Sign in to follow this  
Roy-G-Biv

Scott Pilgrim vs the World THE GAME

Dude read the god damn books! the movie sucks if you red the books.

I'll have to respectully disagree. Even though the movie did have it's minor differences (Considering they were making it before/during the writing of Volume 6), it was faithful enough to make it truly awesome. Seriously, the actors and writing were pretty much perfect.

But anyway. Playing the game, i can't help but feel that they could've done more with the leveling up system.

They just messed up the last books in about 20min.

My point is not that the movie sucks its that the books are great.

So you hate it because it was different? I was expecting things to be different, after all, they started this movie like when the third book was out, or something like that. Bryan like gave them a whole bunch of notes of characters, story, and stuff like that. In the end I believe it was expected that not all things would be the same. Still pretty faithful to the books in my opinion.

Yeah patch and DLC coming Nov 9
Good news there then :)

They are adding the ability to get in and out of the game for second players without getting to the main menu, fixing average joe difficulty and some other stuff

Also fixing up some bugs.

Dude read the god damn books! the movie sucks if you red the books.

I'll have to respectully disagree. Even though the movie did have it's minor differences (Considering they were making it before/during the writing of Volume 6), it was faithful enough to make it truly awesome. Seriously, the actors and writing were pretty much perfect.

But anyway. Playing the game, i can't help but feel that they could've done more with the leveling up system.

They just messed up the last books in about 20min.

My point is not that the movie sucks its that the books are great.

It was announced months beforehand that the movie wasn't going to end the same as the books. As mentioned, the movie was in production by the third or fourth book, so the film only had notes to go on, at least by the very last book. And there is NOTHING wrong with that.

That said, I never expected it to be different because it's a movie. It's not a TV show, it's not a series of movies. It was just one single (amazing) film. Films aren't supposed to emulate the books that they're based off, otherwise what's the point? You'd just be seeing more of what you already know. Futhermore, it would be absurd to expect them to include nearly as much awesomeness the comics had in the time frame of a single film. This is a different art form and these n00bs who keep expecting things like "Watchmen" and "Fantastic Mr Fox" to be exactly the same as their comic/book counterparts completely miss the point of what film adaptions are supposed to be doing. Emulation is not the key to good film adaption.

Take A Clockwork Orange for example. The book was awesome and although there's a lot more to it, one of it's little quirks that made it so was the made up words that still meant something, such as "synthemesc" or "gulliver", often derived from the russian words. A lot of these were in the narration of the book and not something the film could ever emulate. I'm not even sure if they included any of these words, even in dialogue. My point is, don't expect a film to be what you've already read. Why? Because;

A) It's never going to be

B) It bloody well shouldn't be and,

C) It's a single -film- made by people with a lot of money who are aiming to please numerous audiences. You'll be lucky to find any artistic licenses retained by those who want to stay as true to the books.comics as possible.

In the case of SPvTW, we saw Hollywood (Universal, that is) back something that's generally considered "indie" and actually allowed it to stay very true to the book. The erratic editing, the score, the strategically interwoven intentionally terrible-but-great music... It was all brilliant. And no one saw it. I can only feel enraged at people as I don't think Universal will be to keen on jumping on many opportunity's to make "unconventional" films for awhile now :x

Hey guys, PATCH, MOVIE, & ADD-ON out tommorow! And as a bonus, DoTW is half-priced (400msp) Scott Pilgrim! Perfect timing! Anyone who hasn't experienced this awsomness has the chance to until Monday!

Hey guys, PATCH, MOVIE, & ADD-ON out tommorow! And as a bonus, DoTW is half-priced (400msp) Scott Pilgrim! Perfect timing! Anyone who hasn't experienced this awsomness has the chance to until Monday!

HOLY CRAP YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

I was actually waiting for it to be DoTW I was going to buy M$ points right nao thanks for telling me

I was actually waiting for it to be DoTW I was going to buy M$ points right nao thanks for telling me

Your Welcome ;)

Wish they would finally add online though (if thats possible to add this late)....

Your Welcome ;)

Wish they would finally add online though (if thats possible to add this late)....

They said something along the lines of "WE WILL NEVER EVER EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR ADD ONLINE TO SPVSTWTG SO STOP ASKING FOR IT"

They said something along the lines of "WE WILL NEVER EVER EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR ADD ONLINE TO SPVSTWTG SO STOP ASKING FOR IT"

Oh, I thought the only reason they didn't was to match a release date :P

Oh, I thought the only reason they didn't was to match a release date :P

The reason was probably making it cheap to develop and /or matching the release date yes

But i mean, after so many people asked for it that was their answer.

