Sign in to follow this  
nickes

Behemoth, please bring your works to Steamworks (details ins

Hello, The Behemoth team, just your average friendly user here (all lies)

Anyway, since two years ago, or one, i've retired from xbox, and went back to pc gaming!

Now, i was one of the early birds buying all of your games on xbox live arcade

and it's great to see how much you guys have grown, i mean, i spread the game to friends via word of mouth, but man, you guys got some serious sales, and now you're able to make even another game!

And i hear you're porting castle crashers to play station network, which is great!

now if i remember correctly, which i probably don't

the behemoth is a small team, unless you've expanded since (the first day release of castle crashers) then you probably have a-lot of work on your hands

but after your release of castle crashers via playstation, us computer users would like some of the action as well

Now, i'm proposing the absolute easiest way (in my opinion) to get your game on a large scale selling list via computer

Steamworks!

Now, you may ask, what is steamworks? what features does steamworks have?

Well before i link you to steamworks, let me tell you!

Steamworks, is a tool provided for developers who want to sell a game on steam (which is basically the largest game provider for computers, via digital distribution, and in my opinion, they are much nicer then microsoft, if you guys know what i mean)

So, here are some of the key features of steamworks, and some suggestions!

Friends list - ability to see friends playing your game, and the ability to see what level they're on, what game mode, how many players are in the game, the players scores, and the players names, all via "View game info" on friends

Steam cloud - ability to save game files, and configs via steam cloud, an external server which stores on valves hard drives, and yours too i believe, to save players content links to their accounts, so i can be on this computer, play to level 5, change some graphic settings, and quit the game, the game will then sync with steam cloud, and say.. i feel like going to a friends house, i can login to my steam account there, install castle crashers, and BAM! i have my level 5 character, and option configs all right there just by syncing with steam cloud

mac support - steamworks now offers the ability for developers to release their game for pc AND mac!

micro-transactions - Now, valve, unlike microsoft, allows you to freely update and distribute content to your games, if you need to release a hotfix patch immediately, you CAN, want to release down-loadable content, but without having it going through microsofts long testing process, and having them force you to put a price tag, well you can, yes, you can offer your content FOR FREE or for a payment, it's your decisions, not microsofts. :)

Achievements - steam achievements, add achievements to your games, which players can earn on their accounts, and you can see global statistics, how many players are online, how many percentage of the players got that achievement, compare achievements with friends, and etc

Dedicated server support - Via steam you can release a dedicated server tool for users, so they can host their own servers, which will go running 24/7 via provider, and give users a better way to game, and without lag! also servers can run tons of game modes, but what will be up to you to make the dedicated server tool , and its abilities to rotate levels, and more, which would be decided by the person hosting the server of course

Easiest way to distribute (in my opinion) Once you announce that you're going to bring a game to steam, valve will most likely, announce it right on the main page, and it will say Pre-purchase now, people will buy the game, and if you want, be able to pre-load it via encryption (download the game before it comes out) and then decrypt it upon release, so people can start playing as soon as it releases

also, upon good reviews, the game will spread, and being on steam, you're showing off your title to 2,000,000 active players

And, there's still more!

You can release a source developers kit (SDK)

which allows players, to make maps via SDK, models, weapons, script events, attributes and more, so players can make levels, weapons, characters, magic and more for you, and if you guys like it, you can make it "official" and release it to EVERY single player via an update, so every single player can get that custom made content.

Official steam group - Along with your game, you can make a steam group, which players of your game join, and you can make announcements, on upcoming patches, new games, and more, you make announcements just like a developers blog, or you can make an announcement, then link players to the blog, and there is a comment section, so all the players who read the blog via steam, can comment, and you can freely read their excitement, or disappointment, an easy way to keep in touch with your players!

Anti-cheat - Steamworks can , if you want, come with VAC (valve-anti cheat) software, which you can use to prevent cheaters, and once a players triggers a VAC ban, they are permanently banned from playing your game for cheating, and it uses a delayed system, so players don't know which cheat banned them.

