Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Power Gig: Rise of the Six String

seven45guitar.jpg

That's right, yet another gaming company trying to get its foot in the door of the, already saturated, music game genre...oh wait, this one actually acts as an actual guitar? I'm intrigued, please tell me more

So, as you may have guessed from the topic title, this is the new controller for the up-coming game Power Gig: Rise of the Six String. And apparently; its not too shabby

First things first, lets go over the controller. It has 2 modes; Guitar Controller Mode, and Electric Guitar Mode. Thats right, in addition to being able to play games with it, you can also plug it into your amp and play it although were a real gui...oh wait, it might as well be called a real guitar (you know, without being quite as awesome)

Sure, it might not look as classy as a standard Gibson Les Paul, or a Gibson SG, but it does mean that the game will actually involve some lessons in guitar playing. It won't teach you to read notes, but will give you some idea of what playing an actual guitar will be like

According to early reviews, the game is also receiving interest from some decent bands that have previously ignored GH and RB requests to get their songs into the game, because this will actually encourage people after playing to go and learn to play a real guitar

To me, it seems like this may be something to watch. I've always wanted to play a real guitar myself, but never had the money for a decent guitar and lessons

This game offers both of these things, at a probably cheaper price than paying for both a real electric guitar and lessons

So, what are your thoughts? Please, no over-the-top flaming that usually occurs in threads concerning GH or RB, either :lol:

Trailer:

i think it is an epic way to get started on g-tar u need to think of it as a tool of teaching :)

overall i think it is a good idea

Kinda cool, is there any video of it yet?
I had a quick look earlier, but haven't found anything yet

EDIT

Scrap that; I've just found a trailer, updating Original Post :P

Looks awesome! I'm definitely going to get this... Assuming there isn't an over-the-top price.
Which, no doubt, it might be

Remember when Rockband came out? The prices for the full band kit were massively over-priced

Ehh, pass. I'll wait until they make Key Board hero with a real keyboard. Seems better fitting for the average gamer/controller style/simpler mind/me.

At this point, I think it would be better to just get a real instrument.

Maybe, but here you know that if you suck at playing the guitar you can always go back to gaming, plus they are expensive.

EDIT:

The better quality the controller/guitar, the more expensive.

And as Sushidude said, might as well just get a guitar.

I get it but i mean i've been there, done that (i was learning to play and i had to sell(?) my guitar :cry: ), and it is hard to learn (at first), then some people may get dissapointed because they suck and give up and end up with an instrument you wont use.

However, if you are willing to play a guitar you shouldnt stick with games hoping you may learn.-i think

The better quality the controller/guitar, the more expensive.

And as Sushidude said, might as well just get a guitar.

At this point, I think it would be better to just get a real instrument.
A real, decent electric guitar would cost around £300 (for a low-end model). 5 Lessons on top of this to learn the basics would be an extra £150. Altogether, that's £450 for just the basics, having to teach yourself the rest

If this comes to anything lower than that, electric guitar AND basic lessons included (estimated £200) then that's a massive saving

I'm not thinking of it as a guitar controller anymore, that thing does everything a real guitar can do, therefore its a real guitar :lol:

There are a bunch of videos about this game now

The real gameplay is on the third video, on harder levels it's supposed to have a number referring to what string must be used.

I am going to be honest and say it does not look fun.

The real gameplay is on the third video, on harder levels it's supposed to have a number referring to what string must be used.

It doesn't matter anyway. This thing is never going to take off now that Rockband 3 already ripped it off left right and centre, with their 6-stringed controller :roll:

Damn you, Harmonix/MTV Games/EA

It doesn't matter anyway. This thing is never going to take off now that Rockband 3 already ripped it off left right and centre, with their 6-stringed controller :roll:

Not neccesarlily ripped off. MTV games could've been working on the RB3 concept before this game did. I think they developed the idea separately.

Really though, you won't learn how to really play guitar, and it isnt really as good natured and easy (and know, fun!) to pick up as guitar hero, so I think this sort game will have a limited audience.

Not neccesarlily ripped off. MTV games could've been working on the RB3 concept before this game did. I think they developed the idea separately.

Really though, you won't learn how to really play guitar, and it isnt really as good natured and easy (and know, fun!) to pick up as guitar hero, so I think this sort game will have a limited audience.

Yeah, I've actually started to teach myself guitar over the past couple of weeks. Its actually really fun. Shame I haven't had the time to practice lately :lol:

I have to agree with this. I heard about this concept back when it was announced back at the gaming summit. I thought "cool! I'll have to check this out."

Not that long after that, (maybe a month or two) RockBand announced the same thing. So I highly doubt it was a rip off. It's really too bad for the company that developed this too, having to now compete with an existing brand.