What they actually did bother to do with this game turned out amazing and pretty much how I expected it. So they decide to half-balloon the rest. Are you serious, Ubisoft? Ugh. At least they're releasing some of it with the movie, as well as patching things up... And they still couldn't add online play? I'm sorry but I really don't think it's that hard to incorporate it and I'm a little disgusted by all these people on the interwebs complaining about the complainers. I have a feeling none of these people have played CC online and seen how awesome online co-op beat-em-ups can be.

It's a genre made for it and I feel like I'm getting jibbed. It's not even a very big game. I finished it with every character in a week. What's more, the game has a pretty big tie-in to both the film (they're the one's releasing it the same day as the film) and the comics, as the box-set will have a bunch of awesome artwork from Paul Robertson... Ugh, again, idiots!

What they actually did bother to do with this game turned out amazing and pretty much how I expected it. So they decide to half-balloon the rest. Are you serious, Ubisoft? Ugh. At least they're releasing some of it with the movie, as well as patching things up... And they still couldn't add online play? I'm sorry but I really don't think it's that hard to incorporate it and I'm a little disgusted by all these people on the interwebs complaining about the complainers. I have a feeling none of these people have played CC online and seen how awesome online co-op beat-em-ups can be.

It's a genre made for it and I feel like I'm getting jibbed. It's not even a very big game. I finished it with every character in a week. What's more, the game has a pretty big tie-in to both the film (they're the one's releasing it the same day as the film) and the comics, as the box-set will have a bunch of awesome artwork from Paul Robertson... Ugh, again, idiots!

Do you make games online? If you don't, then you can't say if it is easy or not for other people to do it. Making games is alot harder than it looks, and if you don't have that experience, then I don't think you can be going around telling people that it is easy to make.

Why of course. Castle Crashers was also extremely short. SPVTWTG is also a 10$ game. Are you expecting a 10$ beat-em-up to be super long? Honestly, I played this game longer than Castle Crashers, and that was 15$. Beat-em-up are just short games. Yes, I see why online could have its perks, but is it really that great that it is absolutely needed? It holds off pretty well just as a single player game, and the multiplayer makes it amazing. If you have friends you would like to play with who are at different places, I understand. However, it is just something you have to deal with. You have many other options for online co-op, so it is not like it is the end of the world. Scott Pilgrim will probably never have online, and that is something you just have to deal with. To me, it is not that bad. It holds off great as a single player game for me. It would have been nice if it was there though.

Again, a beat-em-up does not do too well if it is super long. It can get really dull if you have to play through many MANY stages in a beat-em-up game to beat it. For a series tie-in, as a beat-em-up, it worked perfectly IMO.

Just got the movie right in time in order to get about 10$ bucks off on it! Can't wait! Also, we should add that it is 400msp this week to the title! HURRY! SO MORE PEOPLE CAN ENJOY IT! :D

Can't wait to play as Knives! :D

Do you make games online? If you don't, then you can't say if it is easy or not for other people to do it. Making games is alot harder than it looks, and if you don't have that experience, then I don't think you can be going around telling people that it is easy to make.

Why of course. Castle Crashers was also extremely short. SPVTWTG is also a 10$ game. Are you expecting a 10$ beat-em-up to be super long? Honestly, I played this game longer than Castle Crashers, and that was 15$. Beat-em-up are just short games. Yes, I see why online could have its perks, but is it really that great that it is absolutely needed? It holds off pretty well just as a single player game, and multiplayer makes it amazing. If you have friends you would like to play with who are at different places, I understand. However, it is just something you have to deal with. You have many other options for online co-op, so it is not like it is the end of the world. Scott Pilgrim will probably never have online, and that is something you just have to deal with. To me, it is not that bad. It holds off great as a single player game for me.

Again, a beat-em-up does not do too well if it is super long. It can get really dull if you have to play through many MANY stages in a beat-em-up game to beat it. For a series tie-in, as a beat-em-up, it worked perfectly IMO.

Okay. First off, I have to thank you for not actually attacking me and thinking about your response. I know that may seem silly but I rarely get them, so it's nice not to be attacked right off the bat for opinion. However, my comment had nothing to do with making games but incorporating online. We've seen it a million times in the past, where online can be added later. Second, are you telling me with all the people, resources and money they have that it would honestly take that long to make it online? That said, no, I don't make them so I couldn't give an honest opinion on how hard it would be for them to add online co-op. I'm merely accounting lessons in history.

When I say short, I'm including replayability. Castle Crashers is an exceptionally long, yet still fun Beat-'Em-Up, breaking the barrier with Insane mode, hidden weapons, pets, items and above all, well over 20 characters. SPVTWTG has 5. Nearly 6. CC also has more focus on stats, longer build up and a hell of a lot more then 16 levels. I wasn't expecting much more then that for the $10 price tag - in fact, I found it to be perfectly adequate but something that would really make the game shine for me (and has in the past) is multiplayer. I get that some people, probably most Americans and Europeans, have a few people they could call up and have their friends over to play through it together. But I don't.

