounds like all the things I figured might be bad about Castle Crashers, and since they're basically confirming it, that means everything else will be AWESOME. :D

-Repetitive waves of combat and poorly balanced solo difficulty

Ick...I was fearing the "repetitive" part. Can't say I didn't see it coming from the gameplay vids I've seen of CC. I was just hoping that was due to the videos all being low level. :oops: Still buying it to see for myself, as I'm sure it'll provide hours of fun, even if it is a bit repetitive.

Heh, every animal is on laxatives, classic. I personally get a kick out of those stupid poop jokes. They only get old if repeated too much.

As for repetitive and hard solo gameplay, that's only going to be the beginning. After that, you get better and it's not as hard, and the repetitive is expected from a side scrolling beat em' up. I expect slight or massive repeats, but a good gaming mechanic covers that with fun.

OXM gave us one of our lowest alien hominid HD scores, so if this is one of our lowest for castle that would be kinda cool!! :lol:

Repetitive is an objective term. It's not necessarily always a bad thing.

Pardon me, but if you had repeatedly wild and adventurous evenings with one of the most attractive women on the planet, would you consider that bad?

It's a beat em' up what were they expecting? you fight kill then fight some more!!!! the problem with having so many characters is that there is no time to build like a skill tree to make each character level up and have many different magics... but that's ok the game is AWESOME imo... it's a beat em' up and that's all I want from it.

Repetitive is an objective term. It's not necessarily always a bad thing.

Pardon me, but if you had repeatedly wild and adventurous evenings with one of the most attractive women on the planet, would you consider that bad?

Only if she moaned the entire time about how much her feet hurt :lol:

Remember kids, repetitive epicness is still epic.

Definatly. I mean c'mon OXM its a beat em up. What did you expect? Mind melting puzzles and deep storytelling?

As for unbalanced solo gameplay...level up more?

Whatever. Good score is still a good score right :D

Remember kids, repetitive epicness is still epic.

Pretty much what I was thinking. :D

And that is what I would expect to a point from a beat em up. FPS are even repetitive game play, and they get good reviews sometimes. What kinda genre isn't repetitive is some way.

Oh well, CC is still gonna be awesome.

OXM gave us one of our lowest alien hominid HD scores, so if this is one of our lowest for castle that would be kinda cool!! :lol:

Those bastards!

But really, its a side scroller beat um up.

Of course theres going to be repetitive aspects.

I also don't have faith in this review solely because they didn't even comment on the art...hello its all HAND DRAWN BY ONE MAN!

I know its all about Castle Crashers here, but what did they give to The Force Unleashed?

7.5, nevermind! But reading the bullet points on that review is a bit weird. I mean, it says it is not as polished as the Jedi Knight games, but the thing is none of the Jedi Knight games were really polished. None. I've edited all of those games in that series to kingdom come and as fun as they were, polished isn't a word I would use to describe them.

I digress, but it does bring up the question about that review, which can bring about questions to other reviews. See? Made it relate somehow :P

I find most magazine reviews to be worthless these days, it's either an abuse of the "7-9" scoring system or a soapbox for the reviewer to spew hyperbole one way or another, depending on their personal preference for the genre, studio or title in question.

As others have said, stating that a 4 player coop beatemup is repetitive and has an increased difficulty when soloing is pretty hilarious. If that's the worst they can find with the game, and they reviewed AH low as Dan says, it sounds like it will have a very wide appeal indeed.

Which is why I am going to spam my friends list with "recommend this game" the instant I hit the CC demo! Funnel your spacebucks to the Behemoth, their mascot is looking kind of skinny! :lol: