Roy-G-Biv

The Anime & Manga Club~

Oh man... Prison School. I'll be watching that with headphones and a closed door and two friends. I'll also check out God Eater since ufotable.

I've watched Angel Beats, I've watched Clannad, I've watched hundreds of anime and never once shed a tear. But for the first time last night, watching Hunter x Hunter I teared up. Major spoilers ahead so I suggest watching the anime first before reading my downfall, since Hunter x Hunter is seriously an amazing series.

I finally teared up with the downfall of the Royal Guard and Meruems death. In particular Poufs death really got to me. The entire time he was trying to defend that secret, trying to keep his almighty ruler as the almighty ruler, but within the last few minutes of his life the secret is revealed and he completely breaks down. He doesn't move, and he doesnt even get revenge on Wolfin, he just crys because he knows that the King is forever lost now. You later see his body assumably trying to go after the King but the poison gets to him mid way and his body just slumped over, still with that look of terror on his face. Mereums and Komugis death was on a whole other level though. They play a game until death, its what they truely wanted. Mereum throws everything away to be with Komugi in his final moments, and Komugi throws her life away to be with the King until the end. This is all they truely wanted, but they never would be allowed to have their moment. The poison spreads to both of them and they die together. It really made me tear up. Honestly, I couldn't ask for a better end for Mereum, the strongest character in the HxH universe, but I truely wished to see him and Komugi move on and live peacefully. But that couldn't happen, and thats why it hurts so much.

• Upvote 1

Mawaru Penguindrum is super confusing, I didn't get most of the metaphors. Thankfully it's fabulous max.

However, Madoka is also very fabulous and I understood it. I guess I'll consider it better for now.

I discovered that the entire Yugioh series is on Hulu for free, so lately I've been watching the heck out of that. I watched it so much as a kid but I missed like half of the episodes since I could only watch it on VHS tapes I rented from the library (and they never had the entire show to rent, only the same few handfuls of episodes).

Anyways I think it's a totally rad show but I kinda doubt someone my age now would enjoy watching it for the first time unless they were really motivated to do so. Plus everyone is a damn cheater at Duel Monsters but whatever, I'm watching it purely for nostalgia. My favorite duel is the one in Battle City with Yugi vs Strings, where he gets Slifer the Sky Dragon to kill itself. That duel made me want Revival Jam so bad until I found out that card is actually terrible.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the great part about the yugioh anime is that it came out before they actually came up with rules for the actual Yugioh TCG/OCG so on the show they are constantly doing things that make no sense like "Oh this card turns the field into water so your monsters can't actually see my shark monsters now because hey, they're sharks." They also use a lot of cards that don't even exist in the actual TCG/OCG. They just kind of do whatever they want for plot relevance, which is interesting since that show is mainly designed to advertise cards anyway.

I actually watched the first season of Sword Art Online, twice (once on my own and then once with a friend), and that was.. something... not bad I guess, just really weird towards the end, not sure if I'd recommend, though my friend who never watches anime really liked it despite some weird incest-y stuff that takes over in the second half.

So my brother introduced me to a manga called Uzumaki, and it's the most amazing thing I've ever read (to be fair, it doesn't have much competition). It's a horror... thing about a town that is haunted by spirals.

Spirals.

Each chapter basically integrates spirals into really gruesome deaths. Some seem a bit forced. Clearly the writer (Junji Ito) had ideas that had nothing to do with spirals, but he just stuck them in anyway. Like, there's a chapter about babies and placenta, and for some reason the placenta have spirals on them, now, I actually haven't looked that closely at a placenta before, believe it or not, but I'm pretty sure they don't have spirals on them. But anywho.

It's so fab. Everybody should read it.

Edited by daikonboy101
  • Upvote 1

So my brother introduced me to a manga called Uzumaki, and it's the most amazing thing I've ever read (to be fair, it doesn't have much competition). It's a horror... thing about a town that is haunted by spirals.

Spirals.

Each chapter basically integrates spirals into really gruesome deaths. Some seem a bit forced. Clearly the writer (Junji Ito) had ideas that had nothing to do with spirals, but he just stuck them in anyway. Like, there's a chapter about babies and placenta, and for some reason the placenta have spirals on them, now, I actually haven't looked that closely at a placenta before, believe it or not, but I'm pretty sure they don't have spirals on them. But anywho.