So please The behemoth, from a computer gamer to you

consider releasing your game to the pc and mac community worldwide via steam, using steamworks.. Not just castle crashers, but all of your upcoming titles as well

and now, here is the link for steamworks, which includes much more details on everything i wrote, and how to get started..

hopefully you can consider, and this will help you guys expand as well to become a bigger company, and be multi-platform game developers, and be really successful!

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/index.php

and the official steam website, so you can browse it and see how games are distributed, and the player base, and more

http://www.steampowered.com

and the stats (player base daily)

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Sincerly,

Nickes

Also, users who would like to see this game available on pc and mac, please discuss here, and show your support, also look into steam and steamworks, and try it out for yourself to see if this is a smart idea for the behemoth, the more support from the users, maybe a better chance of getting this to actually happen!

if you talk about putting CC on the pc (i dont have the courage to read all of this but i read enough) then i would say again that CC will look akward with a keyboard and a mouse and it will be too easy to hack since it's on the pc even with steam

it's just my opinion

edit: ok not too easy to hack but when 1 person will hack it it will share it with everyone

Yeah i agree, cc for pc WOULD BE EFFIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!! But yeah, would be too easy to hack and cheat and it would be wierd to use a keyboard for it (aslong as you don't have a gamepad). But it would be kewl

if you talk about putting CC on the pc (i dont have the courage to read all of this but i read enough) then i would say again that CC will look akward with a keyboard and a mouse and it will be too easy to hack since it's on the pc even with steam

it's just my opinion

edit: ok not too easy to hack but when 1 person will hack it it will share it with everyone

Well, when they port the game to the computer, they will have to optimize the controls for keyboard, and the original alien hominoid was on the pc, and the controls works fine

along other things, they would have to add options for resolutions, up to 2560x1600, windowed mode, incase people want to play like that, and three to four graphic options, since it's a side scroller, it can just have the basic, high, medium, low or very high , high, medium, low, like most flash games

also, incase you did or didn't know, you can use ps3 and 360 controllers on the computer, because 360 controller and ps3 controllers have usb ports, which you can plug right into a usb slot, but then again it would be up to the developers or the users (there are a-lot of third party programs, which can make games that don't work for controllers to work for them)

but the devs can just make a 360controller config, and a ps3controller config, and as soon as a person plugs it into their pc, windows installs the drivers, and if the game supports it, it can read that you have a controller and the player can use a 360 controller, ps3, or keyboard, it would be up to them

so no problems with that

as for hacking files, steamworks includes a-lot of features that i didn't mention, which you can read on the steamworks page that i have linked at the bottom of the post, with steam cloud, you can make it so the files are only hosted server side, so there can be no client editing, or they can make the level files Read-only and encrypted, so they can't be edited by the user, only in-game, and it would have an encryption so it can't be opened

ontop of that, there can be a-lot of other security measures against it, and since on steam you're NOT limited by valve at all, like they are with microsoft, they can freely erase people from leaderboards, see if someone leveled up too quick and reset them, and freely patch there game

Also, the developers can before release put their game in a public or private beta, which can be accessed by cd-key or code only, and be used for testing before release

ontop of that, they can release the game via steam, and in-store, so when people buy it instore it will automatically install steam if they do not have it, or if they do it will install right to steam, and begin to take advantage of all of the features of steamworks

and check this, steam is free (besides the games) you can do whatever you like on steam, set up your profile how you want, change your name freely, make groups, and gift games..

so behemoth has a-lot of amazing features, and i see this as the easiest way to get the game out, also Valve will help them take use of all the steamwork features, and i'm sure if they asked for help for anti-cheat measures, such as editing files, i'm sure that valve could explain how to do it safely, and secure...

so users get a blog for behemoth

patches when behemoth wants to release them

all steamwork features

ability to download add-ons/downloadable content, and if behemoth wants to release them for free, they can