I live in Australia and gaming, though it's really starting to boom, isn't as big or popular because the masses are, for the most part, mornic douchebags. I know this isn't just here but there's just that aspect of Australian culture that's held back the gaming market for quite some time now. It's only starting to get huge now because people can play online with thier friends, no matter how far away they are, actually giving them an option to play multiplayer games properly. Don't get me wrong - I love the game how it is. Immensely. I'm to much of a SP fanboy to not adore it. I just feel it's a bad business choice.

I bolded your last statement because it's so true. Despite all I've said, I adore this game not because it's a SP thing but because it's a SP tie-in done in such a considered, well thought-out manner. It's rare to find tie-in games that are any good and this one is more then good - it's debatably perfect.

Why of course. Castle Crashers was also extremely short. SPVTWTG is also a 10$ game. Are you expecting a 10$ beat-em-up to be super long? Honestly, I played this game longer than Castle Crashers, and that was 15$. Beat-em-up are just short games. Yes, I see why online could have its perks, but is it really that great that it is absolutely needed? It holds off pretty well just as a single player game, and multiplayer makes it amazing. If you have friends you would like to play with who are at different places, I understand. However, it is just something you have to deal with. You have many other options for online co-op, so it is not like it is the end of the world. Scott Pilgrim will probably never have online, and that is something you just have to deal with. To me, it is not that bad. It holds off great as a single player game for me.

Okay. First off, I have to thank you for not actually attacking me and thinking about your response. I know that may seem silly but I rarely get them, so it's nice not to be attacked right off the bat for opinion. However, my comment had nothing to do with making games but incorporating online. We've seen it a million times in the past, where online can be added later. Second, are you telling me with all the people, resources and money they have that it would honestly take that long to make it online? That said, no, I don't make them so I couldn't give an honest opinion on how hard it would be for them to add online co-op. I'm merely accounting lessons in history.

When I say short, I'm including replayability. Castle Crashers is an exceptionally long, yet still fun Beat-'Em-Up, breaking the barrier with Insane mode, hidden weapons, pets, items and above all, well over 20 characters. SPVTWTG has 5. Nearly 6. CC also has more focus on stats, longer build up and a hell of a lot more then 16 levels. I wasn't expecting much more then that for the $10 price tag - in fact, I found it to be perfectly adequate but something that would really make the game shine for me (and has in the past) is multiplayer. I get that some people, probably most Americans and Europeans, have a few people they could call up and have their friends over to play through it together. But I don't.

I live in Australia and gaming, though it's really starting to boom, isn't as big or popular because the masses are, for the most part, mornic douchebags. I know this isn't just here but there's just that aspect of Australian culture that's held back the gaming market for quite some time now. It's only starting to get huge now because people can play online with thier friends, no matter how far away they are, actually giving them an option to play multiplayer games properly. Don't get me wrong - I love the game how it is. Immensely. I'm to much of a SP fanboy to not adore it. I just feel it's a bad business choice.

I bolded your last statement because it's so true. Despite all I've said, I adore this game not because it's a SP thing but because it's a SP tie-in done in such a considered, well thought-out manner. It's rare to find tie-in games that are any good and this one is more then good - it's debatably perfect.

Your welcome. I think that stupid bashing doesn't really get people anywhere, and ends up causing more problems. Thank you for not bashing me in the end. I was scared that it may have seemed that way. It was a good thing that it didn't.

Yes you were talking about online. Me saying games, that was just a mistake on my part. I didn't explain it well enough. I thought of it as in general. I was thinking it as online getting made into a game, so I thought of making a game, as online is a part of it, making it into the game, and you know. What you are saying is true though, it wouldn't probably take too long to do it. I was thinking of all the bugs they'll have to fix and stuff. I think that dealing with bugs and all that stuff, people breaking the game such as the super high level in CC, that online can be tough to make and maintain for a long period of time. I however, also don't have experience in making online either. Maybe it is easier than I think. I don't know.

As for Castle Crasher, this is all my opinion, but I didn't find the replay to be too amazing to be honest. (This is very long, so I am putting it in spoilers.)

