Sign in to follow this  
Dexide

So I want to improve my drawing skills.

I drew some stuff yesterday, because I'm trying to get better at art. I'm more of a writer than an illustrator, but it's always good to have some art skill. I'm pretty serious about this, even if my art kind of looks like a joke right now. So if you guys would be so kind, would you provide some constructive criticism, some recommendations, and ideas as to what to draw next?

Wolverine and Baraka

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/picture1ag.png/

The Joker (Least favorite, something about it I just dislike. By the way, vest and shirt colors were switched on purpose.)

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/picture2xc.png/

Rorshach and Batman (Alot of color was lost in scanner for some reason)

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/picture3bx.png/

Also, before someone recommends it, I am planning on getting a Wacom and some art programs, but not until I get to the point where my skills are satisfactory and I know it won't just be a total waste of money. Until them I'm using a scanner and colored pencils.

The neck on the figures are kind of big.

are you going more towards cartoony, or lifelike?

I'm not bad with cartoony, but I don't really want that type of style, I'm trying to transfer into realistic.

The neck on the figures are kind of big.

are you going more towards cartoony, or lifelike?

I'm not bad with cartoony, but I don't really want that type of style, I'm trying to transfer into realistic.

ya i know whatcha mean

In my opinion the wolverine and baraka ones are pretty good except for wolverines neck to head size and the way the neck is shaped as well. rorschach is also pretty good.

WALL OF TEXT APPROACHING.

First of all, I feel ya about the scanner. Art really loses something in the digitizing process, i've had that problem many times myself.

Now, I'm going to be pretty critical for a minute here, and I really hope you don't take it as a personal attack or too harshly, since i'm trying to be helpful, not mean. :|

I think the biggest issue is proportioning. You seem to draw heads, necks and bodies a bit out of whack from eachother. Also, when drawing two characters, especially with similar builds, try and make them as consistent as possible to each other, (shape wise) since that will give your drawing balance and overall a better look.

When doing faces, it helps to make them as symmetrical as possible since for the most part people's faces have a symmetry.

NOW I am no authority on art, nor am I a professional but I can give you a tip that helps me every single time:

Something you may want to try to get your people's faces, and bodies, for that matter to turn out better is this: try drawing guidelines (don't be afraid to erase later) and try to get everything laid out before you put in ANY of the details. This will help you achieve the natural human symmetry as well as allowing you to fix anything that's wrong before you go through a lot of work.

I made a simple little example of what i'm talking about.

guidelines.jpg

Note that I have had, in the past (and continue to have) many/all of these issues I'm trying to help you with, so i know it's tricky.

ALL THAT SAID, I like you art and I think you have a lot of potential, and if you're serious about trying to be a better artist, I strongly encourage you to keep up the good work.

Skelaton, I'm sorry for the late response, but thank you. That really helped. I'm going to follow your advice and post a new drawing as soon as possible.

Suggestions anyone?