So i hope this explains everything, and i really hope behemoth looks into it, and i'm assuming the game was made on computer, then optimized around xbox, also i believe the game only has one graphic mode, because i think it is hand drawn, so the only way to get lower quality graphics, would be to redraw the game at lesser qualities, which i don't think is worth doing, it will be just like plants vs zombies, resolution settings, and windowed mode (which is basically the mode that makes the game run in a small window, and gives the users double the framerate, and better graphics because it's being smashed together with all the pixels)

and besides, for this game i'm assuming vsync is enabled the entire time, but i don't know how to avoid the 16.67 ms mouse delay with vsync, although plants vs zombies was able to do it, and include no screen tearing, with no vsync delay

Anyway, continue to post, glad to see you guys like the idea, i'm sure thousands of pc and mac gamers would love it aswell

Saying controls would be weird is like saying every since flash game is hard as hell to play.

Saying it would be easy to hack I have one thing to say, VAC ;)

i'm too lazy to read all of this :lol: yhea i know that i can use my ps3 controller on the pc but i'm still gonna buy it on the psn instead of the pc and by hack i mean like getting the game for free not changing the level and tralala and there's the thing that people made the game run on non-steam and online hamachi server and stuff like that so it's kinda easy once 1 find a way in all of this

Saying controls would be weird is like saying every since flash game is hard as hell to play.

Saying it would be easy to hack I have one thing to say, VAC ;)

and VAC is not invincible when i'm playing my steam game there's a lot of hacker most of the time ( i don't know now since i don't play much these time)

so again it's only my opinion and i hope for YOU that TB look into this but for me it's not really important

i'm too lazy to read all of this :lol: yhea i know that i can use my ps3 controller on the pc but i'm still gonna buy it on the psn instead of the pc and by hack i mean like getting the game for free not changing the level and tralala and there's the thing that people made the game run on non-steam and online hamachi server and stuff like that so it's kinda easy once 1 find a way in all of this

Saying it would be easy to hack I have one thing to say' date=' VAC ;)[/quote']

and VAC is not invincible when i'm playing my steam game there's a lot of hacker most of the time ( i don't know now since i don't play much these time)

so again it's only my opinion and i hope for YOU that TB look into this but for me it's not really important

you know only like 10 games in the world use VAC at the moment

all of valve games

call of duty modern warfare 2

altitude

shattered horizon

and that's about it

a-lot of games on steam use steamworks, features like steamcloud, and SDK, and dedicated server support, but some have their own alternative anti-cheats, now when you make a game with steamworks (which you don't have to, but the features are worth it) you can use whatever features of steamworks you want, you can exclude certain ones, or use them all

and vac does a pretty good job, the only game that it preforms poorly on is call of duty modern warfare 2, but that is infinity wards problems, not valves

Also, i understand that you will buy this for your playstation, but there are thousands, if not millions of gamers on the computer who don't even know about castle crashers, because there is no news about it, and a-lot of them don't have a playstation or an xbox, so this is for those users

i see it as a benefit for the behemoth, to expand multi platform, make some extra cash, and continue on from there

also i see the behemoth like i see iDgames, a small group of people willing to put a-lot of effort into a game, and make it great, just like iD did with quake, i see that same spark with the behemoth, and really want to see them expand and become one of the best developers out there, i honestly have them in my top five at the moment

Anyway, all and all, thanks for your comments, hope to see more support, and maybe get an official response on this ^__^

Guest omega_peaches

it's just my opinion

You can connect an Xbox controller if it's so "awkward."

I think they could put in Valve anti-cheat, but IDK.

I think there woulkd be a better chance of AH coming to steam then CC (seeing as how level 1-1 is already made on PC).

Also, how do you connect PS3 controllers to PC? Just put the USB part in the USB port? Or do you have to configure something.

I think there woulkd be a better chance of AH coming to steam then CC (seeing as how level 1-1 is already made on PC).