To me, characters all act pretty much same, most of them only having their Y magic act differently. Sword combat is the same for all except the Green Knight, but that is only like one move. Animation for each one is pretty much the same also. Soon, it kept feeling like I was playing as the same character each time, which started to bore me. With SP, I find that even though there is less characters, there is much more variety between them. For example, Stephen Stills is slower than the rest of the characters, but he deals more damage. Moves work differently too. With Stephen, he can almost never hit a person on the ground with his running attacks, because they are both above his body, if Kim does enough combos she'll go into her slap attack when she has it, and the secret character has the coolest looking low attack, however it is also the most slowest one of them all, so you can't dish out as much damage. This is just a small scrap of the differences. Each character also has their own animations. Overall, when I played each time, it really felt like I was playing as somebody with their own special abilities, which made it fresh each time I played it. I also didn't like that pretty much all the characters you unlock are just your foes. Plus, they all have the same animations and stuff. This started to make things dull for me, as you are pretty much fighting less smart versions of your character, in which you unlock in the end. I like when beat-em-ups have a whole bunch of different types of enemies each stage, which is what SP had. As with CC the enemies were also just versions of you, which pretty much make up most of your normal foes, as the others appear very little, it disappointed me a little. The animals and weapons were done well, but I found that some pets only had very limited use, leaving most people to only use certain pets and leaving the others to rest forever in the shed. Combat also started getting dull in CC, as it is very basic when it comes to beating people up. In SP, it has to have like the most amount of ways to beat up somebody I have seen in a beat-em-up yet. You are giving a whole bunch of moves which each has their own uses. I like that. So pretty much, CC just got kinda boring for me. With SP, it still remains fun. Not saying CC is bad, if I am making that out. To me, CC is my second favorite beat-em-up, with SP being first. Anyways, I also found CC to be easy normally, but insane mode does bring up quite a battle. Both are extremely fun experiences in multiplayer, and to me, it would be great to get both of them.

So in the end, to me it felt that it was more fun to replay SP than CC, and that CC's wasn't too great, as most things ended up being too similar to each other.

Yeah, I know that some people can't get people to come to their house. Kinda sucks. To me, online would have been nice, but not game breaking to me, as I pretty much just play by myself anyways. I can see it as damage to others, still.

Bad business choice? I guess I can agree with that. Heck, some people didn't even buy the game and think it is horrible just because it doesn't have online. For shame. That is why I am kinda bitter about this stuff. To me, some people make it seem like every game needs to have online to be any good, and really disagree with that.

And that is true. Probably this has to be one of the best tie-in games to ever be made. Thanks for a good debate! :)

Patch is not out yet. Movie is not out yet. Add-on is not out yet

Well, the DLC will probably be released later

But the film isn't out on DVD until December 27th in the UK anyway. You would at least think they'd make the release date sometime before Christmas

Thats bad marketing right thar :lol:

Patch is not out yet. Movie is not out yet. Add-on is not out yet

Well, the DLC will probably be released later

But the film isn't out on DVD until December 27th in the UK anyway. You would at least think they'd make the release date sometime before Christmas

Thats bad marketing right thar :lol:

I heard that the patch is up on the PS3.

No DLC though, yet. Xbox360 has nothing.

Movie is out right now in the States, and they said they wanted to release it during the time the DVD comes out.

If it isn't out by the 10th, I guess we'll have to wait till next week. After all, there was like no buzz about the release date for the DLC and patch, so probably, yeah. :(

EDIT: THANK YOU!

http://www.destructoid.com/scott-pilgri ... 6849.phtml

It is coming out this week! Cheers! :D

Yeah, They decided to only release the add-on on PS3 the same day as the movie. So, 360 owners get nothing until later and as Chris said the movie is only out in the US (apparently). SOooooo, I need to get that movie before the weekend is over :D

This game is EVIL

RIght after i defeated the last guy the game froze, i got the supreme master achievement but didn't get the beat the game with scott one, i will beat it again later.

Anyone else thinks that Neil should be a playable char?

From the video I saw, Knives looks like a Kim Pine Clone. Shell probably be faster and weaker though or something...

At least she isn't just a color swap, as her animations are a bit different, and some parts of it were changed, you know. So graphic wise, she is less of clone than spoilers, (Unlockable Character)

Nega Scott

Plus she also has her own neat animations too. WHY MUST WE XBOX360 PEOPLE WAIT LONGER!? :x

It's on sale so I decided to get it last night. Gonna go play it noaw.

Sweet. That deal is only for gold members, correct?

Totally worth the 5 bucks. I've never enjoyed being so frustrated at a game as much as that. I was hoping that I wouldn't be too powerful to overcome bosses easily, and I'm glad that this game is so much more challenging than I expected.

Totally worth the 5 bucks. I've never enjoyed being so frustrated at a game as much as that. I was hoping that I wouldn't be too powerful to overcome bosses easily, and I'm glad that this game is so much more challenging than I expected.
It was challenging, but once i maxed the strength i found it fairly easy to be honest (I have never played on other than Supreme Master)