Sign in to follow this  
The Forgotten Knight

The Future of Gaming

Where do you see it going? To me I feel it's going to be a combination of many things. I feel like Nintendo is going to milk the casual gamer horse until it literally collapses underneath them. Xbox is trying to be a multi-media system, what with the movie rentals and streaming Netflicks. They are supposed to add a radio station before the end of the year. I'm guessing that for the next console generation they will try to make their system double as a cable box as well.

To me Sony is playing catch up but when Bluerays start to go down in price and their game library gets a bit thicker I feel like they'll have more swing in things. Personally I think that they're going to need to improve the PlayStation Network if they're going to beat Microsoft. The promised support for 10 years is a good thing but all three companies have stated that they want this console generation to last longer than the others. I'm guessing we won't start to hear anything about new consoles until at least 2011-2012.

DLC is obviously going to be a trend that's going to be around for a good long time. The only problem is that I see it turning into a microtransaction thing and it doesn't help that I'm seeing more and more developers withhold content from the final game to charge as DLC later. It doesn't help that Microsoft is demanding that everything have a price and that they overcharge about half the time.

Microtransactions are definatly bad for gamers and if it is the wave of the future then I'm switching over to PC gaming. I hate the idea of having to use a keyboard and mouse but I can just port a controller.

That being said I feel that we may need something to break up corporate mindset that is becoming a more and more constant in gaming with a new underdog gaming system. After reading a few articles I think OnLive might be it. Here's the IGN article and the Official Website FAQ. If OnLive can live up to it's promises then I feel that it may just be the next gaming revolution.

What do you guys think?

What I really hope is that we'll have more developers like the Behemoth who will actually spend time to make some amazing, epic games.

Unfortunately, I think every gamer who respects himself will have to turn to the PC eventually.

What I really hope is that we'll have more developers like the Behemoth who will actually spend time to make some amazing, epic games.

Unfortunately, I think every gamer who respects himself will have to turn to the PC eventually.

Boooooooo! Playing on a TV is more fun! (Really, it is.)

When the pixels hit the ceiling, I imagine that developers will attempt to turn to systems such a virtual reality. Now call me old hat but that notion doesn't really excite me at all. I think, as earlier stated, I think that developers should attempt new things and innovate. As I wrote in my blog, without innovation (even the mistakes) game development will not progress, in addition, developers need constructive feedback when a game isn't nearly as good as they'd hoped, but now I'm rambling.

I agree. If there was a way to provide feedback on games as you played them then I think that would help developers out a lot. Of course I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of idiots out there sending messages like "OMG this game sucks!" without any explaination or contstructive criticism.

When the pixels hit the ceiling, I imagine that developers will attempt to turn to systems such a virtual reality.

Project Natal salutes you.

AND NO, BODY MOTION ISNT LIKE A WII-REMOTE.

Just saying.