Also, how do you connect PS3 controllers to PC? Just put the USB part in the USB port? Or do you have to configure something.

you need a wired ps3 or 360 controller, and then you just plug the controller into your USB port, and if you have windows xp, vista, or 7, the drivers will automatically install, after about 5-10 seconds, then the controller will be enabled, although, only games that say "controller support" can use a controller,

but there is a third party tool, which can make any game usable by controller, you just download it, and you can remap the keyboard keys to the controller, so say

walk forward is w, and melee is f, then you would place w as up on the joystick, and melee as sqaure or circle, and then the game would read those as keyboard strokes

cool is it not?

also, i don't see any reason why you would want to use a controller, as you have about a 4x advantage with a mouse and keyboard, but i guess for a fun casual game, like castle crashers, then yes a controller would be more suitable

keep those replies comin! :)

you need a wired ps3 or 360 controller, and then you just plug the controller into your USB port, and if you have windows xp, vista, or 7, the drivers will automatically install, after about 5-10 seconds, then the controller will be enabled, although, only games that say "controller support" can use a controller,

but there is a third party tool, which can make any game usable by controller, you just download it, and you can remap the keyboard keys to the controller, so say

walk forward is w, and melee is f, then you would place w as up on the joystick, and melee as sqaure or circle, and then the game would read those as keyboard strokes

cool is it not?

also, i don't see any reason why you would want to use a controller, as you have about a 4x advantage with a mouse and keyboard, but i guess for a fun casual game, like castle crashers, then yes a controller would be more suitable

keep those replies comin! :)

TL;DR joy2key

That mainly applies to fps games :P

TL;DR joy2key

really?? i could have played my L4D with my ps3 controller :lol:

also, i don't see any reason why you would want to use a controller, as you have about a 4x advantage with a mouse and keyboard)

TL;DR joy2key

really?? i could have played my L4D with my ps3 controller :lol:

also, i don't see any reason why you would want to use a controller, as you have about a 4x advantage with a mouse and keyboard)

It's more comfortable for a console player that has never played on pc or has years without playing on pc.

I don't think it matters much unless you are playing against humans in multiplayer.

It's more comfortable for a console player that has never played on pc or has years without playing on pc.

I don't think it matters much unless you are playing against humans in multiplayer.

also i like to use unusual things it feel different and i never played online because i was lagging like hell online :| and maybe my friend would have like to play while i was playing since it was his game. i was just playing in steam offline mode

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-3 ... 10924.html

Obvious fact is obvious pal.

If someone plays with a controller vs a mouse mouse will win.

On the other hand, i have heard pc elitist saying that pc players are better than console players, i disagree since console players play against console players (controller vs controller), while pc players is mouse vs mouse.

As for playing in a computer vs a console i do think the mouse is superior for aiming and whatnot,

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-3 ... 10924.html

Obvious fact is obvious pal.

If someone plays with a controller vs a mouse mouse will win.

On the other hand, i have heard pc elitist saying that pc players are better than console players, i disagree since console players play against console players (controller vs controller), while pc players is mouse vs mouse.

As for playing in a computer vs a console i do think the mouse is superior for aiming and whatnot,

it's great that you two are having this argument, but please continue it in private messages, this is about trying to get the behemoth to bring their video game creations to us players on the computer (and mac, because it's possible now) :)

also, a pc player and a console player can't say who is better, it's just that the majority of the people on pc, have been playing longer, and there are more competitions on the computer, than the consoles, which is why they say "pc players are better" it has nothing to do with what they're playing, but WHO is playing, if a player is actually as good as they say, they should be able to dominate you on both computer and console...

anyway, please stay on topic :)

Guest pendulousphallus

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see your games hit Steam (and Mac!) Hand animated old-school frantic beauties with amazing gameplay from what I remember of NewGrounds.

I would be the first to buy Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, and that other game you guys released without telling me if they all came to Mac via Steam.

With love,

--Pendy.

Guest Juicebox360

Bringing this game to Steam would definitely be a BIG plus not only to Behemoth, but the PC gaming community as well. Considering that Valve has a good track record with other game developers (source) that offer content on Steam, this would be a win-win situation for all.

pmuB fo egrup

(bump of purge!)

It's only been a day. :| Bump it after, like, a month of inactivity or something.

A year or two would be fine in my book