Dude I've started reading some Junji Ito lately as well, and everybody here who hasn't read The Enigma of Amigara Fault is missing out. It's a short read, but it's got some pretty freaky stuff.

I also recommend checking out The Human Chair which is also pretty short. I haven't gotten into his longer works yet but I'll definitely start with Uzumaki.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited for the One Punch man anime, but at the same time I dont think it can hold up to the god tier art the manga (second version anyways) has.

I recentlly just finished Durarara X2 Ten, can't wait for part 3 to come out. The author of Durarara is seriouslly one of my favorites, she knows how to write incredibly good character dramas. I hope more of her work gets put into anime format.

• Upvote 1

Spirals.

Dude I've started reading some Junji Ito lately as well, and everybody here who hasn't read The Enigma of Amigara Fault is missing out. It's a short read, but it's got some pretty freaky stuff.

I also recommend checking out The Human Chair which is also pretty short. I haven't gotten into his longer works yet but I'll definitely start with Uzumaki.

I read The Human Chair a while ago. It's pretty creepy, really good too.

The picture that stuck with me the most are definitely the part when you're first learning about what the script says and there's a silhouette in the chair. So creepy.

Also, The Enigma of Amigara Fault was the first thing that I read of his. It's great too. 

I'll say that Uzumaki is a bit less creepy and more... Ridiculous.

It's weird how oddly eerie he can make things that are really pretty silly ideas.

Edited by daikonboy101

(I know it's a really basic anime, but) I think I might start watching Soul Eater, just since I'm really bored... I have never really got in to anime or manga, but I might as well start now.

(I know it's a really basic anime, but) I think I might start watching Soul Eater, just since I'm really bored... I have never really got in to anime or manga, but I might as well start now.

Soul eater is actually a really good anime to start off with if you haven't watched any anime before

• Upvote 1

Soul eater is actually a really good anime to start off with if you haven't watched any anime before

Beware the ending though, all I can say is it's... special compared to the manga.  Fullmetal Alchemist is another good one to start with.

Edit: seems like I quoted myself. Whoops!

Edited by yugo657
  • Upvote 2

I'm excited for the One Punch man anime, but at the same time I dont think it can hold up to the god tier art the manga (second version anyways) has.

I've stayed away from the manga since I found out Madhouse were doing the animation. It probably means I'll enjoy the anime more with nothing to compare it to. When the series ends I'll probably go back and read the manga though, like I usually do with anime I enjoy (...except JJBA. I can't finish PartV. I'm Jojoed out for now, I think).

So... I just watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion, including the End of Evangelion...

Yeah...

So... I just watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion, including the End of Evangelion...

Yeah...

Neon Genisis turned my brother into a freak and I'll never forgive it.

Yeah...

End of Evangelion is a wild ride. I watched the Rebuild of Evangelion movies recently, and while I like some of the changes they've made, I can't help but feel like I'm watching an especially well-made fanfic, especially 3.0. 

Yeah...

End of Evangelion is a wild ride. I watched the Rebuild of Evangelion movies recently, and while I like some of the changes they've made, I can't help but feel like I'm watching an especially well-made fanfic, especially 3.0. 

I actually started with Evangelion Rebuild 1.0 and then decided to watch the series instead. I plan to torture myself with the rest of the Rebuild movies later, just... not right now. My head physically hurts.

Yeah...

I know how you feel dude, Evangelion messed me up pretty bad when I first watched it. I'm curious what you thought of the original ending (episodes 25 and 26); personally I liked it a lot and I think it's a great conclusion to Shinji's character arc, but EoE is definitely the better ending overall.

I dislike the Rebuild movies though, the way they reorganized the plot makes no sense to me and some of the changes they made (like that chick they added, I forget what her name is) seem pointless and hamper the experience rather than augment it. Haven't seen 3.0 though, I'll probably revisit those movies once they're all released.

Rebuild 3.0 is a major departure from the original plot. It's pretty interesting but the way it's set up caused some complaints, with a lot of people calling it a "cop out." Personally, I think it's the best of the Rebuild movies so far, and the animation was beautiful. 

I've been watching one punch man lately, I really liked the manga and it translated well with the story so far in the anime, granted i've only seen the first episode.

• Upvote 1